Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

I was reading a bit about the Edwards 335 models, and was surprised that the body's top and back are solid maple versus Gibson or Heritage that use a laminated top and back. When it comes to 335s, does it matter if the top and back are solid versus laminated? Being a fan of real wood versus laminated, I just don't know much when it comes to guitars. Thanks

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Re: Man, those Edwards LP's/335's sure are tempting

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    That first one with the P-90's......that's the one I want.

I really wish those were all over the American market, and I don't even know how Katana legally sells them here. They aren't for sale at all in the US. How about the European market? Maybe the only place you can buy one in a store is Japan?

Gibson's worst nightmare would be competing with an identical clone for $750, hanging underneath the Gibsons at Guitar Center.
    Is the quality of the Edwards LP Junior just as good? As you can see from this thread, I'm seriously considering an Edwards LP, but what I'm really after is a LP with P-90s, so I might be just as happy with Edwards' take on the LP Jr. I just don't know if their Juniors are as good quality-wise as their custom LPs are.

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can vouch for the Edwards too! I had a Sykes and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! I had to sacrifice during a period of financial distress.. I dont need anymore guitars, but I cant stop wanting another. It was tough looking and played like a dream!
    There are 3 models I want..

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kherman View Post
    XXXplorer, I'm going to be straight up and honest.

When you go for Explorers and Vs, your not really saving anything by going MIJ.
    You should be able to find a new Gibson Explorer for around $900.
    You just have to do some shopping.

I got my '07 Explorer Pro new for $899 locally.

It's a great guitar.
    The '07 Gibson have been getting great review as far as QC goes.
    My exp pro is a great example of it.

So, again I think the Gibby Explorers and Vs are still a great bang for the buck.

Beside build quality, it's the difference in price between MIJ LP standards, SG RIs, and 335 Semi-hollows and the real deals that make the MIJ the better deal imho.

So, it makes you wonder why the MIJ builders sell all their replicas for around the same price.
    But, Gibson has such a price gap between it's Explorers and LPs.
    Demand most likely. But, still.

That Explorer Pro is beautiful. What color is that....wine red? Lovely looking.

They used to have these ones too but they got rid of them...they were SO NICE looking!!

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker35 View Post
    I love my Jap Pauls. Here's my two Edwards and my Burny with Floyd Rose and Sustainer......

How does the white laquer Edwards sound compared to the black poly finish?

Is there even a difference that you can tell?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ranalli View Post
    They used to have these ones too but they got rid of them...they were SO NICE looking!!

Oh yeah, these are amazing!!!

Rocker35,
    sweet axes!! I have a Burny too! Awesome! Pauls do look odd with a floyd cuz it isnt something we are used to seeing.. However, I think its a cool combo.. Probably less likely to sound thin.

I have my own version of a paul with a trem. Its a Washburn Steve Salas. It looks more like a super strat, but the build gives it more of an LP vibe: Mahogany body and neck, 24.75' scale. Neck thru. Its heavy like a paul and has a big sound.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ranalli View Post
    That Explorer Pro is beautiful. What color is that....wine red? Lovely looking.

It's Heritage Cherry.

The earlier Exp Pro's were actually called the Xplorer Pro. ('02 to '05?)
    No E.
    They featured the block inlays and an ebony fretboard.
    Some pop up time to time on Ebay.

Ultimate Tone Member Pastor of Muppets's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I picked up my first Edwards a few weeks back and she has had a good test run now...I wanted an LP that I could gig with (without the 'oh **** I dinged my Gibson' paranoia) that had the versatility of coil tapped Buckers.

I am not a fan of reliced guitars BUT I am a huge Page fan and I couldn't find an unreliced model. Plus the flame on this one was great - in some lights it's invisible, in others it is beautifully subtle. Exactly what I wanted.

The neck SD 59 is nice - slightly crisper and brighter than I tend to like neck Buckers, but it's very usable and sounds great when split for that Hendrix vibe. The bridge Custom, however, is incredible - hands down the best bridge pup I've had in any guitar. I love it. Doesn't sound good split - too weedy - but I would never choose to use it in that confirguration anyway.

Fit and finish is good - I don't buy new guitars as a rule as I like played-in necks, so this needs some wearing in, but overall guitar is superb. Weighs 8.2lbs - nice and handable. Hardware is unreliced - which is an oversight - but that aside I can't really fault it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01311.jpg  
    In the immoral words of the great warrior Poet Ice Cube, if the day does not require an AK, it is good.