Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Best Bass Practice Amp

Title says it all.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    yea, they [ Fender Bassman] do sound like a mess, don't they. It's like a blind date with a shaggy hippy girl with a poochy belly, but then you get a hot oil massage from her and all of a sudden you're doing tantric prayer all night and asking her to move in with you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Best Bass Practice Amp

Well what kind of price range are you looking at? Something heavy or lighter? Entry level or pro? How customizable do you want you sound? Basically, considering the lack of specifics, I would go ahead and say something like a small 20W to 60W combo amp is more than ample for practice. Assuming your playing alone, anything more would be lost I think. I personally started off with the Peavey 110Max 20W combo amp and honestly, for the price (CA 150-200$ I think), I couldn't ask for more. It's nice and light, which is awesome for carrying it from the computer to your basement to your room to wherever and for its size is definitely holds its own. Peavey definitely have some pretty nice entry level practice combos. Roland also have some decent little combos for very nice prices, also might be worth checking out. Finally, I would have to say your token practice amp will probably be the Line 6 Lowdown series, these guys have decent little pieces with all sorts of crazy EQ settings and qwirks like that, also worth a checkout. Here are the sites for these series' of amps. Hope this helps!!

Peavey: http://www.peavey.com/products/brows.../MAXSeries.cfm

Roland: http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...px?ParentId=58

Line 6: http://line6.com/lowdown/

J
    Don't let the bottom drop...

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    In extreme cases though, herbs and talking to imaginary friends don't always cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashayritto View Post
    Bass Bear understands the square piece in a round hole dilemma more than anyone

Mojo's Minions Petrovsk Mizinski's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Roland Cube bass is not a bad piece of kit for the price.
    My mate has one (the 100 watt model), it's definitely very decent and holds up for band rehearsal type situations, although maybe not gigs though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you can afford it go for a used mesa walkabout scout.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

on a similar note, is it possible to blow the speaker in one of those really small bass combos, or are they generally rated so they can handle being cranked with a bass?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith63 View Post
    I don't think a 1200$ amp really counts as practice.

I say check out the peavey. For practice, they make a great bang for buck product.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    I don't think a 1200$ amp really counts as practice.

I say check out the peavey. For practice, they make a great bang for buck product.

The OP didn't really specify price he was looking at or size of his other rig. The 12" walkabout can be found on the used market for much less than $1200 and is very portable. Its still gonna be 2x as expensive as anything else mentioned here but will sound 10x as good....also it can handle most sized gigs.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven® of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[web-wheelin]

I have been hearing great things about the Acoustic bass amplifiers recently on TGP, and those folks have a pretty heavy slant towards expensive gear.

They are cheap and apparently awesome

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith63 View Post

The OP didn't really specify price he was looking at or size of his other rig. The 12" walkabout can be found on the used market for much less than $1200 and is very portable. Its still gonna be 2x as expensive as anything else mentioned here but will sound 10x as good....also it can handle most sized gigs.
    Point well taken. Don't get me wrong, I love mesa, but I still don't consider the scout to be practice amp as much as a small gig amp. If you have the coin though, by all means, check them out.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't really have a price limit in mind because I didn't know what I was looking for and I didn't want to miss something good but just above the price I set.

To be a more specific, I am looking for something I can just plug into for bedroom use. I don't gig out anymore and when I do recordings it is always done direct.

I just want something that sounds decent I can plug into without having to start up my computer.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far I will look into those.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    yea, they [ Fender Bassman] do sound like a mess, don't they. It's like a blind date with a shaggy hippy girl with a poochy belly, but then you get a hot oil massage from her and all of a sudden you're doing tantric prayer all night and asking her to move in with you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a couple years ago I bought a cheap 5 string bass for recording, I wanted a little amp for practice, I went to some local stores looking for a little combo in the $200 range
    I used a 5string bass and went thru the store, and most I tried would fart out on the low B string this included the Roland Cube, SWR,Peavey, they all had 10" speakers if i remember right
    then I tried a Ibanez Soundwave65 it has a 12" speaker and is very clean and punchy
    perfect for the prog stuff I was doing at the time, the amp has a built in limiter and wont distort on its own. I highly recomend it if your looking in that price range just to plunk on and you dont wanna hear a speaker being destroyed

When the going gets tough And the stomach acids flow
    The cold wind of conformity Is nipping at your nose
    When some trendy new atrocity Has brought you to your knees
    Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got my kid a used Fender Rumble 25. It sounds pretty good to me, and it seems to be fairly indestructible. Carpet covering, steel grill. The knobs are actual metal. Separate inputs for passive and active basses, plus line in's for an MP3 player. It was cheap on eBay, and worth more than I paid.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun