Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Children Of Bodom

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Children Of Bodom

thoughts on the band, and predictions on the directions that they're heading.
    Solve et Cuagula, oh Baphomet!

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Children Of Bodom

Something Wild - showed promise, wasn't bad at all.
    Hatebreeder - proved this band was a force to be reckoned with.
    Follow The Reaper - amazing album - the signature 'Bodom' sound, easily their peak.

Everything after that is pure crap, IMO. HCDR had some alright moments, but it's when Alexi became more concerned about being the next Marliyn Manson than actually playing his guitar.

After that, they just started listening to a lot of crappy American hardcore bands, it seemed. Terrible music, terrible vocals (never a selling point of the band, anyways), really cliche... just bad all around.

The latest one I've got a little hope for. The one video I saw seemed to be a good effort on their part, and I think Alexi's really stepped it up on his vocals.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i don't seem to know them as much as the man above, but i love them. i like: living dead beat,in your face, next in line, bastards of bodom, every time i die, kissing the shadows, hellion, needled 24/7, etc.
    Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion)
    Squire Affinity Series Strat (Hotrails bridge)
    Some no name acoustic
    Amp: Fender something 2x12
    Pedal: POD X3 Live

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't the Alexi Laihlo or whatever his name supposed to a badass or something or the guitar? I've heard very little of their music so I have no clue. Last time I subscribed to GW, they were all over that guys nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

H8Red442

As usual VK has it right.

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Pull my finger and the Toothless One will tell you
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I resisted them for a long time, thinking I wouldn't like them. Then on a whim I got Hatebreeder and was impressed, and I listen to it quite often. I love how the songs were structured - it seemed very deliberate and intriguing, like they just didn't pull a Machine Head (The Blackening) and string together a bunch of riffs that don't fit together and call it done. I also liked the song Needled 24/7 off one of the more recent releases. Where are they going in the future....probably the fate of nearly ever other band after many albums - in the crapper. I think they may be one of those bands where if you have a few of their old ones, you're pretty much set.
    Last edited by DankStar; 02-26-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that kid can play. one of the few newer shredders that i really dig on. enough to ignore some of his vocals. the best part for me is the keys and the drums.

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

<3u H8Red.

I definitely dig Alexi's playing - one of the more unique lead guitarists about these days, and he has his *own* sound.

I love the drums... but I wish the keys would take influence from bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Old Man's Child - simulate an orchestra, not a Super Nintendo.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

im a big fan, i loved the first few albums. the last two have been not quite as good IMO but still have some good songs.

not impressed with the couple of songs ive heard off the new album though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    ....simulate an orchestra, not a Super Nintendo.
    yah, sometimes the dude is all "spider fingers" it goes well with the weedeling, though. it would be cool if he played some early type o stuff. like wolf moon......

Zuhahahaologist daemon barbeque's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They do nothing for me...Whenever i try to "enjoy" their work ,it's not happening...
    It feels somehow cold and unnatural ...I dunno...Not my cup of tea i guess!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    ...they just didn't pull a Machine Head (The Blackening) and string together a bunch of riffs that don't fit together and call it done.
    Whoa, gotta disagree with you there. The Blackening was my favorite of 2007. Great songs, great performances, great tones.

Quote Originally Posted by daemon barbeque View Post
    They do nothing for me...Whenever i try to "enjoy" their work ,it's not happening...
    It feels somehow cold and unnatural ...I dunno...Not my cup of tea i guess!
    Same here, they didn't gel with me.
    Curt
    CGord on myspace.com or soundclick.com

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Black Cherry
    Dean Z-X, SD SH-6 Distortion (bridge), Black
    Ibanez RG410, EMG 85, Pearl Red
    Squier '51, 2-Tone Sunburst
    Washburn WG587, Metallic Red
    Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 bass, Black
    Ibanez SR500 bass, Satin Mahogany

H8Red442

<3u H8Red.
    I'm siggin this

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Pull my finger and the Toothless One will tell you
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CGord View Post
    Whoa, gotta disagree with you there. The Blackening was my favorite of 2007. Great songs, great performances, great tones.

Same here, they didn't gel with me.
    I know I go against the grain on that one for the most part. Maybe I should listen to it a few more times.

H8Red442

Don't bother dank. The Blackening was exactly what you said it was.

Ultimate Tone Slacker hanumanlangur's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I'll be in the minority here, but I just don't see the band as having much substance. It just seems like it's all flash, and way too much melodic shredding, so it sounds like power metal.

I saw them live, and didn't care for them then, either, but I thought it was funny when Alexi called the missionaries outside **** suckers, and said they should be thrown to the lions.

I think their image is probably part of what bothers me. Alexi is very over-the-top, with black painted nails, creamy white skin, caked on eyeliner, and about a hundred bracelets. And I don't like that they curse in their lyrics. Whenever I hear that stuff in metal lyrics for the shock value, it reminds me way too much of rap.

I'm much more interested in the At the Gates reunion these days.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a really hard time getting passed Laiho's tone.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

<3u H8Red.

I definitely dig Alexi's playing - one of the more unique lead guitarists about these days, and he has his *own* sound.

I love the drums... but I wish the keys would take influence from bands like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, Old Man's Child - simulate an orchestra, not a Super Nintendo.
    I think simulating an orchestra should be left to real strings and horns.

You got a keyboard?

USE IT! get the most out of it.

That's my perspective.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my band:

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanumanlangur View Post
    Maybe I'll be in the minority here, but I just don't see the band as having much substance. It just seems like it's all flash, and way too much melodic shredding, so it sounds like power metal.

I saw them live, and didn't care for them then, either, but I thought it was funny when Alexi called the missionaries outside **** suckers, and said they should be thrown to the lions.

I think their image is probably part of what bothers me. Alexi is very over-the-top, with black painted nails, creamy white skin, caked on eyeliner, and about a hundred bracelets. And I don't like that they curse in their lyrics. Whenever I hear that stuff in metal lyrics for the shock value, it reminds me way too much of rap.

I'm much more interested in the At the Gates reunion these days.
    So calling Christians cocksuckers and saying they should be thrown to the lions for shock value is cool, but profanity isn't? Seems like there's a breakdown in logic somewhere in there dude. I mean black metal bands were saying "**** Jesus Christ he's a ****ing ****" since the 80's...hell they had that big sing-a-long at Woodstock..."gimme an F...gimme a U...gimme a C...gimme a K...what's that spell!?" and people have been using such profanity since World War II at least...why does it remind you of hip-hop?

and why is being reminded of hip-hop a bad thing?

I pretty much agree tho. There are way heavier bands with way stronger riffs that don't dress like sad Hot Topic clowns. I mean maybe that was imposing and spooky in like 1984 but we live in a post-'the Osbournes' world and nobody is impressed with that retarded 'spooky' look anymore.

My relationship with metal has always been weird tho. I don't like Metallica or Pantera or Slipknot or Cradle of Filth or any of those other corny mainstream bands that the mags try to push on us like they're the ****ing saviors of rock music. I knew kids high school who played heavier music than those bands so i just never wasted my time...
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Mahogany slabs with P-90's into a Marshall.

There is literally no rig more rock-n-roll than that.

H8Red442

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    So calling Christians cocksuckers and saying they should be thrown to the lions for shock value is cool, but profanity isn't?
    Throwing Christians to the lions is always a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    My relationship with metal has always been weird tho. I don't like Metallica or Pantera or Slipknot or Cradle of Filth or any of those other corny mainstream bands that the mags try to push on us like they're the ****ing saviors of rock music. I knew kids high school who played heavier music than those bands so i just never wasted my time...
    Well I'd hardly call CoF, Pantera and Metallica mainstream or corny. You forget that Metallica and Pantera were the underground when you were born.

In time your highschool kids playing heavier-than-thou music will also be mainstream in time.

Claiming classic metal bands like Pantera, Metallica, Maiden, or any of the bands from late 70s, and 80s are corny and mainstream is as much denying their place in music history as claiming Zeppelin and Sabbath are corny and mainstream. You don't have to like it, but they've earned their place at the table.

Now go set the world on fire with your scary talent.