Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Query For The Admins

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Query For The Admins

Quote Originally Posted by PaulReedSmith View Post
    where can I get one of these..."infractions"? Do you think in a few months they will be "boutique" enough to make a fortune on ebay?

p.s. Are these so called "infractions" tube or solid state? If they are solid state then just forget it. And if they are tube, do you think they will make my amplifier sound like Jimmy Hendrix? I think he had a couple infractions....
    This really made me laugh....hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilphody View Post
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a couple infractions, not really proud of it. I shot my mouth off politically as I saw a view that angered me so much I flipped. Happens to the best of us. I think it actually showed how I have matured, as I look back and go "yeah, I broke the rules, I deserve what I got" and 3 years ago I would've been like "you're trying to oppress my views, I have the right to free speech blah blah blah."

Yeah, we're all guests, we break the rules, we suffer for it. Mine lasts 3 months.

My query to the admins is how they got to be in the position they are in? What does it take to be an admin?
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgenutz View Post
    This place doesn't owe you squat. You are a guest.
    Not that Skarey can't answer for himself, but his post was not in regard to how the forum can serve him best, but rather how the forum could serve the company best. "Does more for the forum as a whole..." should be your point of reference.

This forum represents Seymour Duncan, and is a reflection of the company. Because of that, the forum can't be dismissed as "just the internet, get over it" - that shows a difficulty in differentiating between company interests and those of individual members.

One reason why members participate in THIS community is because there is a loyalty to Seymour Duncan products which cannot be voiced to any comparable degree through any other medium. The company is doing the members a favour by creating the opportunity for us to participate in this user group. But the reciprocal is also true... the members serve the company.

Despite everything else, the admins should be acknowledged for their time...

Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-03-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My only one has been for saying "****" - which I think is complete bull****, but whatever.

This whole system is retarded. Introduced randomly, enforced even less logically, and really leaves everyone but the admins in the dark.

What pisses me off the most is that the only admin who's ever given me an infraction (which was for something I do ALL THE TIME) is one who I've had big problems with in the past. I wouldn't think a guy of that age would hold such a petty grudge, but I guess I was wrong.

And that whole "This forum reprents SD Co" thing is completely one sided. If the forum is a true reflection of Seymour Duncan as a company, then I guess the company is run by a few good men, and a couple of guys who disappear for a while, and then pop back in with a god complex.
    Last edited by Virtual Kevorkian; 06-02-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    What pisses me off the most is that the only admin who's ever given me an infraction (which was for something I do ALL THE TIME) is one who I've had big problems with in the past. I wouldn't think a guy of that age would hold such a petty grudge, but I guess I was wrong.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're holding a grudge against someone who holds apparently holds a grudge against you?

I for one think the admins are doing a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Don't apologize for yankees. Yall were just born that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    What a coincidence! I have Himmler tattoo'd on my left ass cheek and Goering tattoo'd on my right! When I get bored, I stick my wang through my legs and spread my cheeks and it looks like they are saluting Musolinni.

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Eh you might be right - I think of it more of having left a bad taste in my mouth for the guy, but my current aggression towards him is mainly do to the bogues infraction after I thought we were on better terms.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna go eat some worms.

Getting this job is easy. All you have to do is hang out on this board for a few years, rack up something like 15,000 posts actually being helpful to the folks that ask questions on the gear related boards and it helps if you can conduct yourself in a professional manner while being able to communicate to musicians in a language that they understand.

At least that's how it happened for me.

The down side is that the big stars and the word "administrator" below your name paint a big psychological bullseye on your cyber-backside that some people just can't seem to see past. It's sort of like a police officer walking into a bar during happy hour. He might be the nicest guy just looking for a burger but no one wants to talk to the guy in the blue uniform while sucking down beers. It comes with the territory.

The rules are simple here. No profanity (asterisks count), no discussions about illegal activities and no agressive behavior towards the other members. There are activities like spamming and making multiple accounts to get around administrative decisions that will get you perminantly banned but for the most part under the new admin rules, breaking the rules gets you a warning.

Thats right kiddies, the complaints made about the infraction policy are made because someone got a warning about innapropriate behavior. No one was threatened with removal from this site, they were just asked to tone it down and to follow the rules of this site which are agreed to when you join this site.

Pretty silly stuff if you ask me.

The best part is this observation. It isn't usually the newbies that complain about violations but instead it's the guys that have been around for awhile and know darn well what is expected of them. The new guys normally send me a PM apologizing for their poor behavior and promise not to do it again. I look apon those messages with a lot of respect. It takes an adult to own their own stuff and to make things right. It's the members with some time under their belts that feel somehow entitled, almost to the point that they seem to be under the impression that they own the place that give me the hardest time.

I mean seriously, how hard is it to stop the profanity and follow the rules for 90 days until an infraction expires? It's not like you are getting banned or getting shamed in public. No one knows about the infractions except the admins and the offending member. Not only that but you get not one, not two but three warnings in any 90 day period before you get a temporary ban and that is only until the first infraction expires and then you are good to go again.

It really is much more fair than the old system where we banned you permanently once you became too big a PITA to be dealt with.

Love me, hate me, have long day dreams about dismembering the bald guy with the Les Paul all you like. It's all good with me but when you post on this site, follow the rules. It really isn't personal as some of you would like to believe. I simply enforce the rules that Seymour imposes on HIS website. If it wasn't Scott, Jeremy, Simon or myself enforcing the rules it would be another group of guys and the results would be the same. While the admins on this site can and do act with impunity we still have to answer to the folks at the Seymour Duncan company and we aren't allowed to treat the members with disrespect or to play favorites.

To date, no admin has been warned about going to far in the over-site of these boards. Most days we just get a solid "thank you". You see, this is such a thankless and frustrating job that the folks at SD really don't want to do it.

They make pickups, we babysit.

Now go and play nice with each other. Thats all "keep it real, keep it respectful" really means.

Robert

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S. View Post
    You see, this is such a thankless and frustrating job . . .
    Well, not completely. Thanks Robert, et al.

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Re: A Query For The Admins

No profanity (asterisks count)
    Really, I've let a few swear words go without receiving any grief for it. Though when I do it's usually to express a strong emphasis and I try to limt to when it's only absolutely necessary.

have long day dreams about dismembering the bald guy with the Les Paul all you like.
    You play a Les Paul? What a shame of an otherwise decent guitar player!! lol j/k.

Now go and play nice with each other.
    But Mitch called me a poopie face because I don't like Gibson and then kicked cyber sand in my face!!!
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Well, not completely. Thanks Robert, et al.
    I vote Artie Too as the next admin.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilphody View Post
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Ultimate Tone Slacker tubeman87's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ I vote Cream as the next admin

WARNING WARNING

Ya know all this infraction talk has sparked something........when did some profanities become acceptible? I still can't say...er...type "sh.." but I can type ***** as much as I wants.....what makes ***** so much different from sh.. (retorical question) they are both words with negative conotations. who says one is less offensive than the other?....Just a question.
    FOR GEARJONESER.......... I HOPE THIS ONE IS LESS OBNOXIOUS AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    I never heard anybody say he caught anything from a fly. My cousin gave two guys the clap, and nobody ever whacked her with a newspaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    cus 14 y.o. girls get faster every year

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgenutz View Post
    This place doesn't owe you squat. You are a guest.
    Well, yes and no.

You have to appreciate this place for what it is and what it occupies in the grand realm of the Seymour Duncan Company.

There are alot of folks that have significant experience. You look at The Pickup Lounge and you realize that there are alot of really top-shelf techs chiming in to help out those making their first posting as well as long-standing veteran players responding to questions from newbies and the experienced alike. This serves to not only sell more pickups but becuase the answers are more likely to be from folks that had real world experience they're MUCH more likely to cut down on returns and customer dis-satisfaction.

I am a Guest here. But I also have a significant amount of knowledge to share as do others.

Running the place in a manner that is even and fair for all serves the company as it creates users that stick around. It allows communities to be created and to grow. Look at a company like Ibanez that didn't learn this early on. They missed out and jemsite.com came up and they ended up losing out on what could of been an astonishing asset to them on many different levels.

We are all Guests here....but we also bring something to the table. This relationship is mutually benifical and calling on the Admins when we feel something isn't right serves us all well to keep that a fair and just user experience is kept in check.

Skarekrough

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna go eat some worms.

Getting this job is easy. All you have to do is hang out on this board for a few years, rack up something like 15,000 posts actually being helpful to the folks that ask questions on the gear related boards and it helps if you can conduct yourself in a professional manner while being able to communicate to musicians in a language that they understand.

At least that's how it happened for me.

The down side is that the big stars and the word "administrator" below your name paint a big psychological bullseye on your cyber-backside that some people just can't seem to see past. It's sort of like a police officer walking into a bar during happy hour. He might be the nicest guy just looking for a burger but no one wants to talk to the guy in the blue uniform while sucking down beers. It comes with the territory.
    If you feel your job is equivilant to being a police officer and not receiving pay for it then I would urge you to either relinquish your duties voluntarily or ask for significant compensation.

No, it's not an wasy job. I did it in a capacity a long while ago before the benifit of things like Instant Messaging or the advanced features were ever present. It's thankless and it sucks.

But i did learn that once you feel anything that remotely involves "entitled" to it then you should walk away.

The rules are simple here. No profanity (asterisks count), no discussions about illegal activities and no agressive behavior towards the other members. There are activities like spamming and making multiple accounts to get around administrative decisions that will get you perminantly banned but for the most part under the new admin rules, breaking the rules gets you a warning.

Thats right kiddies, the complaints made about the infraction policy are made because someone got a warning about innapropriate behavior. No one was threatened with removal from this site, they were just asked to tone it down and to follow the rules of this site which are agreed to when you join this site.

Pretty silly stuff if you ask me.
    Weird...I wouldn't think "accountability" would ever come under the heading of "silly" in any conversation, but here we are.

The best part is this observation. It isn't usually the newbies that complain about violations but instead it's the guys that have been around for awhile and know darn well what is expected of them. The new guys normally send me a PM apologizing for their poor behavior and promise not to do it again. I look apon those messages with a lot of respect. It takes an adult to own their own stuff and to make things right. It's the members with some time under their belts that feel somehow entitled, almost to the point that they seem to be under the impression that they own the place that give me the hardest time.
    Yes...the folks that have invested time into the community. How dare they stand up and demand clarification or accountability! How dare they be the ones to force your hand to govern evenly and demand that rules be clarified and made available in a susinct and cohesive manner so that they can be followed! How dare we!

I mean seriously, how hard is it to stop the profanity and follow the rules for 90 days until an infraction expires? It's not like you are getting banned or getting shamed in public. No one knows about the infractions except the admins and the offending member. Not only that but you get not one, not two but three warnings in any 90 day period before you get a temporary ban and that is only until the first infraction expires and then you are good to go again.
    We went over this...it isn't the rules but the enforcement of them subject to whim.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cream123 View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't even want the job. I have enough to do trying to keep up on these wiring diagrams.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by cream123 View Post
    How about odie??? LOL!!!!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Poor Skarekrough, he still thinks I have it out for him.

Bro, your perceptions aside I still maintain that we can only do the best we can and we really do try.

If it wasn't for your tendency to post naughty words and your ever so slight distain for authority figures (as if I am one..lol) we could probably be best buds!

Gimmee a hug and move on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i thought you had it out for me
    #WhyNotUs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

theodie

I thought you had it out for me too but, we are cool.

Come here baby-cakes, I will give ya a hug! LOL!!!!

XOXOXO

Skarekrough

Bro, your perceptions aside I still maintain that we can only do the best we can and we really do try.

If it wasn't for your tendency to post naughty words and your ever so slight distain for authority figures (as if I am one..lol) we could probably be best buds!

Unfortunately I think your ego has likely gotten the best of you.

If you're involved in this scenario at all in a negative way it's because you didn't man-up and admit that you didn't do any follow through as you said you would in the capacity as an Admin. You're the one that put it up on the table to confer with your peers, at least have the follow through to make good on your own words.

I would expect that at the very least from someone that claims the job title you have been given.

I'm not doing this for myself as much as I am to maintain some reasonable semblance of continuity in the creation and enforcement of rules.

It is without these two features that we have a place that is arbitrary and does a dis-service to the Seymour Duncan company as a whole.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#WhyNotUs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.