Thread: TB-11 and TB-APH1 for Soloist SL2H?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default TB-11 and TB-APH1 for Soloist SL2H?

Has anybody run this combination in their SL2h?

I am looking for a less aggressive pickup combination - I prefer to get the goods out of my amp and pedals than out of the guitar. After studying everything online, I was thinking of the Duncan Custom Alnico II tremolo version (TB-11) with an Alnico II Pro Neck (not sure if I need a tremolo version for the neck).

I have the alder body soloist with an ebony fretboard - so I was thinking these two are really good as they are recommended for bright guitars. I think that's an apt description of a soloist, but would love to hear your recommendations here.

Also, do I need the tremolo version for both pickups, or just the bridge position?

Thanks,

Mickey

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TB-11 and TB-APH1 for Soloist SL2H?

I guess everybody else loves the JB/59 combination already in the soloist?

No other recommendations?

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnin_UP View Post
    I guess everybody else loves the JB/59 combination already in the soloist?

No other recommendations?
    you mean the JB/Jazz in the soloist. Yeah love it. Perfect for the Soloist. Just perfect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hehehehe

It's too hot for me dude. I have a box of magnets, and I just put an A2 in the JB, which is better... but it's still too distorted for me. I've also tried cranking the screw poles up.

I just want a pickup that has a good balanced tight but open sound, that's mildly hot. Seventies to early 80s tones. I am not into metal at all.

Maybe a pair of 78's?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hehehehe

It's too hot for me dude. I have a box of magnets, and I just put an A2 in the JB, which is better... but it's still too distorted for me. I've also tried cranking the screw poles up.

I just want a pickup that has a good balanced tight but open sound, that's mildly hot. Seventies to early 80s tones. I am not into metal at all.

Maybe a pair of 78's?
    I don't have a Soloist . . . I have an ash-bodied maple neck Telecaster with dual buckers though . . .

I really dig the Custom Custom in that guitar. . . it's no slouch though - still pretty hot. it would be the next step down from an A2 JB. I don't play metal either, but I like a little compression and moderately hot output from my bridge pups.

if you want PAF tones, the Pearly Gates sound great under medium gain. the unevenly wound coils give a nice bite/edge and they're very open-sounding. that's what I'd go for in the regular production line.

the 78/EVH is great if you're willing to spend Custom Shop $$. had one briefly in an MIJ Strat but sold the guitar (dammit). that would be my pick for custom shop pups. you don't need to get a neck version - get an A2 pup for the neck - Pearly Gates for a little edge, A2Pro for super smooth.

I haven't found the PG or CC to be loose like some people describe A2 pups. the EVH is pretty tight too (not in a ceramic mag chugga chugga heavy metal sort of way though)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    you mean the JB/Jazz in the soloist. Yeah love it. Perfect for the Soloist. Just perfect.
    Missed this before. That's incorrect. The SL2H has a 59 in the neck, not a Jazz.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...uct=2803071803

And for what it's worth - I like the neck pickup - it's just fine.

I'm still hunting for a bridge. Is there something just a wee-bit hotter than the 59? Maybe that's a custom shop piece, or do I take a 59 and put an AlnicoV magnet in it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Missed this before. That's incorrect. The SL2H has a 59 in the neck, not a Jazz.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/produc...uct=2803071803

And for what it's worth - I like the neck pickup - it's just fine.

I'm still hunting for a bridge. Is there something just a wee-bit hotter than the 59? Maybe that's a custom shop piece, or do I take a 59 and put an AlnicoV magnet in it?
    Custom Shop Brobucker would be the way to go.

59 already has an Alnico V mag by the way

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PATB-1n in the neck and PATB-3 in the bridge. Make that Soloist sound like a Lester.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Ultimate Tone Member Quicksilver689's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: TB-11 and TB-APH1 for Soloist SL2H?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    PATB-1n in the neck and PATB-3 in the bridge. Make that Soloist sound like a Lester.

+1000.....this would work very well - the way these pickups are voiced goes along with what you're wanting in tone, and the PATB design spreads the magnetic field out a little too. I highly recommend these PU's. I've used them myself with great results. They also tend to clean up nicely if you like to roll your volume back too.
    Last edited by Quicksilver689; 01-26-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: man I *can't* type today!...

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    +1,000,000

I LOVE those in my soloist!