Thread: Alternative 8 is a keeper!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alternative 8 is a keeper!

Just installed the Alternative 8 in a PRS Single Cut. Very nice! Not harsh on the treble or bass, mids are right at home no matter what height I tried it at. Seems to overdrive my tube amp at just the right point. IMO, there are no compressed sound issues or fizzyness, but all the desired character of the Duncan Custom is there plus some. Single notes are clean and clear when desired. I height matched it close in volume level to the Jazz neck although I may be changing the neck pickup to a pearly gates because the pearly doesn't seem to sound as fat or something I just can't describe.

At this point, the only bridge humbuckers for me are the Alternative 8 and the Custom 5. I still have to try the JB at some point.
    Last edited by MultiCaster; 04-26-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alternative 8 is a keeper!

Amen! Welcome to the congregation Its like they took all the good qualities from the SH-4, SH-5 and SH-6 and left out all the bad ones when they made this pickup.

Ultimate Tone Slacker skyydogg01's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alternative 8 is a keeper!

I needa try this puppy. I love the Crazy 8 in my "standard" guitar. I need something close for my "dropped C" guitar.
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2008 Fender Standard Stratocaster (GFS Mean 90/stock/stock)
    2009 PRS SE Singlecut Korina (Crazy 8/'59n)
    1992 Squier Silver Series Stratocaster - Wayne's World Edition (JB/HR101) - currently on drydock
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric