Thread: First impressions of the Alt 8

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default First impressions of the Alt 8

I just dropped an Alt 8 into my 1993 Washburn USA MG 104. It replaces the factory DD that came in this one.
    First impressions are positive. This one is fat and smooth with great clarity and a singing solo voice. It really warmed this guitar up from having the DD. Cleans up nicely with the volume and has a good tight bottom end CHUNK to it. So far I likie!!
    I will play it out tomorrow morning at Church along with my 95 MG 122 with a Custom 8. I will check in afterwards and let you know how it stacks up.

supernosher

Default Re: First impressions of the Alt 8

sounds cool... I want one for the neck spot!

theodie

Yes, I just tried mine. Nice bottom, plenty of tightness, and beefy. The clarity is flat out stupid with this pickup! I bet it would be cool de-tuned. It would sound huge, tight, and clear as a bell!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by supernosher View Post
    sounds cool... I want one for the neck spot!
    Don't even think about it! the string pull from the A8 mag would not like the neck slot! I had to back mine down this morning as I was getting a wooly tone lost sustain and caught a lot of wierd overtones. My guess is this pickup would be a disaster in the neck slot.
    That said I really liked the tones I got this morning with the Alt 8 in the bridge. After I backed it down a little it cleared up and really came to life. Crisp on the top but not shrill tight and thick on the bottom and not muddy with a KILLER singing solo tone!
    I will say the Alt 8 seems to need more space from the strings to sound right than the other A-8 pickups I have tried ( Crazy 8, JB-8 Norton 8 and a Pearly Gates 8).
    I am just now listening to the recordings of this mornings services and will try to drop out a couple clips later today.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a quick clip from this morning. I was playing through my Prosonic combo and the pickup is now in the guitar on the far left in my Avatar http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7428092