Thread: Humbuckers in a swamp ash guitar?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Humbuckers in a swamp ash guitar?

I've recently purchased parts from Warmoth for putting together a 70's-style Telecaster Deluxe and I'm wondering if perhaps I could have made a better choice in body wood. The main reason I wanted to build this guitar was so I could have a versatile humbucker guitar but with a fat neck to fit my big hands (I'm a big guy and most off-the-rack guitar necks feel like toys to me). I chose the Telecaster Deluxe mainly for its look but not necessarily for its sound, so this wasn't supposed to be a accurate re-creation.

For pickups, I've got a '59 in the bridge and a Jazz at the neck. I guess what I was hoping for was a vintage sounding humbucker guitar but in the shape of a Tele Deluxe.

Here's the core of my conundrum: the body I have is swamp ash, which from what I understand is probably better-suited for single-coil guitars. Swamp ash is a bright-sounding tone wood and I'm just afraid it might sound a little too harsh...at least harsher than I'd like. I'm wondering if perhaps I should have gone with mahogany instead, which I expect would sound better with my choice of pickups.

Of course, I can always just put the guitar together and see if I like how it sounds, but I need to have a guitar tech carve the nut for it and set it up...I'd rather not go through the trouble more than once.

Does anyone have experience with lower-output humbuckers in a swamp ash guitar? Would you suggest going with mahogany instead?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Humbuckers in a swamp ash guitar?

If the wood is good, Ash will be just fine. In fact, I think it will sound quite nice with a 59. Ash will accentuate the mid range more than Mahogany, but I would think it will be lively vs. bright (I think of maple when I think of bright)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hard ash can be very focused and bright, swamp ash is one of my favorite woods. its bright but not shrill.

i think the 59b and jazz neck could be fine in that guitar. you may find that you like 250k pots better to roll off a little high end but that may or may not be the case.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    hard ash can be very focused and bright, swamp ash is one of my favorite woods. its bright but not shrill.
    When I hear "ash", my brain instantly translates it to "swamp ash" - I never even consider hard ash, LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got a swamp ash carvin with a hss config. The guitar is really bright, probly cuz it's got an ebony board and 500k pots. When I roll back the tone tho, the guitar sounds killer with the hb. I'd highly recommend putting a hb in ash, the brightness helps it cut thru and not sound muddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

carvins tend to be bright no matter what wood combo for some reason

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input, everyone. Very encouraging. I think I'll go ahead and build the guitar with the swamp ash body. Who knows? It may sound exactly as I'd hoped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Swamp ash can sound really good with humbuckers. I have at least 2 hardtail swampash strats made from Warmoth parts, and 1 is equipped with humbuckers. Although I'm using a PGn, I've been toying with a Jazz Neck, as I think it would sound good with swamp ash.

If the 59 doesn't do it for you in the bridge, I'd try a magnet switch to A2 (Torres Engineering sells these for $6). My first swamp ash guitar I built for single coils, but out of curiosity, I installed a 59 bridge for a while. I did all sorts of experimenting with that guitar, but the one thing that sticks out is how good the A2 59 sounded in the bridge.
    This machine kills fascists

Ultimate Tone Slacker DesertRat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually recently took the Jazz-n out of my swamp ash tele thinline and put in a '59 neck then modified the '59 with an A2 magnet. It is seriously FAT with just the right amount of treble. So considering the previous post, maybe you should try a set of A2 '59's.... (The Jazz-n got an A2 as well and ended up in my Strat where it sounds more at home)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a swamp ash PRS with a bolt-on maple neck, rosewood board... love it. Sits somewhere between a super-strat and an SG tonally... doesn't have the low-mid size and chunk of a gibbo but is much more articulate and harmonically open/active.

Good wood is good wood.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    carvins tend to be bright no matter what wood combo for some reason
    Well the 500k pots and ebony board sure help out in the brightness category combined with a neck thru swamp ash body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I played a swamp ash Les Paul Special in the music store and it was bright, but with the gibson pickups it was actually sounding good in swamp ash (i think they sound muddy in mahogany). I guess it depends on the ears, but there's always tone knobs / EQ knobs on the amp and guitar ....

For what it's worth, my experience isn't with humbuckers in swamp ash, but in agathis and maple. Maple is brighter, and the JB to my ears was an ice pick (but my friend in the band just EQ'd the amp and it worked for him). I guess the closest thing to that would be the dual '59 combo for your swamp ash (i.e. comparing it to the swamp ash special LP), but there's other pickups as well. Check out the tone wizard.
    Last edited by Robert Delahunt; 08-09-2007 at 01:07 AM.
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ash is pretty cool, it's like alder but with more 'snap crackle & pop' if you know what I mean, it's really easy to get that 'djenty' meshuggah type sound with it...
    ESP Maverick (Blackouts Metal)
    Jackson Falcon (Invader)
    ESP LTD Ninja-600 (mirror) (Invader/Distortion)
    Schecter Syn Special (Invader set)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post
    I have a swamp ash PRS with a bolt-on maple neck, rosewood board... love it. Sits somewhere between a super-strat and an SG tonally... doesn't have the low-mid size and chunk of a gibbo but is much more articulate and harmonically open/active.

Good wood is good wood.
    Agreed ... one of the best guitars I ever played was a PRS Swamp Ash Special. I think it had two PRS humbuckers and a SD Cool Rails in the middle IIRC.

Showmasterologist Robert Delahunt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I'm addicted to my lite ash stratocaster. Ash is an awesome wood, and I can't wait to some day be rich enough to buy a Les Paul Special and then switch pickups on it
    My Website || My Music
    Quote Originally Posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a pair of Swamp Ash boddied Washburn USA MG's. I have had several pickups in both right now I have a Crazy 8 in my MG 100 and a Custom Trmbucker with a A8 in my MG 102. In production pickups the Custom Custom Alnico II pro bucker set up works VERY well IMO in Swamp Ash. Mine just SING with the set up's I currently have ( Crazy 8/ Dimarzio Blue Velvet singles in the MG 100 and a Custom 8 / 59 in the 102 ) !!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Agreed ... one of the best guitars I ever played was a PRS Swamp Ash Special. I think it had two PRS humbuckers and a SD Cool Rails in the middle IIRC.
    Vintage Rails actually!

I swapped out the stock PRS 'buckers for an AII neck & Custom 5 in the bridge...big improvement over the stock McCarty buckers IMO. Like taking a vail off, I could hear & feel my fingers on the strings again. The stock neck pickup always sounded kinda muted & wooly...very smooth. Great for jazz, not much else!

I wanna add a mini-switch so I can get the vintage rail all on it's own too.

But yeah... I love my PRS.

Swamp ash + buckers = goodness
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Arrigus

PHP Code:
    Does anyone have experience with lower-output humbuckers in a swamp ash guitarWould you suggest going with mahogany instead
    Yes I do. A Tele-gib with Seth Lover bridge and Antiquity neck. Swamp Ash guitar with maple neck.
    After some months I can say that it sounds more like a tele on steroids than like a LP. Very rich woody thick tele sound: the seth lover really twangs, but it's beautiful under screaming distortion... very classic sound, really old school.
    Of course the guitar is bright, but not ice-picky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    I've recently purchased parts from Warmoth for putting together a 70's-style Telecaster Deluxe and I'm wondering if perhaps I could have made a better choice in body wood. The main reason I wanted to build this guitar was so I could have a versatile humbucker guitar but with a fat neck to fit my big hands (I'm a big guy and most off-the-rack guitar necks feel like toys to me). I chose the Telecaster Deluxe mainly for its look but not necessarily for its sound, so this wasn't supposed to be a accurate re-creation.

For pickups, I've got a '59 in the bridge and a Jazz at the neck. I guess what I was hoping for was a vintage sounding humbucker guitar but in the shape of a Tele Deluxe.

Here's the core of my conundrum: the body I have is swamp ash, which from what I understand is probably better-suited for single-coil guitars. Swamp ash is a bright-sounding tone wood and I'm just afraid it might sound a little too harsh...at least harsher than I'd like. I'm wondering if perhaps I should have gone with mahogany instead, which I expect would sound better with my choice of pickups.

Of course, I can always just put the guitar together and see if I like how it sounds, but I need to have a guitar tech carve the nut for it and set it up...I'd rather not go through the trouble more than once.

Does anyone have experience with lower-output humbuckers in a swamp ash guitar? Would you suggest going with mahogany instead?
    ]\

If swamp ash were as bright as you are thinking, it would work well with singles would it? I have a 9k A2 bucker in the swanp ash strat I built and its fine. I'm even using a 500k pot in this one
    Last edited by TheArchitect; 08-10-2007 at 04:42 AM.