Thread: What Is Best Potentiometer?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What Is Best Potentiometer?

What is the general consensus of opinion as to the best type of potentiometer to install in a guitar. Seymour Duncan seems to advocate linear (these have a constant change in resistance between 0and10 ) while others advocate Audio (where the resistance changes as a logarithmic function) on the grounds that these actually sound more "straight line change" to the human ear. Others advocate a mix of Audio for volume controls and linear for tone controls. Presumably quality of build is also a factor ; a quality linear will probably be superior to a cheapie Audio and vice versa.

Which brings me to my next question. Who is the pot manufacturer of choice. Great things are said of C T S but I do not think they make a push pull , which is my main interest. Does anybody know what brand push pulls the custom shops of the top end guitar makers use? I have been told that the push pulls in a Gibson SG Special are made by DiMarzio but my source is suspect.

I can say that the 4 pots on my cheapie Squire Telecaster seem to perform more positively than those on my Washburn hollowbody but I have no idea as to what type is fitted to either.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What Is Best Potentiometer?

Hey G!
    Gibson gets their push/pull from the same place DiMarzio buys theirs from. Dimarzio has their Pots made from CTS. CTS makes a variety of potentiometrs, just because a "guitar" company doesn't carry them doesn't mean they are made by that company. CTS makes a varying range of robust pots. You can get tolerances that are gnat's ass tight or stick with standars 5-10% tolerance for stuff that is used in guitars. CTS pots can be purchased from Newark, DigiKey, McMaster-Carr, Mouser... All of these electronic component parts houses have loads of cool stuff, you just have to be specific as to what your looking for. Do some digging at these sites you'll be amazed at wht is out there.
    Here's CTS's Pot page
    http://www.ctscorp.com/components/potentiometers.htm

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen this CTS special made Superpots by RSGuitarWorks
    http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore...roducts_id=388
    Does anyone have tried them?
    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-25-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're looking for a volume pot, The Allesandro pot is amazing.
    I've got 2 on my Strats and they're really smooth and perfectly tapered.
    Not cheap though.

The Bourns super pots are also great, if you can find them.

The RS pots are nice but very stiff and RS' carriage charges are a total ripoff.
    Good guys to deal with though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks good people but can anybody give me a actual lınk to a vendor of CTS push pulls hopefully wıth a recommended part no. Also, re my original query. what ıs prefered linear or Audio.