Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Autism

Serious discussion.

As recently as 2000, autism prevalence was estimated at

1-2:10,000

Recent CDC statistics estimate the prevalence at

1:<150

I can attest to the escalation from my own caseload. This used to be considered (and still is according to regulations) a low incidence impairment. Yet, the numbers are exceeding those for the emotionally disturbed population. In my school district, the autism numbers exceeded the ED cases NLT than October 2006. My team has identified THREE new cases since then, and our ChildSearch Team (evaluating 3-5 year olds) has identified ELEVEN. I do not know about the other 3 teams in our department.

Our district has <15,000 students.

There has been much speculation and accusation as to WHY there is a surge in cases. But to date, I have not seen a viable cause that is more than a slight increase in probablities of new cases. What gives?

Disclaimer: I realize that our discussion will be mostly speculative. But you guys are pretty sharp (except for that Lemur fellow), and maybe we can come up with some solutions.

Skarekrough

Default Re: Autism

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    There has been much speculation and accusation as to WHY there is a surge in cases. But to date, I have not seen a viable cause that is more than a slight increase in probablities of new cases. What gives?

Disclaimer: I realize that our discussion will be mostly speculative. But you guys are pretty sharp (except for that Lemur fellow), and maybe we can come up with some solutions.
    One theory was that it had to do with vaccinations which children received for a number of years and additives that were in them.

Being a parent this scared the ever-living piss out of me.

Here's the article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...adly_immunity/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's because the defective gene is allowed to continue.

Why are people with mild birth defects allowed to bear children? Because they can. And now we have a show on TV about 2 midgets who have midget children. A very prime example.

The only way to lower these cases is to end their breeding cycle. It's very un PC, but that's the answer.

I know I sound very insensitive, but I grew up next to a family that spread autism from one of the parents to both of their children. The parent was mild, but the boy and girl were severe.

I babysat the kids next door for years, and sometimes they'd spend hours sitting down, rocking back and forth, flapping their hands. Sad, because there's no cure. They often get taken advantage of and impregnated too, which just bears more children carrying that bad gene.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-21-2007 at 05:29 PM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My cousin is 9 and has some learning disabilities, but if a school district labels a child as "autistic," then they save money. Pure and simple. So they were going to label her as autistic, which she clearly is not. She has sensory deprivation disorder, which is not nearly the same thing.

My point is, don't believe those numbers. 1 in 150 is absurd.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Why are people with mild birth defects allowed to bear children? Because they can. And now we have a show on TV about 2 midgets who have midget children. A very prime example.

The only way to lower these cases is to end their breeding cycle. It's very un PC, but that's the answer.

I know I sound very insensitive, but I grew up next to a family that spread autism from one of the parents to both of their children. The parent was mild, but the boy and girl were severe.

I babysat the kids next door for years, and sometimes they'd spend hours sitting down, rocking back and forth, flapping their hands. Sad, because there's no cure. They often get taken advantage of and impregnated too, which just bears more children carrying that bad gene.
    Being a midget shouldn't stop you from procreating, it sucks but that's not a mental disease. Being autistic is a different thing though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

heredity isnt the only factor that causes autism, though. and afaik, its probably very hard, if not impossible to test for the probability of someone having autistic children.

Here's to what Ale's ya! Arkitkt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd watch the kids next door for years, and sometimes they'd spend hours sitting down, rocking back and forth, flapping their hands. Sad.
    You can't deny people the right to have kids just because they're handicapped and there's a chance that their kids will be as well.

And UN-PC doesn't even begin to describe what you're promoting here.

Ultimate Tone Slacker firebirdV's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope no one who knows/has autistic kids reads this thread.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nepalnt21 View Post
    heredity isnt the only factor that causes autism, though. and afaik, its probably very hard, if not impossible to test for the probability of someone having autistic children.
    I wonder if there IS a test for adults, outside of recognizing that they're slightly autistic. The reason is that it's not necessarily ONE gene, but possibly combinations of genes that should never have been bred together. However, you can't tell adults they can't procreate, and that's the problem. As the world population grows, there will always be mutations, viruses, and mental disorders that spread. And if you follow the idea that the world is always moving toward a state of disorder, it's not surprising that defects increase.

I hate to say it but autism is very prevalent in inbred humans, and it's worstened by the fact that autistic children don't make correct choices, and put themselves in harms way, regarding sex. Their bodies may be mature, but their minds aren't, and they're a target for easy rape. That alone could increase the numbers.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-22-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mercury
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkitkt View Post
    You can't deny people the right to have kids just because they're handicapped and there's a chance that their kids will be as well.

And UN-PC doesn't even begin to describe what you're promoting here.
    Where did I say I'm promoting it? It's genetically passed on, so the answer is to end it's cycle. I didn't ask you to vote for sterilization.

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdV View Post
    I hope no one who knows/has autistic kids reads this thread.
    For one of very few times in my life I'm almost totally certain that I'm not the person that said that one thing that made most everyone cringe....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew I should have passed on this thread. I'm not good at sugarcoating things so that they're easily digested. It's a sad birth defect, as all of them are. You want a cure.....good luck....there isn't one.

Growing up next to an autistic family taught me a lot about them, as a child. Even if something I said here offends you, nothing I said is incorrect.

As a matter of fact, one reason for the increase may be the fact that in past generations autistic people were institutionalized, and now most aren't. By living with their families, they're more prone to procreate. It sounds terrible, but that may be one of the primary reasons schools have seen an increase.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-21-2007 at 06:11 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    For one of very few times in my life I'm almost totally certain that I'm not the person that said that one thing that made most everyone cringe....
    How do you mean Skarey? What specifically made you cringe about that?

I'm assuming you're not ignoring me, which may or may not be true.

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by bigalthethird View Post
    How do you mean Skarey? What specifically made you cringe about that?

I'm assuming you're not ignoring me, which may or may not be true.
    You assumed incorrectly.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dr. Aceman ringing in on the scientific side. 1:10k vs. 1:150. Before we continue, we need to get those numbers right....1:10k means aids is a bigger problem. 1:150 means two 35 kid classes FULL of autistic kids per 10k. Someone is simply not even close!

Also - much like ADHD, school performance pressure actually offers some perverse incentives for labeling kids as such incorrectly (or unethically).

Also, diagnostic criteria ebb and flow with information, politics, and other factors.Anygiven year some variation in the number of schizophrenia diagnosis are due to variations in said criteria. Sometimes as an increase, sometimes as a decrease.

Final note, areas with exceptional programs and support for such things become "hotspots" for those with particular afflictions. So to see disproportionate numbers in clusters, may not be truly representative of true rates. Often research is biased by the ease of gathering a sample.

Just some things to chew on....
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Here's to what Ale's ya! Arkitkt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where did I say I'm promoting it? It's genetically passed on, so the answer is to end it's cycle. I didn't ask you to vote for sterilization.
    You're right, I over-reacted a little bit.
    Sorry.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    You assumed incorrectly.
    Well I guess you stopped ignoring me long enough to answer that question, can you answer my other one too?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Dr. Aceman ringing in on the scientific side. 1:10k vs. 1:150. Before we continue, we need to get those numbers right....1:10k means aids is a bigger problem. 1:150 means two 35 kid classes FULL of autistic kids per 10k. Someone is simply not even close!

Also - much like ADHD, school performance pressure actually offers some perverse incentives for labeling kids as such incorrectly (or unethically).

Also, diagnostic criteria ebb and flow with information, politics, and other factors.Anygiven year some variation in the number of schizophrenia diagnosis are due to variations in said criteria. Sometimes as an increase, sometimes as a decrease.

Final note, areas with exceptional programs and support for such things become "hotspots" for those with particular afflictions. So to see disproportionate numbers in clusters, may not be truly representative of true rates. Often research is biased by the ease of gathering a sample.

Just some things to chew on....
    Great post, although I'm betting that Aids is a bigger problem. Perhaps Autism isn't widely publicized, but I sure as heck don't see many Autistic kids/people. Like 1 or 2 a year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Arkitkt View Post
    You're right, I over-reacted a little bit.
    Sorry.

I know what it is......it's that mix of German/Croatian/Irish blood in me! Must be my evil genes!

As for the statistics....I've always read that it was closer to 1 in 1000 people.

I still think a primary reason for the increase is that in past centuries and decades, they were removed from the populace, most likely sterilized, and considered insane. That's the way mental health was dealt with back then, as compared to today.