Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Time in the Philippines is Coming to an End

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Time in the Philippines is Coming to an End

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll definitely be back here in the future - haven't found Marcos' gold yet (though I think I'd have to go to Switzerland or the Cayman Islands for that).

As Imelda once said when asked if they would give back the money they took: "Give it back? Of course not. If we gave it back that would mean we stole it."

Unfortunately she is still a popular society figure here. Some things about the country can be a mite infuriating

But hey, it took a growing and more empowered middle class to change things in the UK, and that's the same thing people are working to create here...

Fleecy Sweaterologist The Golden Boy's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny R View Post
    Sunset over the hills outside Cotabato City. The hills are not really safe to travel around, due to conflicts in the region...

My Dad's family is from around there.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I am just jug the merlot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
    My Dad's family is from around there.
    Yeah, I remember us talking briefly about that...well, it's generally a beautiful area, but unfortunately right at the moment there is a bit of conflict going on in parts of Mindanao...I'm not sure if it has calmed down again yet, but when I was there it was basically peaceful (apart from the 2 bombs and 1 shooting during our 10 days there).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe you could embark on some sort of business involving both NZ and Philipines, allowing you to travel between the two on a regular basis. Also, it'd put to work some of the good people you've met.

I know that's what's always on my mind when traveling to Honduras. I'll likely be going there yearly for the rest of my life.

It is truly heartbreaking to see the potential, but know that corruption and limited funds squelch any possibility of growth. It's enough to make you want to get wealthy people involved, building their infrastructure as an investment. The only problem is the government in almost every case. If they can't line their pockets, they want no part of letting foreigners in to better their country.....at least that's how it seems.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jonny, you have set an excellent example for the rest of us.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Jonny, you have set an excellent example for the rest of us.
    Well, thanks...perhaps I can agree in as far as I overcame my initial apprehensions and moved here anyway, but really life here doing this is so darn good, I just wish more people can experience this kind of thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Maybe you could embark on some sort of business involving both NZ and Philipines, allowing you to travel between the two on a regular basis. Also, it'd put to work some of the good people you've met.

I know that's what's always on my mind when traveling to Honduras. I'll likely be going there yearly for the rest of my life.

It is truly heartbreaking to see the potential, but know that corruption and limited funds squelch any possibility of growth. It's enough to make you want to get wealthy people involved, building their infrastructure as an investment. The only problem is the government in almost every case. If they can't line their pockets, they want no part of letting foreigners in to better their country.....at least that's how it seems.
    Actually, you're right. I recently did an article on an elementary school that a few friends of mine here have opened. The husband left a very good business position here in Manila to focus on creating the school...

The next thing they're looking at doing is leasing a warehouse on a lot neighbouring the village, to create a clothing business making high-complexity luxury clothing, for sale first in the Phils, then possibly to export markets.

This will mean they'll be investing the capital for machinery, then spending some good amount of time upskilling the village residents to do the work. But in turn, it will create a viable longterm livelihood for many residents who currently do not have work.

Just a few months back the whole community were living in cardboard houses next to railway tracks...so this is a pretty cool thing being worked out.

Focus is this work is becoming pretty holistic. Housing, education, healthcare, now livelihood...it's all about creating viable long-term life.

Actually, I've bought a condo here in Manila as an investment, so while I need to get a job in order to be able to make the payments (before my savings run out completely haha), it's cheap compared to NZ and has good investment return...and it means I'll definitely be back and forth to here a bit, so investing in business here would be very cool, if I can manage. Starting a business here would be a whole new level of adventurous for me.