Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Been A While Since I've Posted Anything (4 tracks, 5150, DFHSl)

Mojo's Minions Virtual Kevorkian's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default It's Been A While Since I've Posted Anything (4 tracks, 5150, DFHSl)

Spent today tracking guitars through my 5150 for a couple songs, figured I'd share my prelim mixes with you guys.

None of these have bass, and only the two with asteriks are finished as far as writing goes.

My personal favorite, symphonic blackmetal type tune, with vocals:
    http://jefftd.googlepages.com/SDM5150NoBass1.mp3

*I've posted this before, kinda epic/power-metal esque:
    http://jefftd.googlepages.com/TLG5150NoBass.mp3
    (was tracked/mixed last weekend, slightly different tone/mix)

*Might've posted this as well, thrash/melodeath combo:
    http://jefftd.googlepages.com/NotE5150NoBass.mp3

Black Dahlia Murder esque melodeath song:
    http://jefftd.googlepages.com/BDMish5150NoBass.mp3

Lemme know what you guys think!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It's Been A While Since I've Posted Anything (4 tracks, 5150, DFHSl)

PS Deathmetal cover of Love is a Battlefield!

http://jefftd.googlepages.com/LiaBF.mp3 (PODxt, not 5150, older mix as I got bored and never finished tracking the song)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It's Been A While Since I've Posted Anything (4 tracks, 5150, DFHSl)

Man, I'm just killing myself here.....been about a week since the right ear of my PX 100's crapped out and all this great music is being posted in T&C. Is my best bet still to replace them or has sennheiser came out with something better?

These are all outstanding, really digging the symph and thrash clips.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers dude! I still really like my PX100's for everyday listening, but when I'm on a plane, in a car, walking around town, etc... I use my CX300's, the in-ear style isolating headphones. The PX100's let in too much ambient noise (part of their design) to be using around where there's lots of noise, as you have to crank the volume to get it over the background noise and ear fatigue sets in faster.

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, Jeff! This absolutely rocks. That 5150 sounds very full. Add some bass and tell your drummer he can soak his feet in some ice water.

cg

P.S. I forgot to mention that you are one talented motherf*cker!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll tell you why there aren't more responses in here, people listened to something and realized 'this dude is 17/18 and has more talent than I'll ever have.'

But see, it surpasses talent. Ayn Rand had talent. What separates you Jeff, is that you've taken your raw talent and turned it into something pretty spectacular.

I mean I'm currently (as in while I type this) listening to Buddy Holly, after listening to that first song (need names btw!). Your 'blackmetal' is transcendent, in that I think it's good enough where even people who hate that music would still appreciate it. That's a rare quality. And to be so young?

Good God. Kong hit it on the head.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlTheBird View Post
    I'll tell you why there aren't more responses in here, people listened to something and realized 'this dude is 17/18 and has more talent than I'll ever have.'
    That's exactly what I was saying to my wife yesterday as I was playing those clips for her. "Hear this guy? He wrote and played this stuff himself. Impressed? Now here's the kicker: He's still in high school. He's gonna be a monster in a few years."

- Kong

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow.....! Too good! I love your guitar sound, it's very rich, compared to a lot of the bee swarms that are to be found in this genre... Agree with DLT (), add some more bass..

You're going places... Keep up the good work!

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gonna download and listen in the car. gives me something to do on the ride home. you're bumping S.O.D., so it better be good! just kiddin', I know your stuff, it'll be good.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds great!

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic! U have a great feel for modern metal!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cheers guys! I'm deffo not set on the mixes... kick is too loud in EVERYTHING and there needs to be some automation done, esp. with the strings and synths.

Quote Originally Posted by KGMESSIER View Post
    tell your drummer he can soak his feet in some ice water.
    What drummer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    I love your guitar sound, it's very rich, compared to a lot of the bee swarms that are to be found in this genre...
    Thanks! That's what I was going for, a fairly rich, but still tight and focused tone. I think the 5150 delivered the goods this time! It'll need a bit of a boost at 5khz or so once the bass gets in, to cut a bit more, but for now I'm digging it a fair bit!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
    What drummer?
    I know, but the joke was too brilliant to pass up. BRILLIANT!

Human powerplant Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hehe so smoking as usual!!!!
    Not gonna miss you know!
    Information is not knowledge.

neonderthalotonalogist Dr.Mavashi's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Abviously I loved the second track. You a have great tone, taste and sense of song structure and phrasing its beyond me how you cant stand Randy Rhoads ...... was that EZdrumms ?
    “My Singal:
    MIA Lone Star Strat(HSS-Fullshred/Tex-Specials) ->

BadHoarsie1-> TS9 RI (Spina Mod) -> Ibanez FL9_RI -> Ibanez CS9_RI -> MXR CAE 401 ->

50 watt Laney AOR_ProTube 6 knobber (Vinnie Moore mod - V1 with second half engaged) | efxloop Rocktron Hush pedal | ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12"

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cool stuff! some of the riffs reminded me of something I would have made up in the heydays of my thrash days (some of them sound vio-lence or old annihilator inspired). super tight playing!

definitely add a real bass. might be tough to decide if you want to use a distorted or clean bass (or a mix). the songs are so clean, a dirty bass might help make them a bit "tougher" and "live-r." do you have a bass? would be a good investment if not, even a cheapy.

I recall one solo was very dry (until the end where it seemed to have a verb or delay during the fade out). i'm more of a reverb-on-solos guy to add another dimension.

regarding the ride - I couldn't tell if it's always the bell or if there's another ride sound in there too, but the bell seemed to take on a life of it's own every so often, like multiple hits caused it to produce a tone I kept noticing. it might be a tad too loud, not sure. I like to mix it up with the bell and the non-bell part of the ride (whatever that's called). maybe you do that too, but I couldn't tell in my car, I just recall the bell.
    Last edited by DankStar; 05-13-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Old School from Down Under
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Jeff, fantastic work, mate!

Jolly and I were talking last night, and he brought your name up, asking if I'd heard any of your recent tunes. I hadn't, but I'd always enjoyed reading your posts/answers to posts regarding production/mixing/recording - I'll stand by exactly what I told him, man, you have a great ear, you've worked hard at your art, and it shows......thanks for sharing, great job again, and, wishing you the best of luck!

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice! You're doing fantastic work.

I'm old so forgive me but I just don't get the cookie monster vocals? It really sounds like it hurts too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my god, dude. Get a deal doing soundtracks for videogames or shows or something, you're a god**** gold mine at this rate.
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some really great stuff there!

I'd find a way to get those drums back to reality a bit in the Black Dahlia style tune or maybe use some other sort of sound to keep that tempo. It makes it sound "wind up bunnie" to my ears. Otherwise you just keep stepping it up, excellent!