Thread: how do I block a strat tremolo?

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default how do I block a strat tremolo?

Hi,

I've got a Fender MIM bridge in my strat project, but the body is an old squier from my very first guitar, and the springs are a little too long even when screwed in most of the way so I want to block it.

How do I go about doing this?

Also, will i need to ground the tremolo claw and put a spring on it at least 'for show' to ground the bridge?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    I hope your trumpet player is a hot chick 'cuz he's not gonna get any respect if he's not.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: how do I block a strat tremolo?

Most block the trem by putting 5 springs on the trem and tighten it down. Then installed a block of wood behind the trem, between the trem block and the body. This block should be shape to match the trem cavity and fit snug. You want to do this while the guitar is in tune. At this point some will loosen the spring a little. The block will stop the trem from moving.
    Yes you will still need to ground the claw and have springs installed.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see what you're saying --- the springs are too long to be under tension.

Basically, you have to get a block of your favorite hardwood and cut it and sand it to fit your space exactly. I have never used a block of wood, but I hear that is the best way.

I blocked a Wilkinson trem block with a spark plug socket wrench, and it sounded really great to me, so maybe it's any very hard or dense material that gives you the connectivity and energy transfer that is necessary for success.

You could simply solder a wire from your block to your claw, if you don't want a spring flopping around (since you mentioned the springs are too long to come under tension)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't like the steeper saddle angle with a 2-point bridge lying flat. I had a tech set the trem parallel with the body (about 1/8" above the body - Fender recommended height) and put one wood block on each side of the trem. One spring was kept to ground the bridge but it's 100% solid by itself. I have a Callaham block so it's not too difficult - some of the Am STD and DLX blocks are angled and require some fitting (i.e., you have to have wedges cut instead of rectangles).

this is what I had done (not an actual photo of my Strat - mine's prettier )

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the springs do come under tension, but not along to bring the bridge near flush with the body. I NEVER use a tremolo, so I will be blocking it. Does the wood matter?

I'm not blocking it to change the sound, rather to eliminate any tuning issues/complications a tremolo held solely with springs might bring.
    I hope your trumpet player is a hot chick 'cuz he's not gonna get any respect if he's not.

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bump

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtLikeFire View Post
    I don't like the steeper saddle angle with a 2-point bridge lying flat. I had a tech set the trem parallel with the body (about 1/8" above the body - Fender recommended height) and put one wood block on each side of the trem. One spring was kept to ground the bridge but it's 100% solid by itself. I have a Callaham block so it's not too difficult - some of the Am STD and DLX blocks are angled and require some fitting (i.e., you have to have wedges cut instead of rectangles).

this is what I had done (not an actual photo of my Strat - mine's prettier )

holy crap look at all that frickin' paint in the cavity
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmarshall View Post
    I've done this 3 times. I'm on my phone and drunk right now, so if I haven't responded by tomorrow bump this thread and I'll give you my input :-)

Support Code 211 When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by super rad ska View Post
    holy crap look at all that frickin' paint in the cavity
    Wow! Pure tone killer having all that poly paint in there (And most likely elsewhere)
    Support Code 211

When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ive got a 2000ish poplar MIM strat, and it was a second, i think because the paint is so thick the trem springs hit the body, it sounds interesting coming thru the amp...

but anyways, that guitar sounds really nice, 1/2" of paint or not

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
    the springs do come under tension, but not along to bring the bridge near flush with the body. I NEVER use a tremolo, so I will be blocking it. Does the wood matter?

I'm not blocking it to change the sound, rather to eliminate any tuning issues/complications a tremolo held solely with springs might bring.
    use wood that is nice and dry and was intended for musical instruments - pieces of maple, alder, mahogany etc. using any old scrap from a local lumber yard might not be the best idea when trying to preserve your tone.

if you block both sides, you'll have the equivalent of a hardtail in tuning stability and feel.