Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

Quote Originally Posted by mediumpimpin View Post
    Let me get this straight, is the laquer (sp?) taste series nitro or not? I'm mainly asking about the E-LP-98LTC, that's the one I've been lusting after.
    No, they are nitro OVER poly.
    Guitars (from favorite to less favorite):Parker Fly Deluxe, "Frankenstrat":B.C.Rich neck+Shamray CS body, Orville by Gibson Black Beauty Reissue, Steinberger GSXSTD

Pickups I currently own: Custom wound pickups a la Dimarzio VPAF/VHPAF with mismatched coils and Alnico2 magnets, Shadow SH-EQ5, SH-663 actives, Gibson '57 Classics and Burstbuckers

Pickups I tried and sold: SD Hot Rails, Invader, Gibson 496R, 500T, EMG 89, 89R, Dimarzio AirNorton, Norton, ToneZone, AirZone, Parker Fly Customs.

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pstarove View Post
    No, they are nitro OVER poly.
    I see. Would one of those finishes age nicely or would it be basically the same a regular poly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bump

So are y'all saying an Edwards LP is as good as, if not better than, the equivalent Gibson LP you can get here in the States?

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    bump

So are y'all saying an Edwards LP is as good as, if not better than, the equivalent Gibson LP you can get here in the States?

- Keith
    From what I've gathered that seems to hold pretty true. Most edwards owners I've talked to have said that typically only the custom shop and historic gibbos are better. Of course there are exceptions, but I don't think an edwards, especially the higher end ones, can be beat at their respective price range.
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think Gibson has anything to worry about. I read an article a few months ago about how Gibson guitars are the top selling brand in Japan. Rich Japanese college kids who don't even know how to play a guitar buy them and hang them in their dorm. It's like a status symbol to own a Gibson made in USA.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

Quote Originally Posted by noremorse View Post
    I don't think Gibson has anything to worry about. I read an article a few months ago about how Gibson guitars are the top selling brand in Japan. Rich Japanese college kids who don't even know how to play a guitar buy them and hang them in their dorm. It's like a status symbol to own a Gibson made in USA.
    I don't at all doubt the cache the name "Gibson" has over any other name. That said, I'm wondering about the actual quality of an Edwards guitar. How does a given Edwards compare to a Gibson of the same type, at least as far as the Les Pauls are concerned?

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't at all doubt the cache the name "Gibson" has over any other name. That said, I'm wondering about the actual quality of an Edwards guitar. How does a given Edwards compare to a Gibson of the same type, at least as far as the Les Pauls are concerned?

- Keith
    Factoring out price, playing both guitars with a blindfold on:

You may not know the difference. If you can tell, it's because your ear is tuned to Gibson pickups specifically or you're really familiar with the feel of their finishes.

I don't have a USA Les Paul to compare to my Edwards, but it does not fall noticeably behind my new ES-137 in terms of quality (which is hard for me to admit since I just dropped the coin on a Gibson Memphis guitar). The necks are surprisingly similar as well, so the Edwards LPs must have the equivalent of the '59 Roundback shape. Comfy. Also, they seem to be made consistently enough that it is not difficult to dial in a perfect set-up on one. The action on mine is very low and buttery with no buzz and the guitar is loud, resonant, and full-sounding unplugged all the way up the neck. The hardware is all good-quality Gotoh stuff on the Gibson copies, though I've seen OFR and Kahler USA trems on some of their other models. The finish work, binding, fret work, cavity routing, inlay, everything is alarmingly precise.

Also, the LPs seem to all be made with good-quality wood that is properly dried, light weight, and resonant. Mine weighs 8.5lbs and is not weight-relieved. Edwards LPs (and SGs, etc.) also feature a long neck tenon, if you're someone who cares about that.

The only area in which I can clearly give the edge to Gibson is in the electronics. Edwards uses Duncans on most of their guitars, but I find the pots, caps, and wiring in most stock Gibsons to be a little better and more consistent. Buying and Edwards new means you might have to re-ground something, or in my case, remove the unpotted cover from a pickup. Also, a Gibson with a flamed top is going to be a flamed top all the way down to the mahogany - Edwards uses flamed maple veneers over plain tops on their fancy-topped guitars.

Of course, given the price of Edwards guitars, fixing something like a wiring issue is hard to take too harshly since it's like someone is basically paying you $1000 to do it.

I'll put it this way - if you put tape over the headstock logos on a Gibby LP and an Edwards LP and had to choose between the two, you're probably going to pick the Edwards at least 50% of the time.
    Last edited by sosomething; 12-07-2007 at 04:39 AM.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Skarekrough

Quote Originally Posted by noremorse View Post
    Exactly....it's a status symbol BECAUSE it's made in the USA.

And that's fine. I actually encourage such a thing.

But I don't NEED to play a status symbol. I need to play something that sounds good, feels good, and does what I want it to tonally and sonically.

Edwards and other MIJ companies have become THE alternative for those that look at Gibsons pricing and their proclivity towards older high-end players with silly money.

We saw alot more younger kids with the MIJ clones and now were seeing older players looking at them.

When I go to grab a Les Paul for something I grab one of my Grecos. It is as interchangable as my Gibson or any other Gibson I have played.

- Keith
    Mostly I have seen and heard them to be as good.

Most issues I have heard are minor quibbles. But primarily they're issues that would likely also be there if you were buying a Gibson. The difference is that for the money the necessity to cope with the quibbles becomes MUCH more tolerable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most issues I have heard are minor quibbles. But primarily they're issues that would likely also be there if you were buying a Gibson. The difference is that for the money the necessity to cope with the quibbles becomes MUCH more tolerable.
    And I imagine the lot of these quibbles are fixable, yes?
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, there's really no reason not to get one.

A quibble with a newer Japanese copy is a lot more likely to be around the electronics or something than an unfixable error like a wrongly-positioned bridge post or screwed-up binding.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am very, very seriously considering picking up an Edwards. I need to unload some of my other gear first, just to afford it. I just want to make sure I'm getting a quality product, which I can't do sight unseen without the testimonials of people I trust.

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quite Frankly, Edwards poops all over your typical production Gibson from a quality control standpoint. The craftsmanship is amazing,especially considering the price. Fretjob was absolutely perfect. Nut was cut absolutely perfect. It had a couple small blemishes. Nothing major.

Where they lack , IMO/IME is the quality of some of the materials namely

1) lacquer taste finish..its well done, but thick and cheap feeling. Standard poly would be better.

2) Binding. Again, it extremely well done, but the binding is like typical MIC/MIK guitars. Cheap looking (almost looks like paint) and feeling compared to a quality binding from Gibson, Hamer USA, Dean, etc. Tokai's binding is far superior in quality of material

3) Uses the old 58 style low/wide frets. May not be a deal killer for some people, but may be. Tokai/Greco/Burny do as well.

4) electronics as stated.

#1 was the big thing for me. It totally choked off any tone of the guitar. It was way too dark/warm. Guitar was very resonant at the neck joint and sustain was decent.

But the Tokai that replaced my edwards was a far better les paul. It had a much thinner finish, better natural tone, more Gibson-like "feel", and despite the short tenon sustained substantially better, nearly as good as my r8!

That said, I'd buy another Edwards in a heartbeat, but I'd get the regular poly finish. I just don't trust that Lacquer taste finish, and HATE the feel of it...feels like wax.

I would higly reccomend springing for a hardcase if you buy one from TAK or KOiz or whomever in Japan. Gimpy has that name for a reason, and trying to get EMS or the USPS to own up to a damage claim IME, is not gonna happen.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who are the recommended dealers of Edwards? How about Tokai, Greco or Burny?

Also, how do I know if the finish on one of these guitars is lacquer taste or poly, if it's not mentioned in the description of the guitar itself?

- Keith
    Last edited by Pink Unicorn Horsey; 12-07-2007 at 07:10 AM.
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edwards website details the models. I believ the Lacquer models have an LT prefix.

www.KatanaGuitars.com Check out his ebay site for current inventory. Tak is a great guy to deal with.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All Lacquer Taste models have the LT or LTC distinction like Jeff mentioned.

Jeff - I'm surprised you hated the lacquer finish so much. Felt like wax? That's crazy. I wonder if the finish on your guitar was misapplied or did not cure properly before being shipped. I don't find the finish on mine to be any thicker than that on my Gibsons, and I'd call it thinner than the finish on my Carvin for sure.

It's not a highly-buffed finish though. I suppose they wanted it to look like aged nitro.. it's not quite matte, but you won't see your reflection in it.

ALSO - Keith - I've heard great things about Katana Guitars (Tak) but if he doesn't have what you want, I cannot recommend Ishibashi highly enough.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    Jeff - I'm surprised you hated the lacquer finish so much. Felt like wax? That's crazy. I wonder if the finish on your guitar was misapplied or did not cure properly before being shipped. I don't find the finish on mine to be any thicker than that on my Gibsons, and I'd call it thinner than the finish on my Carvin for sure.

It's not a highly-buffed finish though. I suppose they wanted it to look like aged nitro.. it's not quite matte, but you won't see your reflection in it.
    I could deal with the "Satin" type nature. But yes, quite thick and hazy. To the point where it looked like there was nearly 1/4" of finish between the veneer and top of the guitar (not saying there was in actuality, but it looked that way to the naked eye). The back was similar. The finish had a hard waxy like feel to it. Could have been done incorrectly for all I know. It was terrible regardless. Nowhere near as thin as a Gibson Nitro or even an Epi poly finish.

I used to have some pics...I'll see if I can dig em up...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    All Lacquer Taste models have the LT or LTC distinction like Jeff mentioned.

ALSO - Keith - I've heard great things about Katana Guitars (Tak) but if he doesn't have what you want, I cannot recommend Ishibashi highly enough.
    Katana Guitars has one that I love, but I don't see the "LT" or "LTC" designation. It's guitar no. 012 from his website. Can you tell? Am I missing something?

I'm going to check out Ishibashi right now. Is that where you got your Edwards, Adam?

- Keith
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Katana Guitars has one that I love, but I don't see the "LT" or "LTC" designation. It's guitar no. 012 from his website. Can you tell? Am I missing something?

I'm going to check out Ishibashi right now. Is that where you got your Edwards, Adam?

- Keith
    I happen to know that that particular guitar is not an LT model. For reference, all the LT models on his site are noted with either "Nitro top" or "lacquer top" in their titles.

I got my LP from ishibashi - they have native-English-speaking staff on hand to help their western friends. My service was prompt, friendly, and once the guitar shipped (I had to wait for ESP to make a new batch) it got to my door from Japan in 2 days. It shipped on a Thursday afternoon and EMS knocked around 10am that Saturday.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I'm all confused. So if it's an "LT" or "LTC," it has the lacquer taste finish; otherwise, it's poly? I'm not particularly finish-savvy.
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

heres the pics I have left FWIW...