Thread: Tweakers: DMZ discovery

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tweakers: DMZ discovery

So I have a Megadrive which I am not 100% satisfied with, I kept thinking it needs alnico mojo to sound right. The problem was, ceramic magnets are not the same size as your standard alnico magnet. I measured to check, and there's a 1/16" difference in width that is just enough to seperate the 2 coils and make everything not fit right. I started to think of how to machine or file 1/16" off to get my alnico in there but wait! What's this?

The bar that the screw pole pieces thread into is not symmetrical! I am certain DMZ does this on purpose to be able to fit both alnico and ceramic magnets by flipping the coil around. I tried it and it is a perfect fit -exactly 1/16" more narrow on one side than the other. I can post pics tonight if this isn't clear, but it will make swapping for alnico a breeze! All I have to do is rotate the coil 180 degrees (this means the wire had to be guided along the other side). I don't even know if this is news or not, but I'm stoked! I will get to try all my alnico grades on this thing which is already a pretty darn good pickup. I reckon it will work on any DMZ with screws. I may possibly have to shim the magnet a tad to make up the difference in thickness but that's very easy with cardboard or thin plastic -alot better than filing down metal!

Ultimate Tone Slacker SonofaMitch's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tweakers: DMZ discovery

Nice!..thats a Handy Piece Of Info!!

~Mitch~

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tweakers: DMZ discovery

FWIW I did the swap on a different Dimarzio pickup and the ceramic magnet was the same width as alnico ones. Ergo I did not have to flip the coil around, so my initial comments are only vis a vis small mags. Concordently one should use the mod only as necessary.

"Mouth shut ears open!"
    "Highway crossing frog, it's the lamest thing I ever heard"