Thread: Ultimate HSH pickup combination?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ultimate HSH pickup combination?

Seeking the groups opinions...

What pickups would you select to put together the best humbucker - single coil - humbucker setup?

Joel

Ultimate Tone Member Nagarajah725's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ultimate HSH pickup combination?

It really depends on your preferences and style. I have a basswood neck thru superstrat that has a bill lawrence L-500, a full shred neck, and a dimarzio virtual vintage solo in the middle. It's the most versatile combo I tried so far.

Thunder

Neck - Pg

Middle - SSL 5

Bridge - JB

Ultimate Tone Member infrared72's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P-Rails Bridge
    Vintage Rails Middle
    P-Rails Neck

5 way switch,
    two push pull pots to

1. run single or dual coil
    2. select p90 coil or alnico rail

One other cool variation on this config for me would be 59B and 59N with four conductor wiring, only with one coil split push/pull pot for single/double coil mode. P-Rails are pretty much where I'm at currently though - I love these things!

-Peter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P rails also get my vote.
    I have a Strat with an Invader (B), Fender Delta Tone (B pickup in the M), and a 59 (N). Gotta love the warm PAF in the neck and aggressive overwound in the bridge. I only put in a middle pickup because the pickguard I bought was pre-routed.

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for versatility, i'd say 59n, reverse wound 5-2 single, and custom custom. that way, you have vintage warm neck tones, clarity from the single, and a hard rockin' bridge without too much edge.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool... thanks for the responses. The Pearly gates and JB are exactly what I have in my Les Paul. I love them but I definitely wanna try something different.

With the 59n and the Custom Custom, the CC would go in the neck or do I have it backwards?

The P-Rails are super interesting. I think I'm leaning that way but since this guitar is already a study in complexity, I fear it may go too far. But... this thing has the S-1 switch. It's a very busy little switch and I have yet to find a scematic. Anybody got a link? Any thoughts on how to set the P-Railsup with an S-1? I would need at least one other switch, right?

Has anybody used the StagMag?

Joel

Thunder

CC in the Bridge. Could be cool.

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

depends on what kind of style you play, what sound you want and what kind of guitar your playing. I would say one thing for a metal sound than i would a blues sound.
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by joelster View Post
    Cool... thanks for the responses. The Pearly gates and JB are exactly what I have in my Les Paul. I love them but I definitely wanna try something different.

With the 59n and the Custom Custom, the CC would go in the neck or do I have it backwards?

The P-Rails are super interesting. I think I'm leaning that way but since this guitar is already a study in complexity, I fear it may go too far. But... this thing has the S-1 switch. It's a very busy little switch and I have yet to find a scematic. Anybody got a link? Any thoughts on how to set the P-Railsup with an S-1? I would need at least one other switch, right?

Has anybody used the StagMag?

Joel
    backwards, 59n in the neck, custom custom in the bridge. from what i've read, the stagmag is a bit.... out there(?) as far as design and sound. heard a lot of good reviews of p-rails.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK... mebbe this should be a new thread but...

If I've got two P-rails and a single coil (let's just say a five-two RW since I aready have it in this guitar) and a five way switch, all I need is a single DPDT On-Off-On toggle to get full use out of the P-rails. By "full use" I mean HB, Single coil, and P-90 sounds (let's not get into series, parallel and phase just yet). Am I correct???

I can get bridge, bridge + center, bridge + neck, neck + center and neck. This makes 15 possible combinations when you add the three way toggle, right?

Now, this guitar currently has the double stacked five way as well as the S-1 switch. Is there something I could also do utilizing the S-1? I've never been all that into series wiring or phase reversal but with these pups maybe... Or should I just dump the S-1 all together? There's not really a way to use it for coil selection on the P-Rails is there? Not without an additional switch, right? As I understand it, it is a pair of separate On-On dpdt switches ganged together.

Sorry if I'm rambling. The thought of the P-rails is making my head swim...
    Last edited by joelster; 12-08-2008 at 06:55 AM.