Thread: Blend pot treble bleed wiring?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Blend pot treble bleed wiring?

Alright, so I'm doing my own custom wiring job on my SG. I've got a 1MEG pot wired as a blend pot rather than using a switch. Problem is, anywhere in the middle sounds extremely muddy and quiet. So should I then put a .002 cap and 100k resistor from the left post to the middle and then another set from the middle to the right? Should I use those values even though I'm using 1MEG pots? Or does somebody have a better solution?

Much thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Blend pot treble bleed wiring?

How do you have the blend pot wired? Is it a single element pot, or a true blend pot? If its an ordinary 1 meg pot, I'm assuming you have each pup's hot wire going to one end, with the output taken off the wiper. That will, of course, give you 500k of resistance in series with each pup when in the middle.

Glass Snuff

A 1 Meg pot is way too big for the reason Artie mentioned. A 250K pot will still be muddy in the middle. A treble bypass won't help as it will undo the effect of the blend pot. I'd recommend getting a true blend pot from AllParts or StewMac. To avoid loading the pickups too much, the blend pot should not be connected to ground.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's how I have it wired Artie.

Thanks Snuff. I searched Stew Mac and all they had were 250 and 500k blend pots, no 1MEGS. Gotta link?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this thread when I was in wiring h*ll yesterday and was hoping for an answer. I had the same issue. No such luck. I'm answering it as a FYI just in case someone else stumbles across this thread in a search. The problem on mine was I needed to reverse the ground and hot wires on the bridge pickup. An incredibly simple solution that took me a long time to finally figure out. I guess you could also reverse the hot and ground wires on the neck instead. After that, it is now a really smooth transition all the way from bridge to neck and anywhere in between. Instant pickup change while playing? NO. Dialed in sound that provides the precise blend of two humbuckers you're hoping for? YES.

Biggest issue I had after the wiring got figured out was was making a custom bushing for the blend pot shaft to fill the larger 3-way selector hole in the guitar. I found an aluminum bushing at ACE that I then cut shorter and drilled larger. It's functional and no one would ever know looking from the front. This was done on my Carvin CT6M. On Carvin pickups, the bridge hot wire is black and the neck hot wire is red. My C22B needed the black wire as hot. Go figure. Green and white are soldered together.

Great setup for a 1V 1T 2H guitar. I also put in two push pulls so I can split both pickups individually as desired. The SD diagram worked beautifully. I love that feature. Still not sure why they spec a .047 cap on the tone pot though. I use a .022 since it's two humbuckers.

If anyone finds this post in a search, I hope it helps you out.