Thread: Steve Morse - La Villa Strangiato

ObsoleteChickenPickingologist Butch Snyder's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Steve Morse - La Villa Strangiato

Absolute Awesomeness.....

I remember my bass player trying to get me to like Rush when I was 15. I just couldn't take Geddy's voice and I was trying to find a direction on guitar. I had only been playing a couple of years and most of my influences were my friends. The pros I liked were Tom Sholz, EVH, Roy Clark, and Ace Frehley. I didn't really know about anyone else. I heard their music but didn't really know about them as individual players.

I remember, at 15, sitting by my neighborhood pool. I was with my bassist and we had a little tape player. You have to remember that when I was 15 it was 1980. No CD's or boom boxes - we called them ghetto blasters back then. He had a tape in and started playing the tune that Would change my life both as a player and a listener. La Villa Strangiato came on and I listened to it over and over. It is still one of my all-time favorite instrumental tunes.

I happened along others' versions of through the years. Greg Howe did one that was nice. My favorite version is, no doubt, Steve Morse's. I found it on my PC after not listening to it for about a year. It's not only great Steve Morse guitar work, but the rest of the band plays and sounds incredible.

The issue is that I can't upload the MP3 for you to listen to and I think if I uploaded it to youtube, it would violate the terms of agreement. I don't know how to upload somewhere where people can listen and I wouldn't be violating anything. Anyone got any ideas?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Steve Morse - La Villa Strangiato

Haha! Steve Morse. He can play a little guitar when he wants to eh?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just watching some Steve Morse- DP's 'Live in Bombay' recorded late '95...their version of Anya is stunning. I gotta say, I prefer his tone from the 5150s.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I was just watching some Steve Morse- DP's 'Live in Bombay' recorded late '95...their version of Anya is stunning. I gotta say, I prefer his tone from the 5150s.
    I know he's using ENGLs now. When was he using the 5150's? His tone on La Villa Strangiato is some of the best I have heard from him.

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last 2 times I saw Steve Morse, he was still using Ampeg V4's. That was a loooong time ago.

The first time, the Dixie Dregs were opening for Kansas. The second time was a double bill with the Steve Morse Band and Allen Holdsworth (in his Charvel-with-a-Floyd days) in a bar in Philly. 1984? 85?

Some guitar was played THAT night.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 01-04-2008 at 08:39 AM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

cool tune indeed - i loved learning it - jammed on it once impromptu at a music store with a bassist i had never met ... i started playing the opening arpeggios and he came in with the bass line .. we just kept going until the end ... he wanted to do YYZ next, but i didnt know it all

i gotta try to find morse's version

t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Last 2 times I saw Steve Morse, he was still using Ampeg V4's. That was a loooong time ago.

The first time, the Dixie Dregs were opening for Kansas. The second time was a double bill with the Steve Morse Band and Allen Holdsworth (in his Charvel-with-a-Floyd days) in a bar in Philly. 1984? 85?

Some guitar was played THAT night.
    No doubt!!

Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    cool tune indeed - i loved learning it - jammed on it once impromptu at a music store with a bassist i had never met ... i started playing the opening arpeggios and he came in with the bass line .. we just kept going until the end ... he wanted to do YYZ next, but i didnt know it all

i gotta try to find morse's version

t4d
    I have it. I'm trying to figure out a way to let everyone hear it and not violate any laws or anything...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd forgotten all about this! I believe I heard Morse's version of the tune once. Is it on a Rush tribute on Magna Carta records?

I didn't know Greg howe had done a version . He's amazing. That'd be cool to hear.

Le Villa is a great tune. In fact the Hemispheres album is still one of my favorite Rush albums, as well as some of the others they released in that mid 70's - early 80's time period.
    "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Snyder View Post
    The issue is that I can't upload the MP3 for you to listen to and I think if I uploaded it to youtube, it would violate the terms of agreement. I don't know how to upload somewhere where people can listen and I wouldn't be violating anything. Anyone got any ideas?
    It's not that anybody else on youtube has a license to upload those 9898789 music videos there. You just have to put some pictures into the background so that it is a technically a video.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
    I'd forgotten all about this! I believe I heard Morse's version of the tune once. Is it on a Rush tribute on Magna Carta records?
    Yep, he did it for the "Working Man" album. He also did a version of Red Barchetta on that CD.

doesnt sound like morse on the solo after the "trade 8s" section between the drums and bass .. is it?

edit - according to a google search, there is another guitarist soloing on that tune
    http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/s...pcrelease.html
    3) “La Villa Strangiato” – 9:26
    Album:Working Man (Tribute to Rush)
    Steve Morse: Classical Guitar & Main Solo
    Mike Portnoyrums
    Billy Sheehan: Bass
    Brendt Allman:Rhythm Guitar
    James Murphy:Ending Guitar Solo
    David Townson: Rhythm Guita
    Last edited by tone4days; 01-04-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know he's using ENGLs now. When was he using the 5150's? His tone on La Villa Strangiato is some of the best I have heard from him.
    All the Deep Purple stuff up to the last year was with the 5150s. The Engls have more mids, and more distortion...not as clear of a separation between the notes.

If you get a chance to see 'Bombay', do it. I own a ton of Morse videos, and this is just about the best.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tone4days View Post
    doesnt sound like morse on the solo after the "trade 8s" section between the drums and bass .. is it?

edit - according to a google search, there is another guitarist soloing on that tune
    http://www.magnacarta.net/releases/s...pcrelease.html
    3) “La Villa Strangiato” – 9:26
    Album:Working Man (Tribute to Rush)
    Steve Morse: Classical Guitar & Main Solo
    Mike Portnoyrums
    Billy Sheehan: Bass
    Brendt Allman:Rhythm Guitar
    James Murphy:Ending Guitar Solo
    David Townson: Rhythm Guita
    Yep, you're right. He does the main solo. I think it's really cool that Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan play on that tune too. I think Morse should have done all the guitars on that one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    YES, thanks for that!!!!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Great_Kazoo's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
    I didn't know Greg howe had done a version . He's amazing. That'd be cool to hear.
    One of my favorite Rush tunes--I like both Morse's version (I have the tribute CD)
    and Greg Howe's take on it, which can be found HERE.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rush are an amazing band, but ive never been able to play their stuff, not because of any lack of ability, there isnt one, to be honest, but because of lack of patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    It's a federal crime to transport A Minor across state lines for purposes of blues.

http://www.facebook.com/gegjm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YES!

I could create an account on my FTP space that anyone could log into and download... Where it goes from there???? HEY! Not my problem! haha

La Villa is one of my favorite Rush tunes. When I was 15 or 16 I decided that I was going to sit down and lean the whole thing note for note...

I got **** close! Never quite learned the middle section solo (middle?!?!) but I recall nailing the first 1/3 enough to plaster my friends & college music teachers to the wall when I was 17 or so.

I would LOVE to hear Morse rip through it!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Moose View Post
    YES!

I could create an account on my FTP space that anyone could log into and download... Where it goes from there???? HEY! Not my problem! haha

La Villa is one of my favorite Rush tunes. When I was 15 or 16 I decided that I was going to sit down and lean the whole thing note for note...

I got **** close! Never quite learned the middle section solo (middle?!?!) but I recall nailing the first 1/3 enough to plaster my friends & college music teachers to the wall when I was 17 or so.

I would LOVE to hear Morse rip through it!
    It's actually here....

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post