Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alnico 8 versus Alnico 5?

Ultimate Tone Member wickenspoet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alnico 8 versus Alnico 5?

Saw that Crazy 8 pickup. What will an Alnico 8 magnet sound like compared to an Alnico 5?

shogunlegend

Default Re: Alnico 8 versus Alnico 5?

i don't know becuase i did search for it in the forums, but people only talked around it mainly. i haven't found where anyone actually described it real well. as far as i can tell, it's weaker than alnico 5 but has more midrange.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, A8 is MUCH MUCH stronger than A5. It's got all the punch of ceramic, maybe more, but with a fatter, sweeter Alnico attitude.

A5 is scooped in the mids a bit, depending on how fully charged it is, while A8 has tons of mids and a sweet, A2-like top.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Questionologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's also Alnico 9, which I assume is stronger, but I've never been able to get ahold of any. A8 is plenty strong anyway, 9 would probably pull down satellites.

There may also be A10 and A12, but I haven't been able to verify beyond some obscure references to them via Google searches.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It wasn't my choice to have parallel axis poles, mostly because I use nickel covers.

My worry about PA poles is that they have a strong magnetic pull, and so does Alnico 8. Do you think stringpull will be an issue with the Crazy 8?
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Questionologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed the PA poles were just steel like humbucker slugs, not Alnico. Otherwise no need for a bar magnet at all because it's just a Stag Mag with 24 little Alnico rectangles instead of 12 Alnico rods.

If I'm right, all the magnetic pull will be provided by the A8, not the PA poles, so the A8 will be the source of excessive pull problems, if any, not the poles.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pole pieces, being in contact with the magnet, are magnetized. It is the magnetic field of the pole pieces that the string vibrates within. The magnet determines how strong the magnetic field is.

But Parallel Axis pole pieces are just steel, same as screw pole pieces. I don't know why the field would be stronger because of the shape of the polepieces. Shaped differently, yes.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Questionologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
    The pole pieces, being in contact with the magnet, are magnetized. It is the magnetic field of the pole pieces that the string vibrates within. The magnet determines how strong the magnetic field is.
    That's what I figured.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    It wasn't my choice to have parallel axis poles, mostly because I use nickel covers.

My worry about PA poles is that they have a strong magnetic pull, and so does Alnico 8. Do you think stringpull will be an issue with the Crazy 8?
    I have a PATB-1 and a PATB-2, they seem to have much less magnetic pull on the strings than the standard buckers I have (C5s, JBs, DDs, Dimebucker, even the PG). They really ring so much longer that it really stands out as an attribute of the PA design.

What is even kind of humorous is that I have Sustainiacs in both PATB equipped guitars, they sustain so well that I often check to see if I left the Sustainiac on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't the point of the PA design to lessen string pull and increase sustain? So even if an Alnico VIII is stronger than an Alnico V the string pull shouldn't be a huge issue.
    Last edited by ericpd; 05-03-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My experience with A8 didn't do much for me. It reminded me of ceramic on steroids. Everything was just too hot in a bad way. It was hard to get a clear sound, even with differences in height and amp settings. It warrants some more testing, I suppose, but I'm a little surprised everyone is so excited about it! To each there own, of course.
    Gibson Faded V- Blackouts set
    Godin Solidac- PATB-2/Distortion n, Hot Stack in the middle
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus

Mesa Roadster head

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paytojt View Post
    My experience with A8 didn't do much for me. It reminded me of ceramic on steroids. Everything was just too hot in a bad way. It was hard to get a clear sound, even with differences in height and amp settings. It warrants some more testing, I suppose, but I'm a little surprised everyone is so excited about it! To each there own, of course.
    Bingo. It was balanced, but it had too much of everything. Actually, no it didn't have enough treble. It was just way too middy and congested.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the PATB is designed to put the magnetic field on either side of the string, and so the string is pulled between the two fields if anything. So, having a strong magnet wouldn't have the same disadvantages that it does in traditional humbuckers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don'a have any experience with A8 magnets, but from what you all are describing, it sounds cool.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paytojt View Post

I have no interest in this pickup at all. I was surprised a custom shop build was wasted on it. But I guess a lot of guys really wanted it. I was kinda hoping for a hybrid. Maybe a CC coil with a Demon coil, on top of an Alnico II magnet. I'd get one of those.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the PATB is designed to put the magnetic field on either side of the string, and so the string is pulled between the two fields if anything. So, having a strong magnet wouldn't have the same disadvantages that it does in traditional humbuckers.
    That's true. With a pole piece on either side of each string, the string is pulled out to either side as it's vibrating, rather than to the center of its travel as with conventional pole pieces, which would tend to cause it to stop ringing, decreasing sustain.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker Metalblaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    That's what I think too about PAs. Maybe the increased strength of the magnet increase sustain while the strings are vibrating.....?
    Me(n)tal Distortion

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PA pole style should increase sustain but decrease the first attack , then be less punchy but sweeter and more singing (sustain) .

Alnico 8 is the magnet that only have the best qualities of all other magnet types :

1) powerfull like CERAMIC , with the same full EQ but with rounder highs .
    2) tigh like alnico 5 but without the mid scoop
    3) lost of mids like alnico 2 but without the loose bottom end .

But in my experience (Jazz neck and Demon with alnico 8) , the alnico 8 work well in vintage type pickup , for pickups like the Custom it is less interesting , cause the added compression with the fullness of alnico 8 is a bit too much ;
    bottom end not tight enough , loss of attack and treebles .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was a great read, I figure though I'll bring it back from the dead for more discussion...

I'm looking to do a magnet swap in my stock epi g-400 pickups just to see if I can make them suck a little less, I was about to buy a new set but a sweet guitar deal came up and after this latest NGD I'm going to have to put off pickups for a bit.

For this guitar I'm looking to play mostly hard classic rock and post hardcore/metalcore but in standard or drop D. This kinda stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM6ofM315g8

What do you guys think would suite me better alnico 5 or 8? I'm trying to stay away from ceramics as I've not really enjoyed them in the past.

Thanks.
    All stock.

Epi G-400 (Circa 2001), Epiphone Wilshire Pro, Danelectro U2, Peavey Fury IV, Peavey Valveking 2x12.
    Some acoustics and random stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your G-400's stock PU's have A5's in them now. Put an A8 and the bridge and I think you'll like it. It's too hot and warm for the neck slot.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."