Thread: rack setups and wahs

Ultimate Tone Member TwofacePimp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default rack setups and wahs

While reading Robert's post about his new G Major, I realized how convenient it would be to put everything into a rack, and only have a midi controller on the floor.

My question is, how would a wah pedal factor into this? I imagine that most guys with rack setups have a wireless in the rack, which I assume would mean that they would have to run cable from the rack to front of the stage into the wah, and then out of the wah back to the rack. This doesn't sound very efficient. Is this how it's normally done? Is there a better way?

Thanks!
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

DeadSkinSlayer3

Default Re: rack setups and wahs

Rackmount wah, before the preamp (or amp). Dunlop makes a good one. Comes with a footcontroller that's just like a normal Crybaby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen the rackmount crybaby, and it was very expensive ($350+?) and I don't think dunlop makes it anymore. It's off their website and musician's friend said it's discontinued. Thanks Slayer, but are there any other ways?
    "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

DeadSkinSlayer3

Well you could just get a normal wah and run it infront of the amp. That's what most players do anyway.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Dunlop Rack Wahs are $650. They're not discontinued, they're a custom shop item and they only make them in batches. After they sell out, you have to wait until the next batch.

There's alot of half rack wireless units, which fit fine on the back of a pedal board. There's also plenty of rack users who go Guitar -> Wah -> Rack using normal cables. If you check out pics of different rack outfits, alot of them have a wah, midi footcontroller, and an expression pedal or two on the floor in front of them. Some of them also have a buffer/line driver on the pedal board right after the wah to cut down on line loss.
    If you can't play good, play loud.

Sh*t
    Les Paul -> Cantrell Wah -> Mesa Mark V -> Recto 4x12

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

easiest way is to just put the wah infront of the rack. and play regularly.

about the rackmount Crybaby.
    here's an example, from John Petrucci's (Dream Theater) older rack. you can see the crybaby 3rd from the top, below the Eventide Harmonizer.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/e.../rack_2002.jpg
    Guitars:
    -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
    -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
    -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
    - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
    - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
    SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys! I guess you gotta put your wireless on the floor (hate to spill beer on it!) or run 30-40 feet of cable from your rack to the front and back into it. Or buy that hideously expensive rack wah.