Thread: Nut files and Nut materials

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nut files and Nut materials

hi,

ive decided to buy a set opf nut files and have a go at making a new nut for my strat project. i AM aware this is not a very easy thing to do but i'd like to have a go and try to learn a few things.

ive seen on ebay there are a few 'blocks' of buffalo bone which specifiy that they will amke around 5-6 nuts for a strat and is quite cheap.

is that the right sort of thing to buy after i have got my nut files?

i have read instructions. watched videos and read up on how to file a nut but i really would like to give it a go and see how i can get one to turn out.

obviously it will take me a good few try's to get anything useable but you need to start somewhere...

would anyone reccomend a certain type of bone to use?

wether to get 'bone blanks' or a block and cut it down to size yourself?

thanks

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nut files and Nut materials

The way I would go about it is, I would start out practicing on some cheap plastic nut blanks, and once I get the shaping technique down, I'd go to bone. Fossilized mammoth bone is supposed to be denser and more consistent than bovine bone; whether it sounds better (or whether bone sounds better than composite plastics) is a matter of personal taste.

I have done a couple of nuts from blanks, and the first time I totally f'd it up, but the second time was better. Not perfect, but better. The last one I did (for a Les Paul) was using the starter nut from Mojotone -- it has starter slots to save you the trouble of measuring.
    Last edited by 3th3r; 12-30-2007 at 10:54 AM.

[ LP Standard G0 ][ SG Standard R2 ]

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes im thinking about getting a tusQ nut for a strat as it looks like it will fit.

if its pre-slotted i sholdnt have a problem because il be extra carefull not to over file...any tips on the angle of the slots?

how will i know if all went well?

theodie

Corian is my material of choice. It is the same stuff counter tops are made out of. It is easy to work with, does not stink like bone. polishes well, etc. It also has a good tone.