Thread: Arrg Help Blues JR. Amp Squealing!

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Arrg Help Blues JR. Amp Squealing!

I've been experiencing issues where I get squealing from my blues jr. I thought it was an issue with my Tele but as it turns out its the amp. I've used 4 different guitars with it and its the amp. Some guitars appear to make it worse than others but it is not tolerable.

The amp squeals while I'm playing at band practice levels and is is worse when I am not playing. Even covering the strings with my hand does not curb the squeal totally. It only squeals when using a gain or distortion box in front of it. I am NOT using a lot of gain, typically 12 o'clock on my crunch box and plexitone. I don't have these issues with my fender super with the same setup. The reason for the jr, was to spare my back for practice. The more the amp gets warmed up, the worse it gets.

What could be causing this? could a bad tube do this? The amp is relatively new and I had it retubed recently. At this point I'm almost done with it.

Help!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Arrg Help Blues JR. Amp Squealing!

i'm no amp squeal expert...but i would start with a retube and take it from there...it can't hurt it?!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Keisman Thunderbird, EB VPJr,
    Mr Black Double Chorus, T1M DD-5/T1M Tap, Wampler Faux Tape, Mr Black Eterna Reverb

Ultimate Tone Slacker Low_fidelity2100's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a microphonic tube to me.

To check, plug a guitar into the amp (but vol. on the guitar turned down fairly low) when its on and turned up to band practice volumes...then LIGHTLY tap each preamp tube with a wooden pencil. If tapping one of the pretubes with a pencil causes the squealing to start, or theres just a Loud ringing sound after you tap the tube, you've found your microphonic tube. Replace it and all should be well.

Or you could just try replaceing each preamp tube one at a time, till you find which one makes it stop squealing.

Tubes just go microphonic sometimes. Esspecially with as close to the speaker the tubes are in an amp like the Blues jr.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the help! I'll try this tonight. I'm hoping this is the issue.

Tommyologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yup has to be a tube...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Low_fidelity2100 View Post
    Sounds like a microphonic tube to me.
    yup
    "music heals"
    facebook

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well I checked the pream tubes by tapping a pencil to them lightly and then a little harder and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, is it possible one could still be microphonic? I was thinking about still attempting to change all of them and see if it changed anything.

btw thanks for the help.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you could change all 3, or take a known good tube and replace them one at a time until you isolate the problem
    "music heals"
    facebook

Luckybastidologist bungalowbill's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by marcg71 View Post
    well I checked the pream tubes by tapping a pencil to them lightly and then a little harder and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, is it possible one could still be microphonic? I was thinking about still attempting to change all of them and see if it changed anything.

btw thanks for the help.
    Dime the amp when you check the tubes.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok - just giving an update for anyone else experiencing this issue. I swapped all the preamp tubes out, and it "minimized" the issue. The squeal is not as bad. I believe this is a two part issue, my tele still causes it to squeal the most. all other guitars the squeal is within control now. The tele still is unacceptable, there seems to be a fequency that when the amp gets going there is no way to stop it.

This was actually a long effort in that I thought it was the tele on its own first, I had two sided tape put on the bridge, the pup cavity filled with foam and the pickup wax potted again and the @#$%Qing still squeals.

I think it is mostly the guitar and the amp is what it is because the tubes are so close to the speaker. Plus the tele is what it is, which means I'll probably be getting rid of it, its relatively new with a lil 59 in it but I can't stand the noise. Its too bad cause i do like the guitar.

Thanks for all the help.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Low_fidelity2100's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok - just giving an update for anyone else experiencing this issue. I swapped all the preamp tubes out, and it "minimized" the issue. The squeal is not as bad. I believe this is a two part issue, my tele still causes it to squeal the most. all other guitars the squeal is within control now. The tele still is unacceptable, there seems to be a fequency that when the amp gets going there is no way to stop it.

This was actually a long effort in that I thought it was the tele on its own first, I had two sided tape put on the bridge, the pup cavity filled with foam and the pickup wax potted again and the @#$%Qing still squeals.

I think it is mostly the guitar and the amp is what it is because the tubes are so close to the speaker. Plus the tele is what it is, which means I'll probably be getting rid of it, its relatively new with a lil 59 in it but I can't stand the noise. Its too bad cause i do like the guitar.

Thanks for all the help.
    Even with swapping the tubes it may still be the tubes. Some tubes are micro-phonic straight outta the box. And a tube that works fine with one amp may be micro-phonic in another. Its odd, but it happens.

That said, the tele could definitely be part of the problem. I've got a lil'59 in my MIA tele. It was slightly micro-phonic when I first put the lil'59 in there, I repotted it, put foam in the cavity. Still a little micro-phonic. Then I replaced the height adjustment springs with Rubber medical tubeing...and the micro-phonics when away. So ya could try that.
    I also found that raising the pickup real close to the strings helped lessen micro-phonics, no idea why though.

Have ya tried the tele with a different amp? Is it still micro-phonic with another amp at the same volume? Knowing that might help determine whether the guitar is part of the problem or not. Could just be the combination of the Guitar + amp, amplifying each others weakness'.

If your using a boost/od in front, if the micro-phonics occur more with the boost on, try turning the gain down. It'll help alot. gain at 12 o'clock is still pretty high when running into a cranked amp. Thats deffinatly a likely suspect at making the issue worse/stand out more.

I mean, I've have micro-phonic Cords before. Where just having the amp turned up loud enough cause the Cord to squeal. My uncle told me of a time he didn't have the control plate on his tele screwed down all the way, and it Vibrating caused micro-phonics (or so he says). Strange but true. Could also be the Power tubes, not as likely but possible. Theres so many things it could be.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is your Reverb control set at? Just wondering if the squeal is coming through the reverb circuit. You could try removing the reverb "return" cable from the chassis.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

It only squeals when using a gain or distortion box in front of it. I am NOT using a lot of gain, typically 12 o'clock on my crunch box and plexitone. I don't have these issues with my fender super with the same setup.
    some amps just arent high gain. if you want pedals with no squeel, that is your problem right there. 12 o'clock is prolly too much...you might want to consider a noise gate. I hate the squeel too dude, I know exactly what your dealing with. you get squeel like that on solid state, everything! if you do what ur doing:

high gain pedal with low gain amp = squeel

regular dirt pedal with low gain amp = in the clear, no squeel

thats just how it is, if you get different tubes it may help some but the answer is high gain amp = high gain...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

teles are notorious for squealing, could be the baseplate on the bridge pup or even the bridge itself. does it happen with the neck pup on the tele?

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it could also be your cable, as low fidelity said above. i had that same problem with my monster cable, but it went away when i bought another cable(mogami).
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    I've done this 3 times. I'm on my phone and drunk right now, so if I haven't responded by tomorrow bump this thread and I'll give you my input :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen something similar to this before...if the amp is still under warranty, take it in! If it is not, and you are comfortable poking around inside the amp while it is on, pull the chassis and grab a chopstick.

Coupling capacitors can also become microphonic...and it generally occurs at a specific frequency.

Tap on each of the capacitors with the chopstick. If one is microphonic, you will be able to hear anything from a click to what sounds like a bowling ball in a trash can.

Jerry

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the help. I think to some extent each of you are right.

1). The tele & blues jr & plexitone combined is a recipe for squealing!

2) When I use my Les Paul or PRS it is not really bad at all.

3) I was irritated with the tele & blues jr. BUT - at the end of the day, I'm ok with it because I can use the tele and blues jr. for blues and slide with low gain. I had to remind myself I have different guitars to sound different "why am I trying to get the same sound out of them".

thanks
    Marc

Ultimate Tone Slacker drpietrzak's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pickups in the guitar are probably microphonic.

ya, the pickups have a good deal to do with squeels too...