Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working out....

Hybrid View

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Working out....

Let's say I've decided that I need to start working out. Would I be better off with free weights or some kind of Soloflex or whatever machine? I've been checking Craigslist, and they can both be had for fairly cheap.
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Working out....

Bowflex is great for all around, free weights are good for isolated excercises. but if you have the resources, get a Bowflex!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any idea what the avg. used price is?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can get them used in the $300 to $400 range in great shape, just gotta pick them up. Shipping is damn near impossible.

You might could find them easily on Craigslist in Cinci or something, I dunno where in Ohio Yellow Springs is.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always heard free weights are better. With a barbell set and a power rack, you should be able to work every muscle.
    Last edited by taphappy; 06-03-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by taphappy View Post
    I've always heard free weights are better. With a barbell set and a power rack, you should be able to work every muscle.
    I'm creating a home gym. Here's what it looks like so far:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 2nd funnest workout is bicycling. If you don't have room or money for all that bowflex nonsense, the bike will work every muscle just fine. I started up again last week, and want to slim up a bit before summer vacation.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    The 2nd funnest workout is bicycling. If you don't have room or money for all that bowflex nonsense, the bike will work every muscle just fine. I started up again last week, and want to slim up a bit before summer vacation.
    There's a bike trail going ~20 miles in either direction in the place I just moved to. Add to that lots of hiking, and the fact that it's a small, "walk where you're going" town.

My goals here are to lose some weight, and keep in shape year round. At work, we spend the entire spring, summer, and part of fall doing physically intensive stuff (hauling blocks, building crap, etc...) but then do nothing all winter, so spring rolls around, and you get your ass kicked for like two months.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    There's a bike trail going ~20 miles in either direction in the place I just moved to. Add to that lots of hiking, and the fact that it's a small, "walk where you're going" town.

My goals here are to lose some weight, and keep in shape year round. At work, we spend the entire spring, summer, and part of fall doing physically intensive stuff (hauling blocks, building crap, etc...) but then do nothing all winter, so spring rolls around, and you get your ass kicked for like two months.
    Well here I would recomend to phases. Phase 1 is when you are off work, winter /late fall. I would suggest a just over all body strengthining type of thing. I would focus on squats with bar, bench press, chin ups, dips, and there is a few options for fundamental back exersises that YOU REALLY need as you age considering your work. Phase 2 could get really individual considering how your body will respond to a certain routine during your work week.
    “My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Fullshred/Tex-Specials) ->

BadHoarsie1-> TS9 RI (Spina Mod) Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12"

Ultimate Tone Slacker JammerMatt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Bowflex will collect dust and your laundry. Join a gym. Costs less and takes up less space. Plus, the chicks are hotter there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_F View Post
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JammerMatt View Post
    The Bowflex will collect dust and your laundry. Join a gym. Costs less and takes up less space. Plus, the chicks are hotter there.
    +1. Most people will spot for you, and there's always the smith machine. + It gets you outta the house for a bit.

cg
    -Blasphemy is a victimless crime

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

cg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Free weight will help your muscels improving stability you won't get in a machine.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do push-ups and sit-ups for $0 and I lift hand-me-down free weights and run around the block for $0 when I'm not busy punting babies and beating on my chest

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The questions should be what is your goal, what do you want to achieve? and then routine, equipment and diet will come.
    “My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Fullshred/Tex-Specials) ->

BadHoarsie1-> TS9 RI (Spina Mod) Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely join a gym. Less expensive than a Bowflex for probably a longer period of time than you'll stick with your workout regimen (no offense). Also yeah, you might enjoy lookin' at the ladies... although your primary motivator (erm, excuse, cough), should be muscle-building! :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pushups. situps. Chuck Norris Totalgym 2000. anyone wanna see my bod?

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've started working out too. I don't go to the gym or use machines or weights. The most high-tech thing I use is 2 chairs about a foot and half apart for chair dips.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Don't apologize for yankees. Yall were just born that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    What a coincidence! I have Himmler tattoo'd on my left ass cheek and Goering tattoo'd on my right! When I get bored, I stick my wang through my legs and spread my cheeks and it looks like they are saluting Musolinni.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As much as I prefer free weights to machines, if I were working out at home, alone, there's no way I'd heavily invest in free weights. Lifting free weights without a spotter is asking for injury. IMO, bars are best left in the gym. Bells can be used at home.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom 5/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Duncan Distortion, SP90-1/SP90-2

Looking for Real Life drew_half_empty's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    As much as I prefer free weights to machines, if I were working out at home, alone, there's no way I'd heavily invest in free weights. Lifting free weights without a spotter is asking for injury. IMO, bars are best left in the gym. Bells can be used at home.
    that's crap, i used to work out at home & never got injured, now i go to a gym, never have a spotter, and do fine

you just have to know your limits
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    metal zones are for pussies.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drew_half_empty View Post
    that's crap, i used to work out at home & never got injured, now i go to a gym, never have a spotter, and do fine

you just have to know your limits

It's not crap, well if you actually want to gain muscle it's not, but I guess if you just want to be there to look like your working out then it's ok. How can you push yourself without a spotter. Sure you could go in and, lets say you can bench 175 by yourself, anything above that and you need assistance. If all you do is lift that 175lbs everytime you are doing absolutely nothing for gaining muscle, all you will do is maintain. Each workout should increase in intensity, which can be done by using more weight or adding a few more reps(to a point). With that spotter you could try and squeeze out 3-4 reps of 185 until you get till you can do 8 by yourself, then move on to 195 etc.... But I guess if your not trying to increase to heavy weights then it dosen't matter, but then I ask, why are you even lifting, for the sake of lifting? You'd be better off doing some kind of cardio just to stay in an overall healthy state. I'm not calling you out Drew and saying these things about you, just some of the things I've observed while in the gym.