Thread: 500k + 1 Meg pots... what happens if...?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 500k + 1 Meg pots... what happens if...?

Hi, guys!

I've run out of 500k pots, and I need to fix this guitar... what happens if I use a 1 Meg pot for the tone control? How would it affect the sound?

BTW, my 1967 MIJ Emperador 335 copy came with these pots... a 500k pot for volume, a 1 Meg pot for tone w/ a .22 cap. Two years ago I thougth it sounded pretty good with the original Gotoh p'ups... which measured 11.3k at the neck and 11.8k at the bridge. Very warm and smooth. I took'em off because they were going into uncontrollable feedback even with low gain... it was the covers; I've found that out just recently!

Anybody?

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Ultimate Tone Slacker hanumanlangur's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 500k + 1 Meg pots... what happens if...?

Basically, the tone control just works like a filter taking out treble. The higher the pot's value, the less that will be taken out relative to the control's position (even on "10"). But you should be able to simply turn it down a bit to simulate a 500k pot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 1 meg tone pots in my two Virtual Vintage-loaded Strats, and the effect they give with those pickups (not sure what you're using, or if the outcome would be similar) is a very wide - almost wah-wah-esque - sweep to the tone control...I can dial it to jangly, near ear-piercing highs to complete (almost) mud and all points in between...it's actually pretty cool, I've wondered how/if they'd work with other pickups...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you just turn the 1 Mohm pot to where it reads 500 Kohm on the ohmmeter, then it does precisely what a 500 Kohm at "10" would do.

(same trick doesn't work for volume)