Thread: Stratocaster vs Telecaster, SG vs Les Paul

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Stratocaster vs Telecaster, SG vs Les Paul

Guys

Which do you prefer ?

keep it respectful ok,

answer the following questions

1) Stratocaster or Telecaster...... Why ???

2) SG or Les Paul........... Why ???

3) Les Paul or PRS, both humbucker guitars............ Why ?????

Just keep it respectful ok,
    Last edited by bryan the rocker; 03-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker James Rock's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Stratocaster vs Telecaster, SG vs Les Paul

1) Telecasters I guess cos I've got three in my house but if I had to buy a new guitar it would be a strat (the tele's aren't mine but thats all I play and like them better then starts ... i think)

2) Not sure les pauls look better and are on so many classic albums I love that said Im a big tony iommi fan especially of his tone and sg's are lighter and maybe easier to play for me.

3) Gibson over PRS at least from what I've heard haven't played a PRS but noone with tone I admire plays a PRS.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strat v Tele.
    Although not Fender, I prefered my Legacy over my old ASAT. The real problem I now realise was the slab body of the ASAT, it was great palying seated but once I stood up the lack of body contours made it uncomfortable. The legacy is very comfy, nice and light and feels better than 99% of the Fenders I've owned or played.

* Note. My answer to the Tele problem was a Tele type with contours which is superb. It's neither a Tele or a Strat but for me it's the best of both worlds and can replace 2 guitars.*

SG v LP.
    I have to say LP but only 'coz I've not yet owned an SG.... but as Angus was my teen hero I will get a nice SG in the next couple of years.

PRS.
    I love the look of some PRS's, but I have honestly played probably about 50 - 60 at shows and in stores and I haven't found THE one. I've played most of the models except for private stock I think and none felt better than either of my LP's although they do without doubt look to have had far more care taken in the build/ finish.

Rob option!

Yamaha SG.
    Awesome guitars... yes they are heavy but just a few weeks ago I found that my mates custom is heavier! The strap button behind the heel of the neck takes some getting used to but at least the guitar is balanced and doesn't feel neck heavy. IMO the build/ finish is up there with the best... I love mine and although some think it's a bling thing, I think it's a classy guitar. Sound wise it is different to a LP, but I think it's a good thing 'coz it has it's own character.

In short I guess I'm an LP player, they just fit right, whether that's because I've always had them and it's what I grew up with I don't know. Over the years I've tried to play Strats... I love the look and sound of them, but they're not me. The Yam SG is just superb.... it would take a d@mn fine guitar to better them.
    Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    You've been hit by, you've been struck by....... Simon the Moderator

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) Strat: I don't like the look or tones of teles, but strats are comfortable and play great. I'd have a humbucker or mini-hum in the bridge and stacks in the middle and neck, though.

2) SG: I like LPs, but SGs are a bit more comfortable, and I haven't found an LP with a neck I really like.

3) I haven't played a PRS, but I really want to!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bryan the rocker View Post
    Just keep it respectful ok,
    Oh, so now we have to keep it respectful, on top of everything else? Man!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Between an LP & SG, I can't choose. Both are excellent designs. Life is not complete without both.

The only Strat I like is the limited edition one for Jaguar cars (only 25 made): British racing green, gold hardware, rosewood pickguard. Gorgeous. There's no Tele that has anywhere near this much class.

Varg Pradoon Enčilakiip Pink Unicorn Horsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Oh, so now we have to keep it respectful, on top of everything else? Man!
    My guess for you: Neither Strat nor Tele, SG over LP, and LP over PRS. How'd I do?

- Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    I am just jug the merlot

Support Code 211 When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never liked telecasters

Have a $hit load of Stratocasters and G&L Legacy Specials.

Have several Les Pauls

Have Gibson and Epiphone ES 335s, Gibson ES 339, and a cheap Japanese Les Paul copy that looks and plays better than Gibsons (It even copies the logo)

Have a SG (The one with the three pups)

Don't care for PRS's - remind me of my ex-old lady.

Oh yea, have a Warmoth strat copy
    Last edited by Stratman; 03-15-2009 at 04:58 AM.
    Support Code 211

When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets! 81 - 1% all the way!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Mark Cearlock's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 2 teles, and one on the way. That being said, I would like to have a strat, SG and les paul. So for me , There really is no "vs". I just really love electric guitars!
    2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's tribute
    Fender Mustang 3
    Bugera v5
    Fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strat VS Tele = Tele wins, because I can drop a neck humbucker, and a hotraisl in the bridge, and make it sound like one the most intense guitar ever.

Les Paul VS SG = If I could find one I liked, I would probably go with a 61 RI SG. They just seem to work. A bit expensive though.

Gibson VS PRS = PRS any day. Better construction, better guitars, better everything as far as I am concerned. I see no reason to buy a gibson with a PRS single cut in the same price range.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strat vs. Tele: I have both and don't really care for either. If I had to pick, I'd go for my Charvel Super Strat.

LP vs. SG: Gotta go with a Les Paul as an SG just doesn't have the same tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) Stratocaster or Telecaster...... Why ???
    My Telecaster career doesn't go so well. I like the body shape with no contours (much) better and I like the ballsier bridge pickup (which might or might not be partially caused by the Tele bridge).

But Stratocasters with vintage class pickups through a proper rig produce some of of my favorite sounds.

I think overall I rather take a thinner tone with more sustain to play with than the string-through body twang.

Tele neck pickup is useless.

I should probably do what Blackmore once did, which is a Tele with trem and Strat pickups, and then beef up the bridge pickup with the baseplate and possibly other load iron around it.

2) SG or Les Paul........... Why ???
    I love the neck pickup on a good SG and I always struggle with the neck pickup in Les Pauls.

But the kick out of the bridge pickup of a Les Paul is just very hard to beat with anything.

I also don't like that with the guitars hanging on a strap naturally and/or on your right leg the SG fretboard is slightly offset to the left (compared to LP, Strat, Tele, Superstrat). For slow learners like me that's a problem.

3) Les Paul or PRS, both humbucker guitars............ Why ?????
    Nah. I had this vivid memory of a great PRS I played in the 1980ties, but it didn't survive actually owning one (McCarty). No character. Stupid controls. Stupid bridge. Sounded very nice in general (better than a Gibson LP I owned at the same time) but not totally even over the fretboard, which I understand is a common PRS problem. Cheap nut, not sure about the poly finish.

Having said that, the wide/fat neck profile with normal PRS fretboard radius and frets is the one best playing neck I know.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies,

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) Telecasters hand down, I find them much more versatile, even with their standard pickup configurations, and their tone is much more aggressive and snappy. Plus, they look amazing, and just feel really great.

2) Les Paul. I like their looks a lot better, and I much prefer single cuts over double cuts. Plus, I like my guitar bodies fairly thick and heavy, and the les paul delivers. Even though I don't own one, I want to own one some day.

3) Never played a PRS, so I can't really say. In terms of looks I prefer a Les Paul.
    You can run over a Tele with a pickup truck, pick it up - and it'll still play out of tune

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets
    that's a good question. usually when i'm stuffing something in an F-hole it causes MORE squealing...
    Quote Originally Posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
    I will be happy when you can email poop. I have my list of recipients...

That's me in the corner - that's me in the spotlight, losing my religion.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1st place: LP

2nd place: SG

3rd place: ES335

4th place: Strat

There is no "right" answer. It all depends on the tone and the player. Thank god we all have different tastes, otherwise we'd all be listening to the Bee Gees.
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Telecaster.

My Thinline can sound like any of the other guitars with only two singles and the proper wiring. None of the others can say they sound like a Tele.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Telecaster: No need for a trem. Thicker tone. Just put a Strat neck pickup in there.

SG: Its just an improved Les Paul anyways right?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) Strat, more things to do that I like doing. A Tele is great for certain things, however none of them interest me.

2) I guess an LP-type guitar since there's not much an SG can do that I couldn't come close with a Strat-type guitar (with a bucker at least at the bridge obviously) while certain sounds can only be had with an LP(-ish) guitar. Still, I wouldn't really go for vintage correctness here since there are A LOT of things I REALLY don't like about the original LP design (particularly the neck joint).

3)By PRS I take it you mean sth with 25" scale and being an amalgam of a Fender and a Gibson.
    Actually it depends on the specifics. If it sounds the way I want it and corrects the things I dislike about the LP then I already gave you the answer above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1) Both, I can't choose between a strat and a tele.

2) Neither. I've owned some great LP-style guitars and have never been able to bond with them. I'm an "F" style guy through and through. Plus I think SGs are ugly as sin.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Strats, 'Pauls, and 'Reeds, oh my!