Thread: Are my pickups out of phase/wired wrong?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Are my pickups out of phase/wired wrong?

Hey folks.

I'm trying to resurrect an old Peavey Tracer from the dead. I've put a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge, Duncan hot rail in the middle, and Dimarzio YJM in the neck. I redid the wiring entirely since someone else did it last time and did some pretty wacky stuff in there. I thought wiring it according to diagram would fix it, but it's not quite 100%. The neck pickup has markedly less volume no matter what. I've wired the red lead from the YJM and the DSonic to the switch, and the black lead from the hot rail. Are they out of phase, or something even though I guess they're technically humbuckers? The YJM sounds just stupidly thin both with the hot rail and on it's own, and I can't help but think something's up. Yngwie's tone can't be THAT bad! The rail doesn't sound right either. I've heard hot rails before and this ain't it.

If they're out of phase, which one do I rewire?

Thanks so much.
    Craig.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Are my pickups out of phase/wired wrong?

It doesn't sound like it's a phase problem, if the problem exists even when only one pickup is selected. Check for low resistance paths to earth at the output of the neck pickup, check everything for continuity, etc

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Check for low resistance paths to earth at the output of the neck pickup"

I don't exactly know what that means. I'm decent at soldering the stuff, but the actual 'how it works' is a little tough on the old coconut. Oh, and I don't know if it helps, but there's a HUGE yellow circle between the vol & tone that I could only guess to be some kind of resistor thingy.

Mind elaborating a bit on what low resistance paths are?

Thanks.
    Craig.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry man,

Basically, I had the same problem with one of my pickups a while ago. It turned out that the output from that pickup was being partially shorted to earth, so it was sounding weak. If you have a multimeter, the resistance between the output of the neck pickup and earth should read as "open".

I just said low resistance instead of short circuit because if it was a total short you wouldn't be hearing anything much at all.

That yellow circle sounds like a capacitor to me. If it goes between one leg of the tone pot to the body of the volume pot (which is earth), then that's fine

Hope that helps man.