Default Re: Jb?

I think we found out what you do not like
    Not gonna miss you know!
    Information is not knowledge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

metlking. haha

I tell you what tho.. the Jonas boys have some nice gibsons....The one kid has a black explorer with a mirror pickguard like mine.. I think they only made those one year..

Skaforlifeologist super rad stuff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    I tell you what tho.. the Jonas boys have some nice gibsons....The one kid has a black explorer with a mirror pickguard like mine.. I think they only made those one year..
    so they have good taste in stuff then can't use?
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

would the JB be good for harder stuff like W.A.S.P. and Motley Crue too? or would that be more along the lines of the duncan distortion? i have one of those lying around my room some where.....
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you've got a DD laying around, and possibly an a5 too, why don't you try that in your kramer first? that'd give you the basic gist of what the jb would be like in there.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NOPE! ;] NO JB....seriously man....for stuff like that.....go with a GFS VEH eddie van halen tribute pickup for 30 some dollars....I just put one in my 1983 kramer focus 6000.....it is perfect for all that crappy metal we love so much ;]

it sounds much better than the bottom end robbing-fizzy top end havin' JB that was there before it.
    Dude...you suck at guitar...lol

Mojo's Minions Christopher Caruana's Avatar
    the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjackf1ash View Post
    NOPE! ;] NO JB....seriously man....for stuff like that.....go with a GFS VEH eddie van halen tribute pickup for 30 some dollars....I just put one in my 1983 kramer focus 6000.....it is perfect for all that crappy metal we love so much ;]

it sounds much better than the bottom end robbing-fizzy top end havin' JB that was there before it.
    a ordered that pickup when it first came out. Its just been sitting in the box in room next to me DD.
    2013 EVH Wolfgang USA HT
    1989 PRS custom 24 10 top
    1986 Laney AOR "Pro Tube" 100MV
    Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
    Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_Abuser View Post
    I'm not into this kind of playing, just a matter of preference. I'm into shred/prog/80's not into blues, classic rock or such. So no, I'm not kidding, but there is nothing wrong in liking Jeff Beck, I just don't care personally for him.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with liking or not liking Jeff, but your post reeked of willful closed mindedness. Not to mention he's one of the biggest Marshall ambassadors...

Jeff was the first instrumental guitarist. I don't own a single album of his but I know his songs, and I know what he did for guitar. Remember that a musician, like a historian, should know where he's been so he can determine where he's going.

Luke
    I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.

-FDR

Thunder

The JB will cover most 80's stuff! So many used them. GNR-AII Pro.

Ultimate Tone Slacker hanumanlangur's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew this story, but does JB stand for Jazz/Blues or not?
    It was changed from Jeff Beck to Jazz/Blues, as you wrote, so the official name is Jazz/Blues. I don't even know or even care who Jeff Beck is. Not my thing at all.

About Jackson using JBs, I know that also and I think it's a pity they use such a generic pickup in all their models. They certainly have a discount when buying heaps of sets from Seymour and I treat those Duncans as "stock pickups" which means I swap them ASAP. Jackson keeps putting JB in those because "that's the world's most popular humbucker" not because they think it sounds good. Jackson should select their Duncan pickups according to the model, not according to the popularity of the pickup. In the late 90's they had a model with a Screamin Demon, and now they have the Warrior with a Full Shred neck and Invader bridge. Now THAT'S a pickup choice, not your generic "I'm gonna swap it" JB thing.

Add to this the fact that most people buying high-end Jacksons will change the stock Duncans (at least the JB) makes it clear that they just put these in for the "name". "Hey dude, it's got a Duncan JB in it, and everyone says the JB is good". Fact is that the JB is NOT for everyone and that no menufacturer can please everyone with their choice of pickups. But to imply that Jackson use the JB because it's 80's and it has good tone is a stretch. I swapped the one in my Jackson after 1 hour of playing and I play 80's rock/metal/shred.

Same goes with Dimarzio and Ibanez, once upon a time, they used to put Tone-Zones in everything and many diagreed and preferred another Dimarzio.

It all comes down that I disagree with your causal relationship between "Jackson and Charvel and X manufacturer uses the JB and they make shred guitars so the JB is a shred pickup" I don't buy that. Manufacturers put whatever Duncans they can have cheap and will help them selll guitars.
    The official name is not the Jazz/Blues pickup. The official name is the JB model, and always has been. The official "explanation" given now is that it stands for Jazz/Blues, and that's just because because they couldn't use Jeff Beck's name. You trying to say that it's a Jazz/Blues pickup is like trying to argue that the Jazz neck is a pickup made for Jazz, or that the EVH/'78 was simply made for evenly-voiced harmonics and not Eddie Van Halen.

As for the JB being "generic", that's very far from the truth. It has a very unique wind that produces an EQ unlike any other Duncan or Dimarzio. No other pickup has even its basic EQ curve, so I'm not sure what could be said to be generic about it. It's like someone trying to say that the Pearly Gates is a generic PAF remake or something.

When Jackson, Charvel, Kramer, ESP, and others started putting the JB in their guitars, it was because it had already become extremely popular with guitarists. Today the JB is inseparably tied with their success. Many of the most popular hard rock and metal tones of the 80's were made with the JB as well, and so the JB is inseparably tied with their success too.

You may not like the JB, but that's just your own preference, and you're just showing your own naiveté by talking up 80's hard rock and metal while bashing its most popular pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rid View Post
    ...hehe just another new overly oppinionated I wanna be right all the time member....
    We swim in those lately...

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I meant generic as in "everyone plays a JB".
    The JBs are so widespread it's not even funny.
    The fact that Jackson keeps putting this pickup in their guitars increases their widespreadness even more.
    Hence, the tone becomes generic because nearly everyone uses JBs.

In the 80's DISCERNING players used something else than the JB, because they knew the JB would give them "everyone else's tone"

For example:

George Lynch used a Distortion because he knew the JB was not up to his standards and Lynch KNOWS his stuff I could say the same with Reb Beach who used an EMG-89, same with Aldrich in the 80's who used the Full Shred, same with Vito Bratta who used Customs and then EMGs. And then add Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai...those guys never used JBs and ARE quintessential 80's. I could go on with John Petrucci (late 80's and early 90's using PAF-Pros, Tone-Zones and HFH), Andy timmons (using Dimarzio Double Whammy). Other examples? Mike Slamer used a Dimarzio PAF on the Warrant records, John Norum used Dimarzios, Jason Becker used the Custom, Bruce Bouillet used the Full Shred,

Indeed, the only 80's players I know that used the JB are Warren DeMartini and I can't say I liked his tone much, though his playing was acceptable, and Marty Friedman, who started using JBs JUST BECAUSE they came stock in his Jackson guitars. He was using Carvin stock pickups before and didn't care for the JB before getting a deal with Jackson.

How can you say most players used the JB in the 80's? Got any serious (as in good) players using the JB in the 80's besides Marty and Warren ? Early 90's were full of "poor" (IMO) players using the JB, Kurt Cobain, Jerry Cantrell, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hanumanlangur View Post
    T
    As for the JB being "generic", that's very far from the truth. It has a very unique wind that produces an EQ unlike any other Duncan or Dimarzio. No other pickup has even its basic EQ curve, so I'm not sure what could be said to be generic about it. It's like someone trying to say that the Pearly Gates is a generic PAF remake or something.

You may not like the JB, but that's just your own preference, and you're just showing your own naiveté by talking up 80's hard rock and metal while bashing its most popular pickup.

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else tired of this?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hey marshall abuser, can you give it a rest and leave it at "i like only a few things(andy timmonds and select 80s stuff) and don't really give a crap what you like"? we get it
    Last edited by super rad stuff; 02-25-2009 at 01:35 AM.
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got any serious (as in good) players using the JB in the 80's besides Marty and Warren ?
    Mick Mars, Ritchie Sambora, the guys in Testament, Phil Campbell, John Sykes, Gary Moore, CC deVille, Craig Goldy, Lita Ford, Paul Dean, Steve Stevens, Jake E. Lee, Alan Holdsworth and Jeff laBar. Please notice that these are the people I've been able to positivel confirm used them, either from the endorsement database here at SD, or other reliable sources. In many cases, the pickups used aren't known, so if I listened to forum apocrypha, the list could probably be a helluvalot longer.

Oh, and George Lynch DID use it at times. I would presume there are much more JB on the old Dokken records than we know about. Vito's early tones were indeed from a PAF (I don't think he ever used Customs?), but with a Tube Screamer juicing it up so that you are basically left with a JB (or, at least, that's the humbucker that's easiest to use to replicate that sound).

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bad, I left out Jake E. Lee, which I've known used the JB. I knew there was a third one lol !

Did Ritchie Sambora ever use the JB in the 80's ? I thought he was a die-hard PAF-Pro user ? What's your source on that? On which records (from Bon Jovi) can a JB be heard ?

John Sykes used a JB on Whitesnake records? I thought he was a die-hard stock Gibson fan ? Any Whitesnake albums that feature the JB?

Thanks for clearing this up for my own knowledge base.

About the other players in your list..they are not what I would consider "serious" players, besides Holdsworth, who used his own signature pickup (a modded JB) and not the JB itself. And then again, Holdsworth is not very 80's shred/rock to me.

I just thought of Frank Gambale who used the JB recently, but was using Dimarzios in the 80's. That doesn't make the JB an 80's pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    Mick Mars, Ritchie Sambora, the guys in Testament, Phil Campbell, John Sykes, Gary Moore, CC deVille, Craig Goldy, Lita Ford, Paul Dean, Steve Stevens, Jake E. Lee, Alan Holdsworth and Jeff laBar. Please notice that these are the people I've been able to positivel confirm used them, either from the endorsement database here at SD, or other reliable sources. In many cases, the pickups used aren't known, so if I listened to forum apocrypha, the list could probably be a helluvalot longer.

Oh, and George Lynch DID use it at times. I would presume there are much more JB on the old Dokken records than we know about. Vito's early tones were indeed from a PAF (I don't think he ever used Customs?), but with a Tube Screamer juicing it up so that you are basically left with a JB (or, at least, that's the humbucker that's easiest to use to replicate that sound).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bad, I left out Jake E. Lee, which I've known used the JB. I knew there was a third one lol !

Did Ritchie Sambora ever use the JB in the 80's ? I thought he was a die-hard PAF-Pro user ? What's your source on that? On which records (from Bon Jovi) can a JB be heard ?

John Sykes used a JB on Whitesnake records? I thought he was a die-hard stock Gibson fan ? Any Whitesnake albums that feature the JB?

Thanks for clearing this up for my own knowledge base.

About the other players in your list..they are not what I would consider "serious" players, besides Holdsworth, who used his own signature pickup (a modded JB) and not the JB itself. And then again, Holdsworth is not very 80's shred/rock to me.

I just thought of Frank Gambale who used the JB recently, but was using Dimarzios in the 80's. That doesn't make the JB an 80's pickup.
    Regarding Sykes, you'll need to ask our own Sykes resident expert Axl_H. He used a Dirty Fingers humbucker in his Les Paul, but there are some tracks on 1987 where you can hear some whammy work, which supposedly was done on a Charvel with a JB in it.

Regarding Sambora, I'm sorry, I may be wrong about that one. It may be naivity on my part, but his 80s signature guitar featured TWO JBs. That's no guarantee that he used them, but on the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense to have it on a signature guitar otherwise. I doubt that he was using something that was to costly to have put in a signature guitar.

And, I read your point, there's more to the 80s than the JB. I agree and appreciate that. But, still? Isn't Gary Moore a serious player? Not Craig Goldy either? I could go on to claim that quite a few of the others on the list is underrated as guitarists, but that's a whole different debate there's no need to take here.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Caruana View Post
    would the JB be good for harder stuff like W.A.S.P. and Motley Crue too? or would that be more along the lines of the duncan distortion? i have one of those lying around my room some where.....
    If you are looking for the Crue sound, Mick Mars used 59's in his Barettas. Don't forget to tune down 1 whole step and slap on a set of .013-.060's.

For most wasp stuff, a JB would work,or an Ibanez Super 70. Chris Holmes recorded a lot of stuff with his Destroyer. The same one he let EVH borrow for the Women and Children First album.

Man, I'm out for a few hours and sphincter boy is still rockin' that same old cowbell.
    Every thread, same response. Why bother when we can copy and paste to get your response.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Early 90's were full of "poor" (IMO) players using the JB, Kurt Cobain, Jerry Cantrell, etc.

Bye bye credibility.

I think all we agree on is that the double whammy is a great pickup for 80s metal. But it's nothing but mids, there's little highend and ABSOLUTELY NO BASS AT ALL. To hell with ever getting palm mutes to sound right, or getting any cab thump because it's not going to happen.

Listen to vinnie moore's mind's eye album for the perfect representation of the double whammy.

As for the JB, the only artist who really got a tone out of it that I liked was Jake E Lee. Every other time I hear a JB used for any sort of lead work I cringe.
    Last edited by Mephis; 02-25-2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xxxplorer View Post
    Anyone else tired of this?
    Yes I'm wondering how a guy in Canada can be an expert on anything other then Rush rather then shred guitarists from L.A.

Come on lets here your thoughts on Alex Lifeson. I know he sounded really good on the 30th Anniversary tours using Hughes & Kettner Amps.