Thread: Don't put your Speaker Cab next to your TV

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Don't put your Speaker Cab next to your TV

Has anyone ever noticed what happens to their TV when you put an amp or speaker cab too close to it? Don't do it, since it can permanently ruin your TV. It'll turn one side of your TV screen all of the primary colors.
    Even after pulling the speaker magnet away, the TV takes awhile to readjust. If it doesn't, your TV is ruined. If anyone has the technical explanation, lets hear it.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Kometose Tonologist Young Angus's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Don't put your Speaker Cab next to your TV

The magnets in the speakers are powerful magnets (depending on the speakers of course), and magnets ruin or warp the TV tube or whatever is inside the TV and does exactly that...warps the colours.

Magnets wreck stuff...not just TV's either! But thats what's happening, im sure someone else will be able to give a more technical reason...or if no one does ill just ask my dad...hes into that stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The electron beam in your TV is guided by magnetism. Also, the "aim" is tweaked by small magnets place around the yoke. (The long "end" of the picture tube.)

It shouldn't be permanent however. You just have to de-guass the scrren. Its done by holding a deguassing coil in front of the screen and moving it around in large circles while slowly moving the coil away from the screen.
    Its the exact same thing as demagnetizing a tape head.

Modern TV's have the function built-in, you just hit a button on the front.
    You can buy a degaussing coil from Radio Shack, or any halfway competent TV shop can do it for you. Its a run-of-the-mill service and should be pretty cheap.

Ultimate Tone Member OUTLAW1969's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear ya Artie. I used to work for a high end audio and video store chain in Atlanta as a Home Installer/Troubleshooter, and I hated doing that!!!! I got to make my own appointments and my own hours so that was the cool part of the job. It is truly as simple as making circular motions with the Degaussing Coil in front of the TV and slowly moving away with it. But it seemed that everytime I went to a hot womans house , her TV was screwed by having the stereo speakers too close to it. I would always open my big mouth and say, " No, your TV is not ruined , I can make it better, just give me a minute" as I was moving the speakers away from it. They would walk out of the room , only to return a few minutes later to me waving this magical circular wand (like some sort of wizard) in front of their television. It would fix the TV, but those calls were certainly always "uneventful" due to the fact that you look like a jackass waving this thing around in their living room!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    The electron beam in your TV is guided by magnetism. Also, the "aim" is tweaked by small magnets place around the yoke. (The long "end" of the picture tube.)

It shouldn't be permanent however. You just have to de-guass the scrren. Its done by holding a deguassing coil in front of the screen and moving it around in large circles while slowly moving the coil away from the screen.
    Its the exact same thing as demagnetizing a tape head.

Modern TV's have the function built-in, you just hit a button on the front.
    You can buy a degaussing coil from Radio Shack, or any halfway competent TV shop can do it for you. Its a run-of-the-mill service and should be pretty cheap.
    THat´s the technical explanation for it.

As far as Discovering what happens: Welcome to 1964, would you like your Chevy with or without fins?
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

3 cent hero

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    or you can turn the TV off for 8 hours. thats what we do when this happens.

Volume Enhanceologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the same reason that computer speakers and studio monitors are magnetically shielded ... Some TVs also have geomagnetic correction built in as the Earth's magnetic field varies from area to area and can effect the picture colours and tilt the picture slighty ... I always wondered why every bedroom TV that I had had the picture tube misaligned ... it wasn't it was that it was the magnetic field in the area. Didn't figure it out until I got a new TV for the living room, looked thru the manual and found out what the geomagnetic correction control did. Everytime I would bring up the menu functions I noticed that the it appeared just slightly tilted,I thought it odd that every TV I had did this. Did it on the new one until I adjusted the control ...cool.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3 cent hero
    or you can turn the TV off for 8 hours.
    Thats a little radical, don't you think.