Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63

Thread: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

  1. #21
    Just A Minion ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,664

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    The engineer did all that stuff in the studio. Live, his tech did all that stuff.

    Multi-tracking is exactly how you get a tight performance down on tape. Live, one-take recordings are much more raw and loose. Going back and redoing your tracks allows you to tighten things up, then layer on more parts and so on.

    In simple terms. Studio magic.

  2. #22
    Saucy Plebe Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    47
    Posts
    26,083
    Likes (Given)
    517
    Likes (Received)
    3364

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invader09 View Post
    Thanks Aceman especially !

    Hey, one more question, - Are you pretty sure the studio version of love gun is multi tracked ? It sounds so tight and together, it seems no way that could be multitracked...

    What pedals did he like to use for studio stuff ?

    And hows he get that delay pedal to sound stereo through a mic'd cab ? I especially love the solo sound on "I Stole Your Love" one of my favorite KISS tracks ever !
    Multi Tracked? No idea, who knows. Tight? a) ever hear of Randy Rhoads? And b) we don't really know if it was Ace playing or doubling.

    What pedals - no idea.

    Stereo? All at the board; Pan right or left with delay added from outboard would be my thought, but there are lots of ways to do it. And they would have had no issues in the studio doing whatever. May have been two amps.

    WHy the total interest in the minutia of the KISS sound? Even we KISS nuts don't ask these questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

  3. #23
    Ultimate Tone Member Invader09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    560
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Just courious. I liked the sound of that album.

  4. #24
    Ultimate Tone Member Darth Nihilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    39
    Posts
    396
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    I was told by Ace himself that the only reason he still remembers what amp he used live
    in the late 70's is because he still has about 8 of them left. He said they were '75 JMP
    Marshall 100w heads with 6550 power tubes. He also said he used to set everything to five, just like Aceman said. That's all I really got to ask him about gear.

    BTW Aceman, I'm the dude formerly known as Frehley!
    Last edited by Darth Nihilus; 02-15-2009 at 02:12 AM.

  5. #25
    Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,500
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Nihilus View Post
    I was told by Ace himself that the only reason he still remembers what amp he used live
    in the late 70's is because he still has about 8 of them left. He said they were '75 JMP
    Marshall 100w heads with 6550 power tubes. He also said he used to set everything to five, just like Aceman said. That's all I really got to ask him about gear.

    BTW Aceman, I'm the dude formerly known as Frehley!
    Cool info, man! Were those amps modded at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

  6. #26
    Toneologist Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    936
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    I went to a kiss show sometime in the late 90s before i bought my wolfgang. they was on tour with Skid Row ( new singer) and ted nugent. I seen marshalls on stage. but when i was buying my guitar at willis music i heard a guy talking about how when kiss was in town, he orderd a 5150 stack from them because he loved the way the guy from skid row sounded and that is what was miced at the show. He said none of the marshalls where on. IDK if its true or not but this thread made me think of that.
    Guitar:
    2 EBMM Axis Super Sports, EBMM Sub1, Peavey Wolfgang
    Amp:
    EVH 5150III 50Watt>Mesa 4X12
    Effects:
    G-System>ISP G-String>ClinchFX EP-PRE>Stinkbug

  7. #27
    Mojo's Minions jmh151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,492
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    90

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I went to a kiss show sometime in the late 90s before i bought my wolfgang. they was on tour with Skid Row ( new singer) and ted nugent. I seen marshalls on stage. but when i was buying my guitar at willis music i heard a guy talking about how when kiss was in town, he orderd a 5150 stack from them because he loved the way the guy from skid row sounded and that is what was miced at the show. He said none of the marshalls where on. IDK if its true or not but this thread made me think of that.
    I saw them live at Jones Beach, New York back then. I've heard that most of those Marshalls seen in the back are empty, just there for show.

    That being said, a Dimarzio Superdistortion in a Les Paul, into a Marshall will nail Ace's live tone. I've done it, it's the easiest tone to nail

  8. #28
    Just A Minion ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,664

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Heck, I read somewhere that the Marshall props seen on stage are cardboard boxes. Fold 'em up and pack 'em away. With all the smoke and pyro during their shows, it's highly possible. It'd be hard to tell even from the front row with all that is going on.

  9. #29
    BrandNewGlossologist Diocletian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    7,053
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Les Paul/ amp/ whisky/ some other guy doing his parts.

  10. #30
    Saucy Plebe Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    47
    Posts
    26,083
    Likes (Given)
    517
    Likes (Received)
    3364

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Update on the effects. Back in the late 70's:
    Echoplex for delay and Moog pedal for Flange

    Also - heard from my guitar dude, that They were using a 5150 with a POD backstage? Maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

  11. #31
    Ultimate Tone Member Darth Nihilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    39
    Posts
    396
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Yes Aceman, Ace did use a 5150 and a POD at different times on the reunion tour and after that.

  12. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    For the record on the Alive II tour on Ace's solo you can hear a change in pitch before he turns on the smoking guitar.

    That is the Mutron-Octave divider, and when the smoke goes on, the echoplex is turned on for that delay.

    I have the mutron octave divider, i love it

  13. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Heck, I read somewhere that the Marshall props seen on stage are cardboard boxes. Fold 'em up and pack 'em away. With all the smoke and pyro during their shows, it's highly possible. It'd be hard to tell even from the front row with all that is going on.

    For the reunion tour, all of those amps were props and were empty.

    I am 95% sure about that

  14. #34
    Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Re the comments about Ace not playing, and overdubs on the Alive album...saw them in Milwaukee, 1975...the live show was basically the first Alive album.

    Ya, I know, it was Jimmy Vaughn behind the Marshall backline on a Line 6...

  15. #35
    Mojo's Minions ksmith63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Believing without blinking
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,177
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    I know nothing about kiss. Can someone please explain Ace not playing? On the record or live or whatever? Was he playing but with someone else overdubbing backstage?
    - KEVIN

    MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

    Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

    Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

  16. #36
    Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI, USA
    Posts
    3,456

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    I've heard that there was overdubbing on some of the Alive albums, which is why I mentioned the 1975 Milwaukee concert. That show was after the first Alive record.

    As far as any live material after that, I don't know, nor do I know anything in terms of some issues raised by earlier comments in this thread.

  17. #37
    Tone Member HighGain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    278
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith63 View Post
    I know nothing about kiss. Can someone please explain Ace not playing? On the record or live or whatever? Was he playing but with someone else overdubbing backstage?
    The way I understand it, significant tension was brewing within the band around the time of Love Gun/Alive II. Ace was already somewhat disgruntled going back to Destroyer because he and the producer, Bob Ezrin, didn't see eye to eye on the strict regimen Bob had, and I believe there was a point where Ace was late or didn't show at all one day, and Ezrin got another guy to do one of the solos. Ace got irate.

    Side 4 of Alive II is comprised of all studio cuts, and the story is, Ace only played on one, Rocket Ride. IIRC, it was Bob Kulick, Bruce's brother, on the other tracks. That's how Bruce came to be in the band later on.

    I've heard all the rumors about Ace not playing live and whatnot, but I've seen KISS 10 times going back to '77, and Ace solo twice. I've never seen any evidence that it wasn't actually Ace and his LP, and I was looking for it. Not saying it never happened, but he was in good form all the times I've seen him.

    His most recent solo tour last year, the show was amazing. He even did the smoking LP bit old school...he actually lit a smoke bomb in the cavity of the LP with a Bic lighter like the very early days. It was great.

  18. #38
    Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Age
    43
    Posts
    18,500
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighGain View Post
    Side 4 of Alive II is comprised of all studio cuts, and the story is, Ace only played on one, Rocket Ride. IIRC, it was Bob Kulick, Bruce's brother, on the other tracks. That's how Bruce came to be in the band later on.
    I've heard rumors that Rick Derringer played on side four of Alive II as well. I've also heard that "Hard Luck Woman" and "Tomorrow and Tonight" on that same album are studio tracks treated with overdubs and effects to make it sound like a continuation of the live stuff.

    Can anyone back up any of this?

    - Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

  19. #39
    Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,862
    Likes (Given)
    65
    Likes (Received)
    67

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    WHy the total interest in the minutia of the KISS sound? Even we KISS nuts don't ask these questions.

    I think KISS produced one of the most definitive and finest LP + Marshall tones ever. Even though I'm not a fan (but I do like many KISS songs) I always loved their sound. I guess, everyone is interested in details when a KISS tone discusson is started.



    SL-X at noon: Interesting. Almost my fav setting: 6 5 5 5 7 6 6.

  20. #40
    Tone Member HighGain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Age
    48
    Posts
    278
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: what did ace frehley use for his live rigs?

    Yeah, forgot about the Rick Derringer thing. I've heard that, too. I've also heard Paul Stanley admit they dubbed crowd noise from a Super Bowl onto the live stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •