Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warren DeMartini vs. George Lynch

Ultimate Tone Slacker wixedmords's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Warren DeMartini vs. George Lynch

I'm quite a fan of both of these Gents. It would be like picking between kids.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Akira Takasaki smokes them both

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Hmm, some of these comments make me wonder how many people are familiar with George Lynch's catalog beyond Dokken.

The one thing that really sets George Lynch apart from Warren DeMartini, for me, is his style. The "one-trick" aspect of his playing is what has given him a sound and style that is unique. He's perfected his craft. While that might not make him the greatest session musician on the planet, it has made it pretty clear that for what he does, there are handful of players who do it as good or better. IMO, you do not here that level of distinction in the "session" style players. There job is generally to be a chameleon, no?
    I agree with you. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. I've heard the Lynch solo albums, and it's a much better representation of him than Dokken. He's got his own vibe and style. For him to do anything else would make his fans wonder what's going on.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Fleecy Sweaterologist The Golden Boy's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSweden View Post
    Akira Takasaki smokes them both
    So, either you're saying Takasaki can wrap George and Warren up in a great big doobie and smoke them before Yngwie can eat everybody in the room? Or you're saying that Takasaki can eat everyone (including Yngwie) before Yngwie's stomach grumbles get the better of everyone in the room...

Either way, I don't buy it.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I am just jug the merlot.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bump
    early 90's Fender Strat w/ JB Jr. in the bridge position
    Gibson Les Paul fitted with Seth Lovers
    Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 with a Marshall 4x10
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (primarily for solos)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know both gentlemen. I've known George for years. While I met Warren many years ago, I didn't really get to be friends with him until last year. He spent Monday of this week here in the office signing RTM bottom plates along with SWD.

Anyway, to answer the question posed in the title of this thread. They're both scrappy guys and Warren has youth on his side. If you look at old pictures of skinny George, I think Warren could probably pop him one in the nose and then get him down on the ground and start throwing super fast punches.

However, if you're talking about buff George, that's a different story. I think he could kick just about anyone's butt now. Have you seen the biceps on that guy?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like them both - but I'm in the Lynch camp. I always liked Warren, his style and playing...but really feel his was marginally unique as players went during that era. Marginal may be a bit bit rough - but just isn't guitar god material to me. Lynch has a much more distinctive style & tone IMO. Lynches one thing being his own thing is way more impressive to me.

The thing about those multi style studio dudes is I've heard a million of them and don't care who any of them are. Lynch - I can name that tone in 1 beat! Bunch of Steve Morses...jack of all trades master of none.

DiMeola, Gatton - that's a whole other level....

And Akira Takasaki could steal licks from all of them better than anyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    However, if you're talking about buff George, that's a different story. I think he could kick just about anyone's butt now. Have you seen the biceps on that guy?

The irony is that George went on tour with Yngwie during his most obese period. Those two together must have been quite a sight then!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These two guys are my two favorite players. If you are a blues player your going to side with Warren as he is very blues based (ala blues descending ascending scale runs with the basic blues licks ala schenker, clapton). Very conservative in his approach. George on the other hand is unorthodox in his approach "not conservative". His technique and style is clearly his own and is un-mistakingly George. George's style combines gothic octave scales, diminished runs, ascending descending scalar patterns, and makes good use of the church modes. Sorry GearJoner my vote goes to George..

If you want to see someone that can rip these two to shreds listen to John Jorgenson. Go dual with this guy and he will tear your head off on an acoustic..I've seen this guy live and have had the honer to meet this guy. His skills are sick..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Diminished77 View Post
    listen to John Jorgenson. Go dual with this guy and he will tear your head off on an acoustic..
    Click here.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

George hands down. This guy blew me away as a kid so much that I decided that, screw what everybody else says, 16 is not too late to start I will be in the band that plays original material(If you bought your guitar in 1991 people would say 16 its way too late of start, back then it was.) I can always identify with him, he still says that after all these years its hard for him to learn other people stuff by ear. Its a majore effort for me, and everytime I just give up and get a tab. But like others said, 4 bars and you know its him, or somebody really faking to be him. Yes he plays his tone and his "thing" but I've decided that I'd rather have a day job and play my own music and maybe someday achieve my own artistic identity than play other's people music for a living. I dont hear of Warren DiMartini doing a lot of session work, like say Reb Beach. But Warren is great though, I think he actually picked some stuff from George, I always felt that him being younger he was part of the crew that kinda came after Eddie, Randy, George. And of course I cant diss Warren at all as he was an AOR man for a few albums, so Warren is great it just I think that George is 100% unique, just think about, there is a lot of Zakk, YJM, EVH, Vai, Petrucci, wanna bes, but how many Lynch wanna bes can you name, people who have a recording career out doing Lynch thing? that's right .....
    “My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Fullshred/Tex-Specials) ->

BadHoarsie1-> TS9 RI (Spina Mod) Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12"

Old School from Down Under
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think I could say "wannabe" without it being a slur, but, I know of a UK guitarist who built up an online following out of a strong Lynch influence. He seems to be doing quite well for himself using that, but, aside from him I can't say I can name anyone else who comes close.

I can't recall anyone I've ever heard who sounds like Warren, but, I personally feel he's not as well known or recognised. That's a real shame cos he's a player I've always rated as really tasteful.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post

Working out builds muscle mass not fighting skills. But back to the thread , both incredible players but I`m giving the nod to Lynch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Snyder View Post
    And nowadays he looks like he has...
    +1 he is one F B
    I need no stinkin signatures

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sruffie777 View Post
    +1 he is one F B
    You bumped a 3 1/2 year old thread just for that profound statement?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    You bumped a 3 1/2 year old thread just for that profound statement?

It's funny but, I'm glad he did. I love reading GJ's stories. It's killer stuff!

I need to go further than the current running page of threads.
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

\m/ AWESOME question. This is the only question that really matters! Honestly, in the spectrum of things guitar and rock, these two don't compete but actually embellish each other. When Im on the mood for Duncans, i listen to one or the other (or Jake or Akira), and together they uphold a wanton ethic of violent growling tone, heavy chords and hellyeah chopsy solos that communicate something amid memorable, melodic tunes.
    [Only downside is the cheesy Cali drift with gettin buff- thumbs down, any Jimmy Page acolite knows Lucifer gave skinny guys electric guitars to keep from getting beat up by violent jocks. i admit, ive lifted weights BUT IM NOT A ROLE Model...]
    Dont get me wrong, i love metal, but it creeps me out how expert mayhem metalheads around my neighborhood have never had a girlfriend. So huge props to both for filling stadiums with hot fancy, funlovin BABES with lots of eyeliner- thats a heroic mission!
    I thought GLynch had much tackier tastes, esp in guitars, BUT he was older and reinvented his playing to update- not easy. Ratt didnt have a good ballad or guitar i strumental,and Dokken had Pilson on harmonies, but SPearcy was grittier than DonDokken... So yeah, Warren is covered in more cool, while Lynch had technique but i cant pick, ... both make me want to bust out the eyeliner and spandex and aquanet, go to an ocean of headbangers and hot chicks who arent mweh er um when it comes to GETTIN IT on! ... and onstage, amid sheets of colored lights and staging come the rugged pillars of JB driven chords and shiny high note solos! Cant pick, they just both uphold a Platonic Ideal of Hedonistic Satisfaction on LA Streets.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wixedmords View Post
    I'm quite a fan of both of these Gents. It would be like picking between kids.
    +1 and I wish I could play half as good as either one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gotta go with Warren. Lynch has influenced how I write riffs alot, but I really love DeMartini's bluesy style.
    GuitarStv: O.o

Uptonogood
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly, I'm not too much into them, but Lynch's DVDs show some pretty interesting approaches to the guitar, specially the right hand stuff involving harmonics and some other tidbits.