Thread: Single-Coils for a David Gilmour type of tone?

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Single-Coils for a David Gilmour type of tone?

What Duncan or DiMarzio single coils can give me the best classic single coil sound? I'm looking for pickups for the neck and middle positions. The general type of single-coil tone that I'm looking for is the Gilmour tones from Pink Floyd's "Shine on Your Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)". I realize that Gilmour sound is generally pretty wet with effects, but I'm more referring to the the clean solo during the first 4 minutes of the song. Its a very classic single coil tone, but its warm and has a decent amount of natural sustain.

The two obvious Duncan candidates would be the SSL1's or the Alnico Pro single coils, but I've recently been very interested in the DiMarzio Area 58', 61', and new '67 single-coils, which are noiseless which is a plus.

What do you guys think?
    early 90's Fender Strat w/ JB Jr. in the bridge position
    Gibson Les Paul fitted with Seth Lovers
    Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 with a Marshall 4x10
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (primarily for solos)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Single-Coils for a David Gilmour type of tone?

I'd imagine any vintage correct Strat pup will do the trick, since that's what he used. Fender '54s have the right tone and feel for the neck and middle spots. The EMG Gilmour set is right out, since he only added that after the classic albums, and keeps returning to old-school Strat pups. Also, Hiwatt amps (singing mids) and a good resonant guitar (the foundation of the tone) are a huge part of the sound, but are often overlooked.
    "I don't like the real world. I have to live there, and it sucks. It's drab, it's dingy, quality control is a f*cking joke, A-cups are far too prevalent, nobody can fly and all the dinosaurs are dead!" -- The Game Overthinker

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    I'd imagine any vintage correct Strat pup will do the trick, since that's what he used.

I realize that it is a vintage type single coil that is needed, but which one do you guys think nails that specifically?
    early 90's Fender Strat w/ JB Jr. in the bridge position
    Gibson Les Paul fitted with Seth Lovers
    Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 with a Marshall 4x10
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (primarily for solos)

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are seveal pickups that will get you there...a set of Fender CS 69's in the neck and middle are a great choice or if you want to go more wiht what David is using now get a CS 69 in the middle and a Fender Fat 50's in the neck...in the bridge if you want post The Wall tones get a Duncan SSL-5 if you want Animals era tones the DiMarzio FS-1 is the ticket but FWIW, I think the SSL-5 sounds much fuller (so does David!)
    Proudly Klon free!

Ultimate Tone Slacker hanumanlangur's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's more about the fuzz/overdrive/amp, effects, and (most importantly) the playing technique. Dave Gilmour has played with plenty of different pickup sets over the years. That having been said, I know that the black Strat has had an SSL-1/SSL-1/SSL-5 set in it, in the past. Something like that would probably be a good and affordable place to start.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Johtosotku's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I immediately think of the SSL1/2 when talking about Gilmour tones. Great pickups, can't really go wrong there, especially for the price they go for.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For modern Gilmour tones i'd recommend the emg dg20 system.

For the classic Gilmour tone i'd recommend the FENDER CS69 or duncans SSL1

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, right now, and for some time the Black Strat has had a set of pickups from a 1972 Strat in the neck and middle positions...stock grey bobbin pickups and since just after the recording if the wall it has had a Custom Shop Duncan which at the time was called SSL-1C but later became the SSL-5 do avoid confusion with a stock SSL-1.

Now, if you want to get closest to that set up a pair of Fender CS69's in the neck and middle and an SSL-5 is the ticket.
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I LOVE Gilmour's tone, and Shine On is one of my favorite songs all time. If you watch the pulse DVD from 1991, he opens with that song, with the red strat. The pickups he uses in that strat is an EMG SA set, available individually or with the prewired pickguard.

I have a set, and it nails the tone.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was searching for Gilmour's tone, I picked up a set of Kinman Woodstocks.

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

TheArchitect

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing122087 View Post
    What Duncan or DiMarzio single coils can give me the best classic single coil sound? I'm looking for pickups for the neck and middle positions. The general type of single-coil tone that I'm looking for is the Gilmour tones from Pink Floyd's "Shine on Your Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)". I realize that Gilmour sound is generally pretty wet with effects, but I'm more referring to the the clean solo during the first 4 minutes of the song. Its a very classic single coil tone, but its warm and has a decent amount of natural sustain.

The two obvious Duncan candidates would be the SSL1's or the Alnico Pro single coils, but I've recently been very interested in the DiMarzio Area 58', 61', and new '67 single-coils, which are noiseless which is a plus.

What do you guys think?
    I think there is no "noiseless" pickup that sounds like a real single coil. I have tried a number of them and they just don't sound right.

The SSL-1's or Alnico II Pros from Duncan or the fender 54's or even the fat 50's pickups are the way to go