Thread: Kay K-30 Les Paul Copy - Value & Wiring Question

Senior Member Johnny Nightslayer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kay K-30 Les Paul Copy - Value & Wiring Question

I recently purchased a mid 70s Kay K-30 Les Paul copy guitar. I have not been able to find any info on them on the web, and they are not in the vintage guitar guide that I looked at at the library. I guess my first question is, does anyone know how much they are worth? I'm guessing $300-$500, but I'm not entirely sure.

Heres a crappy body shot, but I assure you it looks MUCH nicer in person. My camera isn't too good. I'll try to get better pics later. I can't figure out what kind wood it is though. Something I don't think I've seen before.

Right now its got the stock Kay pickups, but I wanted to replace them with better ones. I'm planning on keeping the stock pickups, incase I ever want to return it to all original. Although the guitar already looks like it needs a new nut. I might replace the bridge too. Would replacing the current pickups forever ruin vintage value? It seems like if I kept the originals, and since it is a non destructive mod, it wouldn't affect value. But than again, I don't know what I'm doing.

I've got a Harmonic Design HB I want to put in the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan APH-1 HB I want to put in the neck. I'm having trouble figuring out the wiring.

Heres what the wiring looks like in the K-30:

The wires coming from the HB are the green, the black, and the smaller red wire. I'm going to draw a schematic of how this one is wired before unsoldering it. I'm not actually sure how good these potentiometers are...I may replace them eventually.

Heres the wiring on the HD HB:

I guess what is confusing me, is that there is a green and a black wire, but no red wire...Just the larger piece of wire that it says should be connected to the ground. I'm going to keep reading and looking at diagrams to figure it out but I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice on the wiring, or otherwise.

Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Kay K-30 Les Paul Copy - Value & Wiring Question

So I figured out this was a really dumb and simple wiring question.

I'm still curious if anyone knows anything about the Kay K-30?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sale price - $17.63
    Reworking cheesy 70's LP copy into sic-mad-tone-to-die-for-budget-LP-copy - Priceless

It's always funny when people ask about my "Old Black Beauty" with the Tone Zone. $150 Kaman GTX-36!

Price/performance ration is just devastating. Not as much cool or mojo as either of my top LP's....but for one and half bills - it ROCKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heh, yeah I think it will be a sweet guitar when I get finished with it.

Think I should replace the knobs? I'm not sure I dig the stars....

Maybe I should just replace the pots too...I'll make a vintage bone nut for it too. The one on its got cracks. The tuners are still great, but I could replace them eventually too. This actually seems like a real nice guitar already. Its got lots of dings on it from being gigged. It came with a hardshell case too. The whole guitar, and inside the case still smells like whatever finish they put on it.

I'm interested to hear what the combo of the Harmonic Design V+ and the Seymour Duncan APH-1 sound like. Maybe I'll go all out and do the JP wiring method...