Thread: VH1 Rock Honors: The Who

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up VH1 Rock Honors: The Who

Hell yeah!!!! The Flaming Lips were good, but Pearl Jam is killing! Thank God for DVR!!!!
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: VH1 Rock Honors: The Who

I was ****ing pissed. I'd like to march the flaming lips into a volcano. I saw the Who in 2000 before Entwhistle died when I was 11 & they were my favorite band. the lips & EDDIE VEDDER are far from the REAL thing.... disappointing.

18 watts of Mayhemologist JumpMarine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by YEM View Post
    I was ****ing pissed. I'd like to march the flaming lips into a volcano. I saw the Who in 2000 before Entwhistle died when I was 11 & they were my favorite band. the lips & EDDIE VEDDER are far from the REAL thing.... disappointing.
    Tell me what you really think?

But you've got to admit that intro by Adam Sandler was really cool
    Gibson R8, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Divided by 13 EDT 13/29, Twister Dust Devil, Marshall Class 5, Various pedals

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that was pretty cool... The Flaming lips vocals were awful at times but still they did a great artistic show like they are known for.... The Foo Fighters singer was sick/ill but still they did their best version of Who tunes... Pearl Jam was pretty darn good...

The Two/Who themself are doing amazing for their age..... many rock musicians could only wish to still be playing like these guys at that age...
    Last edited by WhoFan; 07-18-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ps-Can't wait to see them again this fall!!!! I wish i was rich so i could fly to some of the other concerts as well.....

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it's odd seeing Mike from Pearl Jam breaking a Les Paul again.... i wonder what is left of that old 70's LP Custom he used to trash and repair all thru the mid 90's... must be all glue by now....

Ultimate Tone Slacker loudriver23's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the show was pretty cool for what it was. The Flaming Lips blew chunks, The Fighters of Foo were pretty good, and as much as I dislike Squirrel Jam, they were by far the best of the night, followed in my opinion by Tenacious D, and Incubus in a distant third.

As for the Who themselves, Pete can still play, Roger's voice is still signature, and they sounded pretty darned good.
    I do miss both John, and Keith though, but I refuse to say that the Who has jumped the shark.
    MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
    MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
    MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
    69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
    Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
    Martin D28

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TrippyVinylologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoFan View Post
    Quadrophenia is my favorite who record, respectable job.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it rocked. Dave Grohl may have been sick, but having Gaz Coombes cover vocal duties on "Bargain" completely rocked.
    Facebook - My facebook page
    Sundown Audio - My band

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    Quadrophenia is my favorite who record, respectable job.
    seeing The Who pull Quad off live in 1996/97 was great with all the backing musicans and stuff.... it was always a hard one for the band to pull off live in the 1973-74 era.. trying to stay in time on stage to those backing tapes proved to be too tough for them... but ya it is one of there best, if not their best album ever....

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tickets for this mini tour the band is doing are starting to come on sale for the show in my area... of course they put them on sale while i'm due to be at work!!!! Bastards!!! TicketBastards

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That Pearl Jam performance was great! Really nice LP/Marshall tone on the solo too.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought The Foos were the best of the evening. I've never spent a single cent on Pearl Jam, but I knew they were going to be great as well (The did a great version of The Commodores "Easy" on SNL years ago).

Was it me, or did The Who get wrong end of the deal with soundmix? It seemed the sound engineering quality dropped a bit. I don't think they did not do long enough segments for Moony or the The Ox. <<<Maybe all that stuff is online, and for DVD releases?

Did anyone catch the extra knob on Pete's Strat!? it was mounted about 1" (50mm) behind the treble side of the bridge plate.

Nevertheless, I will always have the hugest soft spot for The Who.
    Last edited by Sludgenutz; 07-20-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgenutz View Post

Did anyone catch the extra knob on Pete's Strat!? it was mounted about 1" (50mm) behind the treble side of the bridge plate.
    Thats a volume knob for the piezo bridges he uses. Instead of using just an acoustic guitar or electric guitar during a song, he'll often use that Strat (or a few others he has like that), to get both whenever needed. The signal is a stereo signal sent to a special stereo splitter box that splits the signal into the acoustic and electric tones. Electric tones get sent through his pedalboard to those Fender amps, and the acoustic tone gets sent to (I believe) Fender Acoustasonic amps (someone correct me on that if I'm wrong). I've been wanting to add a setup like that to one of my guitars, the idea is really cool.
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow! Very cool indeed!

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ya Pete has been using that stereo set up for a while now... Since 97/98 at least... before that he had EC Strats with Floyds and Kalher Spiders...

his current set up is the EC electronics go to the Fender Vibrokings and the Fishman Power Bridge goes to an Acoustic preamp into some monitors... Pete often is playing with both systems on... and justs mixes the piezo's volumes to match what he is playing... many Who recordings have an acoustic guitar buried in the mix anyways...

Over at Peter Cornish's site he has a group of photos of Pete's custom pedal board and the splitter unit....

up until 2004 Pete was sending the Fishman signal to a Fender Acoustisonic amp... but these days he has a mixer in a rack with some sort of audio gear in there for his Gibson acoustics and the Fishman's from the Strats

the extra volume knob on Pete's strats for the Piezo's i hear is some sort of EMG product... in behind the trem the bodies are routed out for the Fishman's and EC's battery packs, plus the EMG preamp for the piezo's... i've never fully understood how the 2 systems of active electronics work on one guitar but they do make it work... the cords Pete use on stage are stereo to his Pedalboard were the signal is split

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i didn't do too bad getting a ticket to the Who in the fall... 12th row floors but to the far side... still pretty cool... if i wanted to spend $447 i could get 4th row center from ticketmaster but that is just crazy!!!!