Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boutique pickup lovers????????????

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Boutique pickup lovers????????????

Anyone out there just love and prefer hand wound pickups from the little guys like WCR, Wolfetone, WD, Motor City and so on? I go back and forth on this subject and always seemed to come back to stock pickups, Duncans, Rios or Dimarzio.

I did try a Motor City recently and found it really nice however so the insane pickup hunt may be starting again. Ugh!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boutique pickup lovers????????????

I like, and have used many boutique pickups, and I think that most Duncans are on par with them, so it's just a matter of taste, but not quality.

My favorite singles have been a small one-man operation, Chubtone, as well as Antiquities, but I still like Duncan humbuckers enough to never stray from them. There's so much to choose from in the Duncan line that even boutique pickups are usually just some formula Seymour and MJ already use.

My attraction to some makers like Chubtone and Lollar are simply because they pinpoint good examples of particular years of Fender. Then, I can choose 61, 63, 69. My favorite strat set is still Chubtone 69's.....they sound killer.

You just have to pinpoint which specs you like, and then buy whatever you want. I think it's silly to pay $300+ for some pickup sets, considering Duncan will usually have almost the same thing for less.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-27-2008 at 06:19 PM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like Duncans, Dimarzios, EMG, Gibson, WCR, Fralin, Rio, Lace, etc. I don't pick one over the other because I think one is better, they're all good. But each has their own flavor offerings so I choose based on what I'm looking for at that moment. FWIW I find I do settle mostly on Duncan and WCR.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually I find a GAPING hole in the Duncan line and a big reason why I look at so many other manufacturers. Duncans have little to nothing between the 8 - 14k range. I have bought lots of other pickups from others at 9k, 11k, 13k, 14k and so on. I like Duncans but they can be a bit dry and I prefer a more thick and rich tone.

I have been amazed at the balance, clarity, detail and musicality of Motor City pickups. His prices aren't too bad at about $120 a pickup.
    Last edited by papersoul; 01-27-2008 at 07:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, thei Motor City Torque is one of the best pickups I hagve ever heard. It is about 14K+ and just unreal now that i have spent some time on this baby. You guys should check em out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never really strayed away from the SD line to be honest. Ive found the sound i want from the likes of the 59, aph2, jazz, and PG. Honestly dont see the point in going out and paying double for some boutique pup that i have never heard before.

As for singles, the only pups ive tried that i liked more than the duncans were the lollar dirty blondes. The SSLs i have in my strat just now however, are more than pleasing to the ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever since I tried my Antiquities I licked blood and now I want to try other boutique pickups.

I need a pair of P-90s anyway, so I'll hunt down some boutique soapbars (incl. Antiquities if I can find them).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by papersoul View Post
    Actually I find a GAPING hole in the Duncan line and a big reason why I look at so many other manufacturers. Duncans have little to nothing between the 8 - 14k range.

Yes, i think so too.
    Why not a overwound SD-59 10-11K and maybe some more Paf sounding pickups around 10-12K ?
    Of course there is the BroBucker and 78 but i want something in the lower pricerange and not from the Customshop.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find a GAPING hole in the Duncan line and a big reason why I look at so many other manufacturers. Duncans have little to nothing between the 8 - 14k range.
    I agree 100%

Right now I'm looking for a 9k-10k hot rod PAF with an A2 (maybe an A5) and the only way to get that from Duncan is the custom shop, which at $160 + tax (I'm in CA) and + shipping ends up being just as, or even more expensive than the top boutique brands. They should make the 78 a production pup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
    I agree 100%

Right now I'm looking for a 9k-10k hot rod PAF with an A2 (maybe an A5) and the only way to get that from Duncan is the custom shop, which at $160 + tax (I'm in CA) and + shipping ends up being just as, or even more expensive than the top boutique brands. They should make the 78 a production pup.
    Go to Wolfetone and get a Caretaker or email Wade at Motor City Pickups. Trust me!
    Last edited by papersoul; 01-29-2008 at 10:07 AM.

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really dig Antiquities, Chubtones and WCR's. I've got no complaints with standard Seymour Duncans and will take them over basically everything else out there.
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing I have always agreed with GearJoneser on is that we both tend to like pickups in the 14-15k range for more versatility. It seems with lower output, 8-9k, I find them good for lower output settings...where pickups like the C-5 and others in that range seem to do better for a variety of styles classic to modern, clean to heavy so you end up with a more versatile axe. Roll back the volume on the guitar or gain on the amp with a C-5 and you can approximate a 59 for example.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jon Moore winds great pickups. I had him make a set for my #1 axe.
    Awesome tone, and build build quality was great. Price is very reasonable too.

He usually has an auction on ebay for a matched set made to your specs.
    I won the auction at around $120, so it cost me around $60 per pickup

Lewguitar

I have Duncans in 90% of my electric guitars.

But I use Joe Barden's in my favorite Tele.

And I have Joe Barden Strat pickups in my G&L SC-3.

I have double cream Tom Holmes humbuckers in my Les Paul 1959 Historic, and they're the same pickups Tom wound for Billy Gibbons.

I use the K&K Trinity Western pickup/mike system in my Taylor 814C acoustic guitar.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 01-29-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have not found any mass produced pickups to have the clarity and note separation of a hand made pickup.

How do you search on EBay for Jon Moore pickups? I never see em.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll add my 2 cents...I like the sound of my SG standard with duncans much more than my SG 61 reissue with WCR's. The standard sounds fat and warm. My reissue is thin and bright. I'm still working with the WCR's swapping magnets, changing pots/caps all that jazz. It's a real hoot that after all that money spent between electronics/pickups (very expensive) that my standard still sounds much better w/ stock electronics/SD pickups that cost half of what I paid for the other pups. I gig on a regular basis and prefer the standard over the 61 although I do switch them up. I will say, WCR's customer service is top notch and they offer a variety of pups. I guess if you find the sound you're looking for, they are worth it. Unfortunately, I didn't find it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents...I like the sound of my SG standard with duncans much more than my SG 61 reissue with WCR's. The standard sounds fat and warm. My reissue is thin and bright. I'm still working with the WCR's swapping magnets, changing pots/caps all that jazz. It's a real hoot that after all that money spent between electronics/pickups (very expensive) that my standard still sounds much better w/ stock electronics/SD pickups that cost half of what I paid for the other pups. I gig on a regular basis and prefer the standard over the 61 although I do switch them up. I will say, WCR's customer service is top notch and they offer a variety of pups. I guess if you find the sound you're looking for, they are worth it. Unfortunately, I didn't find it.
    How do the guitars sound acoustically?

Thought about exchanging the pickups as an experiment?

A 61 RI with boutique pickups is an expensive piece to take up storage if you don't like it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents...I like the sound of my SG standard with duncans much more than my SG 61 reissue with WCR's. The standard sounds fat and warm. My reissue is thin and bright. .
    That's the difference between those two guitars period regardless of pickups. The 61 has a lot less wood - thinner body, sharper bevels, shallower neck joint, and a thinner neck. That's going to translate in a thinner/brighter tone than a standard by design, not necessarily just pickups.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have not found any mass produced pickups to have the clarity and note separation of a hand made pickup.

How do you search on EBay for Jon Moore pickups? I never see em.
    +1 on the clarity and note separation of handwounds.
    There really is "something" there that is different.

His ebay ID is jsmoore64
    Here's a link to his auctions:
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...sassZjsmoore64

His website is http://www.tonefordays.com/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
    That's the difference between those two guitars period regardless of pickups. The 61 has a lot less wood - thinner body, sharper bevels, shallower neck joint, and a thinner neck. That's going to translate in a thinner/brighter tone than a standard by design, not necessarily just pickups.
    Right on. I figured that because of the chunkier neck in the standard as well as the body. I guess I thought I was going to hear a massive difference from the stock 57's vs the WCR's. I should experiment and throw the WCR's in the standard. I also have an extra vintage electronic kit I could put in...Maybe the standard will sound even better..Regardless, I am happy with the standard at this point with the SD pups.