I decided to pick up a Korg Pitchblack (great tuner pedal btw), and figured that since I'm in Dumbassland ... er, I mean the USA , I might as well get it at Guitar Center and save myself a few bucks.
I drove to the Orange CT location. Here are my thoughts:
- Layout-wise and size-wise, it's a lot like Long and McQuade (Canadian chain)
- Selection is pretty much the same as the aforementioned Canadian store
- Prices aren't that much better on most items
- The two employees I spoke to made L&M's idiots seem like Stephen Hawking. Seriously, I couldn't believe how dumb they were. I read all the stories, and went in prepared for stupidity, but gawd! I fully understand all the complaints now. Wow. I'm talking "Darwin Awards" levels of dumb.
- Said mentally challenged employees clearly are put under a lot of pressure to sell add-ons. I was offered every conceivable add-on for my friggin tuner pedal. Do I have a power adapter? Do I want the extended warranty? Do I need batteries? How about a cable? Is this why Americans carry firearms? To whip out when you just want to pay and leave, but the guy won't shut up? I think I'm starting to understand this country.
Anyway, the store served its purpose. I have the pedal, and I paid about $15 less than I would have in Canada. That $15 did cost me a portion of my sanity though.