Thread: Leslie pedal suggestions

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Leslie pedal suggestions

Hello folks, I am playing a few tunes now that use a leslie effect. What is the best for the money?? As of right now, I think I am leaning twards the H&K Rotosphere. I dig the fast and slow options you get. I wasn't real impressed with the Dunlop Rotovibe, but what about the UniVibe, Captin Coconut, and others? Is anyone a lot better than the others?

Thanks!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Voodoo Labs Univibe-style pedal is suppose to be pretty good. Can't speak from experience though, sorry.

Or you could get the "real deal" and buy a Motion Sound amp.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Rotovibe and I like it for what it does. It's not really a leslie effect as much as phasing/chorusing.

The best leslie simulator I've ever owned was a Dynacord CLS222 leslie simulator rack mounted. David Gilmour uses one in his setup. Unbelievable leslie simulations. You can hear samples at this web site: www.modezero.com

The Rotosphere is pretty good, but I think the Dunlop Univibe covers it better when I demoed one last year.

Steve_R

The rotosphere is the only one of those that I have heard. It sounds pretty amazing really. I have never heard that kind of swirl come out of a pedal.
    My friend has had one for about a year and he still loves it. I'd like to have one myself.

The Duke Of Trades
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Voodoo Lab pedal is a little dry and thin, IMO. The Fulltone Vibe is great, but it's too compressed, IMO. I'd go for the Mojo Vibe myself...http://www.sweetsound.com/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I, myself am leaning towards the Rotosphere. After purchasing my Triamp I realized that Germans really know how to rock. It's a quality product.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much are you willing to drop? I have the univibe and it is pretty good, but make sure you have the speed controller.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

another consideration, although I haven't tried one yet, is the Boss CE-20 Chorus Ensemble - besides the chorus settings, it's supposed to emulate the original CE-1, which can get a pretty good Leslie sound.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like Leslie effects too.

There seem to be 2 types of pedals - the chorus/phasers, and ACTUAL Leslie sims, that do the volume drop/treble drop thing and/or ramp up and down as well. Which are you after? AFAIK the 'Hendrix' style sound - ie the Univibe - uses the former. I got a danelectro chicken salad vibe recetnly which isn't a classic vibe at all, but does the 'univibe' phasey chorus sound pretty well AFAIK, so a lot of 'vibe' pedals are incorrectly named.

Isn't the H&K about the most expensive around? It's about 7 or 800 bucks AUD here. Other cheaper pedals to try out would be the danelectro rocky road, which has wildly ranging reviews on harmony central so I guess you'd have to check it out in person first, it does ramp up & ramp down etc, or the DOD vibrothang, which is supposed to nail the doppler effect but doesn't do the Leslie ramps.
    Last edited by StefanM; 03-24-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can use a chorus/tremelo combination to good effect. Think of your chorus as your top rotor and the tremelo as the bottom.