Thread: Padauk Tone Body and Neck

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Padauk Tone Body and Neck

I'm building a guitar out of padauk with a neck I picked up that has a padauk fretboard. I'm trying to decide on a pickup combo.

Don't worry, I'm in the right section of the forum, this is a question about the guitar tone wood not pickups.

On Warmoth, they describe the tone of padauk for the body as almost exactly middle of the road between bright and warm, much like alder. However, for the neck they show it as on the brighter side close to maple. WTF?!?!?

I'm confused on why that would be the case, thus my question:

Does anyone have experience with a padauk body guitar with a neck that has a padauk fretboard? Or basically, why would the wood have a different tone in the neck and body?

theodie

Default Re: Padauk Tone Body and Neck

Here is what you are going to get, a bunch of folks that shoot from the hip just like Warmoths generic and confusing answers. You will get one of 2 answers most likely.

#1, sounds like Mahogany
    #2, Bright as hell

Fact of the matter is, it is likely that hardly anyone has tried it so, nobody will really have much first hand experience. Maybe somebody will? Make sure you filter out the BS, the armchair quarterback responses, and the usual mis-information bro and good luck. Hope someone has expereince with it.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Padauk Tone Body and Neck

Funny thing is for the basic woods such as mahogany or maple or even korina, the tone for neck and wood match up, either both warm or both bright. Something like padauk shows a neutral body tone but bright neck tone or conversely, bubinga shows a medium bright body tone but a neutral warmer neck tone.