Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to degauss

Ultimate Tone Member copperheadroads's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to degauss

Quote Originally Posted by lazyfinger View Post
    I'm curious, is it possible to charge the alnicos by attaching to ceramic 8?
    Yes ,depending on the size & strength of the ceramic 8 magnet
    i dont think a humbucker bar magnet will do
    but stacking magnets doubles there strength

Quote Originally Posted by JHN View Post
    Most important question is if we can permanently change polarity in single coil slugs by using 2 discs,1 facing pickup from up and 1 from bellow.Say for example north(disk) facing top of slug,south(disk) facing bottom of slug will permanently charge the slug as opposite per disc for each side?Hope I expressed it well enough.That could save a lot of wiring and pickup changing to some people.
    You can reverse the magnet polarity by using neo disc & like you mentioned
    but how is it going to save wiring ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Raxz View Post
    Which leads me to ask; does Stewart McDonald, or anyone else, sell a device to measure the actual gauss of our pups so that we can see if we are doing it right?
    You will need a Gauss meter to measure the strength of a magnet
    They cost hundreds

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by copperheadroads View Post
    Yes ,depending on the size & strength of the ceramic 8 magnet
    i dont think a humbucker bar magnet will do
    but stacking magnets doubles there strength
    Yes, that's what I mean, not completely magnetizing a non-magnetized alnico, but rather increase their strength with an equal size ceramic 8.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You will need a Gauss meter to measure the strength of a magnet
    They cost hundreds
    Ouch! I guess Ill just stick em on the fridge and feel how hard it is to pull them off, ha!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can reverse the magnet polarity by using neo disc & like you mentioned
    but how is it going to save wiring ?
    I have reversed the single coil cables in many hss fender strats,as i prefer a noisy split duncan humbucker+single middle 4th position sound than a noiseless but out of phase.Reason is I mostly use it with very little or no gain at all,and I hate out of phase sounds.
    So,slug polarity reversal in single coils can be done with 2 neodymium discs hmmmmmmmm.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just waving it over the top doesn't work. You need to be aware of which way each pole of the magnet in the pickup points. With a bridge pickup, assuming you want to weaken it and assuming it's the more standard layout of the S pole touching the screws (N touching slugs), you wave it over the bridge (the actual bridge, not bridge pickup) with the S side of the disk pointing toward the screws, but with the flat plane of the disk as close to perpendicular to the top of the pickup as possible and still have an effect. Not 90 degrees but about 70 to 80.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I tested this out today. I'm obviously a fool, either I can't notice the difference, or I'm doing it wrong.

At first, I waved it across the pickup, about an inch above the pickups, with the magnet parallel to the top of the guitar, heard very little difference. Flipped it over, tried again, also, not enough difference to know if it was an actual change or just placebo. Then followed the instructions more closely, did it around 2" above the outer bridge poles, with the face of the disc aimed toward the poles.

Is this correct? Should I be hearing a drastic difference? Any change in output?
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Zhang!!

Will I notice a decrease in output, or just a change in tone?
    Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Questionologist
    NORTH HOLLYWOOD (talk to me, So Cal members!)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little of both, depending on how close and how fast/slow the wave is.
    In 1861 as Confederate forces were about to fire on Fort Sumter, the Blue and Gray had far more in common than the blue and red today. What fellowship can "the truth shall set you free" ever have with "what is truth"? Barring a major epidemic or nuclear attack to explode the postmodern myth that the reality outside our heads depends for its very existence on what we think of it, secession is coming...