Thread: Godin SD wiring

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Godin SD wiring

Hi All~
    I'm new to the forum and new to working on guitars, so here goes:

I have a Godin SD and am replacing the bridge pup. I would also like to put a switch in to split the humbucker. I have looked at the appropriate schematic here, but it shows a humbucker with 4 leads and mine only has three, just wondering what that means/ how to do it?

Thanks,
    B

Default Re: Godin SD wiring

welcome to the forum, B

do you know the functions of the existing wires, by color? ... if not, can you tell us where they were wired to? ... if you can, we can tell you where to put the appropriate seymour duncan wires

it will go something like this:

the SD green wire will go to 'ground'

the SD black wire will go to 'hot'

the SD red and white wires will go (both together) to the switch that you install to split the humbucker by switching it to ground when you want it split

the SD bare wire will also go to ground

hope this helps

if you tell us more about your current setup, we can 'translate' for you, if you feel you need it ... note, the current pickup might not have a wire capable of splitting the humbucker ... you might only have 'hot' , 'ground', and 'bare' ...

cheers
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi t4d - thanks for the reply.
    I have attached here a picture showing the current setup and the Strat neck pup that I am substituting for the original Godin. (Note that none of the pups are Duncans, but the model name of the guitar is SD).

From what you've said I'm going to guess I can't split this humbucker...:^(

B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sadly, the picture doesnt help me ... i cant make heads or tails of what is coming off the humbucker .. if you can tell me in words specifically what colors the three wires are and exactly where they are connected, i can try to help ...
    gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi t4d~
    Coming off the humbucker is a lead with three conductors, the red and white which are next to each other on the selctor switch, and a "bare" wire going to ground on the back of the volume pot.
    B.

ok

well, it stands to reason that those 3 conductors are the pickups 'ground' (e.g. bare) and then 'start' and 'end' ... the pickup's coils are soldered together internally to make the series connection .. it is that junction point (between the coils) that needs to come out to the circuit in order to allow for split wiring ...

hope this helps

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, t4d. I guess I'll just wire in the new neck pup and leave it at that. Thanks again for your help.