Thread: Eric Clapton Strat Upgrade Wiring

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Eric Clapton Strat Upgrade Wiring

My son has ordered a EC Strat wiring kit. He wants to wire up his Strat for him BUT the 5-way switch only shows wires on one side. See the attached drawing ...

http://www.fender.com/support/diagra...117602APg2.pdf

Questions:

1-Anybody know how to wire this 5-way switch?

2-Any experience with this mod? Does it work well?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eric Clapton Strat Upgrade Wiring

that diagram looks pretty solid to me, im not sure what you mean. i had the clapton model fender and it was wired that way i think.

anyways, as far as the sound, the 25db midrange boost is an amazing tool, you can make ur strat sound like a damn LP, lol. my experience with the clapton strat however was that it sucked balls when running through my regular pedal set up. when you strat cranking the midrange boost i found the sound was killed by the settings on my pedals. Played straight into an amp or just through a wah, chorus whatever it sounds absolutely amazing. You do not want to run this through distortion/overdrive pedals though, i could not get good tone when i did that. You can get all the distortion/OD you need by using the boost to overdrive ur amp.

The tbx tone control that clapton uses is great and should be put on every guitar in my opinion

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just wanted to confirm that the wiring diagram was complete. It did not think it made sense that one half of the switch would be empty. Thanks.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doveman View Post
    I just wanted to confirm that the wiring diagram was complete. It did not think it made sense that one half of the switch would be empty. Thanks.
    The other half of the switch would be for tone control selection but the EC strat isn't wired that way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

right, its a master tone run off the volume. the 25db midboost isnt actually a 25db mid boost. its a 12 db preamp boost which is not adjustable and a 12db adjustable mid boost. in general i find that it sounds best with lower output brighter pups. i just took out the 82k resister and put in a 220k, the 'doc mod' do a search on the forum and youll find it. i liked the change

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Work good with Fender Noiseless Pickups? That's what's in this particular Strat. And ... thanks for the help guys.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like this will work with Fender Noiseless.

This used to be my guitar ... I gave it to my son a couple of years ago. I still feel weird about it ... it feels like I'm just cramming a pedal with a mid-boost inside this guitar. I'll have to stick the battery between the springs in the rout in the back if I want to avoid cutting wood.

Man ... I'm just not feelin' warm and fuzzy about this yet. I know it's his guitar and I can put it all back. How is this different from plugging the Strat into a TS9 for example?

Someone make me feel a little better about it ... please?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, The god himself uses Fender Noiseless pups, so i would imagine that this guitar will sound very much like Claptons when you are done. Cut some wood or something, put the midboost in, and tighten the trem up all the way and your kid will be nailing Clapton tones.
    "He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
    -Douglas Adams