Thread: replacing the humbucker metal base plate

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default replacing the humbucker metal base plate

i have an SD humbucker whose base plate is drilled for direct mount so it will no longer work with pickup height screws. So how do I replace the base plate?

I see 4 screws on the bottom and 6 pole pieces. Can I safely unscrew all of them and take the pickup apart? And put everything back together with a new base plate?

Yes, I am mechanically challenged...the last time I did something like this, I took apart a motorized side mirror on my car and as I backed out the last screw, I watched helplessly as all the gears and push rods fell into a big pile onto the garage floor.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: replacing the humbucker metal base plate

If the only problem is that the machine screw holes are drilled out, you don't need to change the entire base plate. You can just super glue/solder some machine screw nuts to the tabs and use the standard machine screws as usual.
    Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
    Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is fairly easy to change baseplates. Back the 6 screw posts out of the baseplate and remove the 4 mounting screws. There are 4 small connections where the coils are connected to the leads that will have a small amount of electrical tape that you will find under the cloth tape if you remove it. Just take it easy with those. You'll have to unsolder the plain wire from the old baseplate and resolder it to the new one.

Pay attention to the magnet orientation between the bobbins. Try to keep the magnet/bobbins assembly together if at all possible.

Put the pickup back together in reverse order.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the help!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I superglued metric nuts on the bottom of the base plates.....haven't had a problem.