Thread: Parallel Axis pickups compendium!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Parallel Axis pickups compendium!

After recently buying and installing my PATB-1b-7 and loving it with passion, I thought it might be a good idea to create a sort of compendium for Parallel Axis pickups. For example, listing the rigs that people have had success adding these pickups to or which of the three bridge versions (PATB-1b, PATB-3 or Crazy 8) is best suited to stylistically.

On a personal note, who's tried the PASTK-1 or PATB-1n? What are your opinions?
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Arthur O'Shaughnessy (from Ode)

"The Seymour Duncan Emo: a pickup for those who like to cut through the mix and cut through their wrists!" - ratherdashing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Parallel Axis pickups compendium!

Cool, I'm in.

PATB-3

Amps: Rivera R100, GT-8 into Powerblock and a v30/12L sealed cab.

Styles: Country, blues, pop, rock, hard rock, metal, nu metal.

Guitars: Epi LP, Carvin DC127-T, Fender HM strat.

This pickup works wonderfully well in everything I've thrown it in. It works as advertised. It makes anything it's in sound like a Gibson. When it was in the Epi, it was basically a fat, loud PAF tone with a clear and clean low end and a slightly compressed treble range (definately sang when playing lead). Split tones could be better, but overall, it does what it's designed to do very well.

As far as the PATB-1n, I have that in the all maple Carvin paired with a PATB-3. That guitar is one of my faves for jazzy fingerstyle playing. On the neck, it has a deep, tight low end, present highs, and a nice bark to the mids when you dig in but it's nice and mellow when you back off. It does have a wide frequency response and it responds very well to pick attack and to tone knob manipulation.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting!
    You and Theodie are, from what I've read, the Parallel Axis experts so to speak.

Pickup: PATB-1b-7
    Guitar its in: self-made 7 string with an alder body/bubinga top, 5-piece bubinga/maple neck with ebony fretboard. Deep bolt-on, 24 frets, Hipshot trem.
    Amp its played through: Carvin V3 (re-tubed with Tung-sol 12AX7s and JJ KT77s).
    Styles that are played: Progressive metal, Death metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Rock, Rock, Texas Blues, Funk.

This pickup alone covers a great deal of territory sonically. Its very full sounding but still rather articulate. I'm able to play fast riff with ease but maintain enough "balls". It has a rather growly midrange that is very manageable with simple amp EQing. The high end is smooth but still prominent. It takes to volume and tone knob adjustments VERY well, as well as amp EQing. It does have an earlier breakup when compared to the PATB-3 (from what I understand) but that's what we have neck pickups for! :P
    As with all Parallel Axis pickups, it has sustain for days and plenty of harmonic content. Its a definite keeper!

I have a PATB-14-7 as well but haven't really had time to play around with it a whole lot yet. I can guess its going to be a VERY loud, VERY thick sounding pickup though. It'll be fun!

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to decide on a neck pickup though. I was figuring about getting a PATB-1n-7 made for me but want a little more info before I bite the bullet. If anyone has any other suggestion, that'd be great! Whatever it is, I'm going to PA it though lol!
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams. - Arthur O'Shaughnessy (from Ode)

"The Seymour Duncan Emo: a pickup for those who like to cut through the mix and cut through their wrists!" - ratherdashing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OH! Thought I'd mention that AJ Popoff from Lit (Yeah. That's right. Lit. Get over it!) uses a PATB-1b in his guitars exclusively. I know his go into a Carvin Legacy and a Marshall of some type.