Thread: Broken 3-Way Tele-Style Switch

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Broken 3-Way Tele-Style Switch

I have a tele-style 3-way switch in one of my guitars. It was working fine with the original pickups, but I switched them out and now the middle position only gives the neck pickup (so instead of neck-both-bridge, I get neck-neck-bridge). Before I got out a buy a new switch, anyone have any tips they could give me to fix this one? I'm guessing maybe there's a contact bent somewhere one the switch, but I'm sure where to look? Thanks.

-Austin

Oh, the switch looks like this one:

and I've noticed that there seems to be some give in the left most contact (which is were the bridge lead is soldered); you can kind of wiggle it back and forth a bit. Don't know if that's normal or not.

Default Re: Broken 3-Way Tele-Style Switch

Your switch is fine. The 5-way in my Strat has a couple that wiggle a little bit and it has no problems. As long as the copper contacts are making contact, it's good.

Now, as to your delima. Double-check your wiring. Make sure your switch is wired like the "3-way blade-style switch" in the following diagram.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...3ws_trans.html

You have to use both sides of the switch.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Broken 3-Way Tele-Style Switch

Yup it was wired fine. Ah well, it's not an issue now; the 3-way was just in while I was waiting for some other parts to get here. They arrived today so now the guitar is up and running with a superswitch. Thanks anyway though.

-Austin