Thread: Suggestions for electric 12-string pickups?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Suggestions for electric 12-string pickups?

Hi!

I am hoping some of y'all may be able to provide me with some wisdom. I have an Epiphone Les Paul 12-string into which I am interested in putting some new pickups. The stock ones are...unexciting; the neck pickup is kinda muddy and the bridge pickup is kinda harsh (although in both cases this may be attributable to the fact that it is a 12-string.)

I'm hoping to find a pickup with will help me to achieve a 12-string sound that is clean and (relatively) bright without being harsh, but also has a nice bottom end without being muddy. Based on what I just typed, I'm imagining I am looking for a medium-ish output pickup with a fairly balanced frequency response, but what do I know? The guitar in question would primarily be used for recording clean parts, although I like the idea of "12 string with distortion" to thicken up some recorded parts. Aren't I demanding?

So anyways, I'm looking at putting some new pickups in the thing and I figured I would come here since I have put Duncans in my other Les Pauls and I rather like 'em a lot (although I should add that I'm not adverse to the idea of other brands of pickups.) Specifically, I'm posting this because there seems to be a dearth of information about pickups for electric 12-string guitars. I'm hoping that someone with some experience with these things can provide me with some guidance and help me to answer the following questions:

-First and foremost, is there any notable difference between pickups for 6-string electrics and 12-string electrics? I hunted around online, and I couldn't find much in the way of info on this (other than a PRS guitar that supposedly has "specially designed for 12-string" pickups.)

-Second, anyone have any suggestions for pickups that have worked nicely for them in their 12-string electric? I would love to hear what you have experienced.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for your help. Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

cheers,
    Patrick

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Suggestions for electric 12-string pickups?

First, there is no difference between 6 and 12 string electric guitar pickups.

I don't know that I would install anything but vintage style pickups in to that guitar. Your best clean tones are going to come from something like a set of Seth Lovers or maybe a Pearly Gates set. Stick with alnico II magnets and an 8k wind and you'll be good to go.

If it was my guitar I'd probably go with a set of Antiquities.

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'd say an a2p in the neck and a '59 bridge. you can always swap the magnets if it's not what your looking for, and like robert said something in the 8k range would be great.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great!

Thank you both for the suggestions, they are very helpful.

cheers,
    Patrick