Thread: $1500

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default $1500

So I'm gonna have about 15 bills to drop on a real metal axe hear in a few months. If you've followed my drunken rants, you'll know my rents got plowed into by some drunken jackass and they're about to get paid an ass ton of money, and rightfully so. They owe me money and told me they'd pay me once the settlement happened. That's cool with me, cuz I don't need the money, and they're already more than generous.

Anyways, (I should stop using that "word"). I want to buy an awesome axe and I'm at a loss. My carvin dc135t has the perfect neck for me, but LP's have the perfect tone. I'm considering a cs6 with some blackouts, but I dunno. I have a light touch and generally play lighter strings. My LP's are setup with 10's for standard tuning and 13's for drop c. My dc135 needs some 10s with heavy bottoms to pull off a drop c tuning along with the tremol-no. I also have a dc727 that is setup with 11's and I believe a 57 b string, which is way too floppy for my tastes.

So, I'd rather have a 7 string hardtail, but what should I look for? I'd love to have a Loomis HT, but they're really ugly, imo. I dunno what to look for outside the custom build world.

My only hold up here is that I wanna get an awesome amp, but I'm not in a band and I'll be living in an apt with a giant dog. Considering what the breed is, I'd rather keep a low pro, instead of a halfstack that would undoubtedly wake up the kids next door. If I do get a band going, I'll likely get a rehearsal space to jam at, but for now, that's not too likely.
    Last edited by mediumpimpin; 12-08-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: $1500

Quote Originally Posted by mediumpimpin View Post
    So I'm gonna have about 15 bills to drop on a real metal axe hear in a few months. If you've followed my drunken rants, you'll know my rents got plowed into by some drunken jackass and they're about to get paid an ass ton of money, and rightfully so.

Anyways, (I should stop using that "word"). I want to buy an awesome axe and I'm at a loss. My carvin dc135t has the perfect neck for me, but LP's have the perfect tone. I'm considering a cs6 with some blackouts, but I dunno. I have a light touch and generally play lighter strings. My LP's are setup with 10's for standard tuning and 13's for drop c. My dc135 needs some 10s with heavy bottoms to pull off a drop c tuning along with the tremol-no. I also have a dc727 that is setup with 11's and I believe a 57 b string, which is way too floppy for my tastes.

So, I'd rather have a 7 string hardtail, but what should I look for? I'd love to have a Loomis HT, but they're really ugly, imo. I dunno what to look for outside the custom build world.
    honestly try a ibanez prestige just try it!
    How i got the nick name Buckethead. It was Easter Sunday 1984 and my grandmother bought me a Plastic bucket with Easter eggs and candy, to which i promptly dumped all said contents and put the bucket on my head. I am not the musician Buckethead nor do i claim to be.

Ultimate Tone Slacker mediumpimpin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    honestly try a ibanez prestige just try it!
    I considered that, but I cannot get along with Ibanez necks, they're radious and shape don't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarekrough View Post
    If it got any more rock and roll for you there'd be a drug test and credit check, eh?

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

consider a carvin 7 string with a mahogany neck/body with maple top and hartail? or is your carvin 7 already a hardtail?
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you were to get a 6 string I'd check out ESP eclipses. You'll get a very sleek and comfortable neck profile and a tone similar to a Les Paul.

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'm a Jackson fan... try some of their stuff!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Caparison, all the way, from 6 string with 27 frets to a 7 string dellinger. Their necks are fantastic, drop by caparisonforum.com and check out some info. You won't regret it. own a Horus (27 frets) and it's one of the best guitars I've ever played, by far the best necks too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ernie Ball necks seem to be a lot of people's forte. Try em out. The Axis neck specifically.
    Splawn Quickrod
    Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
    Marshall 1960A with Splawn SB speakers
    Mesa Boogie Standard cab with V30's

PRS CE24
    PRS Baritone
    Schecter custom fuzz

The T-Files-ologist Skullkrusher's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW...the Loomis neck is a freaking ball bat, dude. I tried it and hated it.

Kinda felt like playing my buddies five string base. lol

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    If you were to get a 6 string I'd check out ESP eclipses. You'll get a very sleek and comfortable neck profile and a tone similar to a Les Paul.
    I'm going to have to disagree. After owning several of these and numerous Les Pauls I've found they sound nothing alike. They have a similar shape, that's about it (unless you get the old full thickness version, then you're getting there). But I do agree the Eclipse is a killer metal guitar.

The T-Files-ologist Skullkrusher's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Schecter Baritone is pure metal goodness, bro! I've got one and love it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedCarrot View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree. After owning several of these and numerous Les Pauls I've found they sound nothing alike. They have a similar shape, that's about it (unless you get the old full thickness version, then you're getting there). But I do agree the Eclipse is a killer metal guitar.
    I'd say they are similar yet different, but you're right they're not as close as the EC-400AT I used to have. Now that thing had a real thick body and was heavy as hell. But its lack of maple top made for a fuzzier tone when put through high gain.

If you do go with a mahogany guitar Medium I'd suggest something with a real maple cap.

Ultimate Tone Slacker jimijames's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You also know, there are a few small custom shops/luthiers who will build a guitar to your specifications, and $1500 is a lot of wiggle room. One company that comes to mind is Shamray, I think they're located in Russia, but they do top notch work at very reasonable prices. You specify everything from the body shape to the construction, to how many strings (they do 8 string instruments too IIRC), you can even send them a set of duncans to put in once they finish it.

Here's the site if you're interested:
    http://www.shamray.ru/index.php?lang=en

Also, equator custom instruments is part of the forum now as well, from what I can tell they do fantastic work. There's also the guy that did Theguywhoinventedfire's telecaster, but I forget his name...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Jackson
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+2 for Jackson