Thread: Pickup installation for PRS 5 way rotary?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pickup installation for PRS 5 way rotary?

Hi guys,

I am sure this was asked before but couldn't find much on it. I am about to replace the bridge pickup in my 1994 PRS CE-22 which has the 5 way rotary. If i am just swapping the bridge pickup, do I need to do anything special? I have no idea what PRS does to the pickups or magnets prior to installation. I know it is hum cancelling but isn't that normal since there are always two coils selected, but I suppose they have to be side by side to be hum cancelling, duh.

Anyway, PRS doesn't list info on which wires are for which coils so I wouldn't know how to wire in a Duncan or RIo Grande. I am trying both.

Is my only option to just have my PRS Dragon rewound?

Thanks!
    Rich

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pickup installation for PRS 5 way rotary?

If you are using a rotary switch for the 5 PRS sounds, you cannot mix a Duncan with a PRS PU. The start/finish winds of the coils are different and will not mix well for pos 7, 8, and 9, which use a coil from each PU together. Easiest solution is to swap them both, though there is probably a more painful way to go about it and keep your Dragon. I'll leave that to someone more knowledgeable than me.
    "Ayo, lesson here, Bey... you come at the king, you best not miss."

-- Omar Little

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, but wouldn't swapping both be a problem? I am not sure how the wiring matches up. Ugh!

I was also thinking of just having the Dragons rewound by a winder, but that would be the same since he would use his own wire.

I guess I am stuck.

If this is going to be a hassle, maybe I'll leave it stock. I am not a huge fan of ceramics though. I am trying not to swap pickups unless necessary, but the Dragons are pretty good. I run into more problems with some Gibsons.
    Last edited by papersoul; 06-08-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can mix PRS and SD pickups with the 5 way switch easily. The answer is in the FAQs section of the main SD page.

Flip the magnet in the bridge pickup and use white for hot and red for ground.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support..._seymour_dunc/

It works. I did the original benchwork for this in my CU24 a couple of years ago.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S. View Post
    You can mix PRS and SD pickups with the 5 way switch easily. The answer is in the FAQs section of the main SD page.

Flip the magnet in the bridge pickup and use white for hot and red for ground.
    Learn something new everyday! (Unfortunately, I seem to forget a few more for everything new that comes in.)
    "Ayo, lesson here, Bey... you come at the king, you best not miss."

-- Omar Little

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Robert! I'll pass this to my tech. I hope Rio Grande offers the same info on this as well because I am trying a Rio Grande. My tech said it would be easy to just replace both with SDs or Rios because then he doesn't think flipping would be involved.