Thread: Seth Lovers Review!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Seth Lovers Review!!!

I love them!!!

Here's some background info: I recently bought these off of our forum bro The Usual, and received them yesterday, installed them today. I put them in my SG Standard because although I couldn't imagine a better neck pickup in that guitar than the Pearly Gates that was in there, I was hating the lack of bass in the custom custom. So when I saw these pop up in the trading post I definitely wanted to give them a shot. I'm planning on putting the Pearly Gates in to my Ibanez so it'll have a good home, and I'll put a ceramic in the custom custom and try that in the Ibanez as well, if I like that I'll sell the evo, and if I don't I'll sell the custom custom. I'm proud to say I now have a big box full of pickups, mostly stock but now a couple SDs not installed in anything yet.

After playing them for a few hours this evening I thought I'd post my first impressions. I have yet to crank the amp so I haven't gotten them to feedback, but at high gain at bedroom levels they didn't feedback at all.

THE REVIEW:

Neck Seth Lover: The juries still out on this one, in no way am I liking this like the Pearly Gates. I tend to like a bright neck pickup, which the Pearly Gates fit perfectly, it had a decent bite, some low end warmth and just enough top end sparkle. Right now I'm finding the Seth Lover neck really dark, but not dark or compressed. I still have to really tweak them, and I should get it a bit brighter by lowering the pickup and raising the screw pole pieces. It's definitely the smoothest roundest sounding pickup I've played, but at the same time has a lot of overtones and picks up EVERY little nuance of my technique. I like the sensitivity of the pickup, its very dynamic and shows when you make a mistake. The lower output works well with my amp which won't go very clean but does very well with these pickups. I bought these because lately I've been using low gain sounds a lot but since putting these in tonight I've been cranking up the distortion and listening to the guitar scream, it's the best heavily distorted tone I've ever got, both from the bridge and neck, which was surprising.

Bridge Seth Lover: The first chord I struck made me breath a big sigh of relief. I was definitely ready for a change from the custom custom, as I had been using the neck pickup almost exclusively for the last few months (though I liked it for quite a while, I feel its better suited for a guitar with a natural abundance of bass and lack of mids, and it didn't balance with the Pearly Gates at all IMO at least in my guitar). I have yet to get a bad sound out of this pickup. I'm guessing its pretty hard to choose a bridge pickup for an SG that doesn't sound thin but has a classic tone at the same time, because I haven't had much luck with that so far. This pickup has just the right amount of bite to it, its not dull by any means, but not harsh either. Notes seem to blossom, it really responds to how you play it. I'm absolutely loving the high gain, its very thick and natural, and the low gain sounds are very bluesy. Makes a perfect set with the neck Seth Lover, the in-between position is so good that although I have my doubts about the neck Seth Lover, the in-between position is good enough to make up for that.

Closing comments: It's definitely hard to describe these pickups, the mojo they have isn't something I can define. They really react to my playing and I haven't had this much fun noodling around with some ACDC songs in a long time. I would like to thank our forum bro The Usual for the smooth transaction, they were packed well and he gave plenty of advice for dealing with feedback in case I run in to those problems. I also want to recommend others to try the foam with holes drilled through it as a replacement for springs to mount the pickups (this foam was like that of a cheap sandal, and was shipped with the pickup).

Now, others chime in with your experiences on the Seth Lovers, theres no way I can be the only one surprised by how good they are under hi gain?

Also I'll be sure to post pics because the guitar looks simply beautiful with covered pickups in it again. Next string change I'm taking the covers off and trying with zebra for awhile. Cheers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seth Lovers Review!!!

I'm not really a high gain guy, but you're right. The Seths, although unpotted, do extremely well under gain. Great mids too. Some players don't like the a2 pickups in SGs. I figure if it works for Derek Trucks, it must be okay

I've always wondered what a Seth-b PG-n combo would sound like. Let me know if you go back to the PG in the neck
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a pg neck with a seth bridge could work great in that guitar, i always love a pgn in the neck of a sg type guitar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

awesome review of the seths man, can't wait to install one in the bridge.
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Jeremy. I love the Seth Bridge, but like you, I think the Seth neck is too dark for my taste. I'm much more of a fan of neck pickups like the PG, Jazz bridge and neck, and 59n. I think you'd ultimately like the Seth/PGn.

I also agree about the CC. I like the A5 C5 and ceramic Custom much more.
    Maybe you could trade your Seth neck for a Jazz, PG, or 59. I like brighter neck pickups too, since there's more attack on the note.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried a set of Seths in my SG. To me, the neck was too dark and the bridge was too bright. I kept the neck pickup, but replaced the magnet with an A5. As for the bridge, I replaced it with the stock 490t.
    This machine kills fascists

Ultimate Tone Slacker Marinblues's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

absolutely great pickups.

M.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in the right guitar i think the pair is great, but a seth set in an sg can be tricky to set up perfectly. it can be done but typically it means having the neck pup about flush with the ring with the poles raised and the bridge pretty close with the poles flush

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had Seths in my SG/LP for quite a while and don't think I'll be changing anytime soon. They're great sounding. Perfect for the SG (very Clapton/Cream sounding).

Had 'em in my Hamer Archtop which is a thicker piece of mahogany, but a similar guitar to the SG, and they were awesome sounding. If I ever pull them out of the SG they'll go right back into the Hamer.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    in the right guitar i think the pair is great, but a seth set in an sg can be tricky to set up perfectly. it can be done but typically it means having the neck pup about flush with the ring with the poles raised and the bridge pretty close with the poles flush
    Yep, tried that trick, and while it will get you there, it still didn't quite do the trick.

I think part of the problem with the bridge is that an SG (or at least my model) doesn't use wrings, so the pickup is parallel to the body and not tilted and parallel with the strings ala a Les Paul. This means that the bridge side is farther away. On the other hand, I tried tilting the pickup manually, but it really didn't seem to thicken it up much. In a way, having the neck side of the bridge pickup closer to the strings might make the tone thicker than it otherwise would be (maybe).

Either way, this is a case where I prefered the stock Gibson pickups, at least in the bridge position. The neck 490r was complete mud and overpowered the bridge.
    Last edited by MattPete; 03-23-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    This machine kills fascists

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the problem is not only the angle, the bridge pickup is a bit nearer to the bridge on a SG than it is on a LP. this accounts for an overly bright tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I loved the PGn and Custom5b in my SG. Les Pauls I prefer A2, so been using PG bridge and neck. Used many others CC, C5, Custom, 59, AIIpro, 57 classics and many others. Seem to always come back to PGates. Just orders a set of Seth Lovers for my Elitist LP Custom. I had them years ago in my Gibson XR-1 and loved them.

One of my favs in the bridge was a 59b with A2 mag. Not sure how that compares to a Seth, but on paper, they are very similar. Can't wait to get my Seths.

Mike

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Necroposting is rampant these days, uh?
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post
    Necroposting is rampant these days, uh?
    Yes, old post but thought I would chime in.

Who loves you baby......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Janglin_Jack View Post
    Who loves you baby......
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy