Thread: Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal – With Fasel inductor

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal – With Fasel inductor

So, after a long time searching for a wah pedal that fit me, my quest is in fact over. My first wah, sadly, was attached to my Boss ME-50 pedal, and was anything but spectacular. Next, I moved on to a standard crybaby, that I bought not knowing anything about wahs, thinking it was the logical wah to own. When that one sounded to shrill to my ears, I went with a salesman recommendation to try Vox. Although it did cure the shrillness problem, it did not produce what I wanted, specially with heavier gain. I sold all of them, and had been wah-less for about a year.

So after some research, I walked into a store last week with the intension of getting a Weeping Demon. After playing it through a mesa stiletto ace and a PRS CU24, I knew this was not the wah for me. The salesman then recommended that I try the 535Q. After explaining the controls, I plugged it in, and tried to for agood little while. The main controls are the ‘wah type’ selector, the volume boost adjustement knob, the Q control, and the boost switch.

My first impression was that this pedal was very, very vocal sounding. This is pretty much what I was looking for. I heard that this is due to the fasel inductor (the red one), that gives it this property. The problem I had with the original crybaby was gone with this one, as the big chrome knob on the side that selects different voicing will have different sweeps, making it either really piercing or really smooth. Add the Q knob to that, and you can dial in any sound you want. Another thing I noticed right away was that the sweep was smoother, with less of a ‘drop off’ than the crybaby I had.

The Q knob and the voicing knob are what makes this wah. The large chrome one is the voicing. If you turn it up, your entire sweep range goes higher, giving you that more defined in your face high-mids heavy sound. As you progress down, the range changes, up to a very low-mid heavy sound. Out of the 6 positions, the middle 2 are my favorite, with a really throaty vocal midrange, specially with a bit of distortion, or a muff. You owe it to yourself to try this this with a EHX Big Muff Pi. Also, a nice feature of this wah, is that with all the adjustements, you can find a setting where distortion doesn't completely kill you sound. I had a lot of trouble with the vox under heavy gain.

After getting it home, and playing with it for about a week, I can say that I am sticking with this wah. The bottom line is this : This wah can’t really be resumed in a review online, as the sounds that can come from this wah are very, very varied. That is the beauty of it. If you like the crybaby, but wish you could tweek it, this is the one. When off, it is dead quiet and doesn’t affect my tone to a point where I notice, and the boost is real nice to have when you want to drive that amp a little (up to +10db). The build is like any other crybaby, which makes it a tank. The little manual that comes with it has instructions on how to set it for different sounds (clean, crunch, distortion, etc.) according to artist wah sounds, and it pretty much nails all of them.

Pros :
    - Very versatile, odds are you can find ''your'' wah sound in there
    - Built like a tank
    - Boost is very usefull
    - Great sound. Very vocal, nice sweep, great overall sounding wah.

Cons :
    - The 9v adapter is still behind the output jack, like all crybaby pedals
    - The volume and the Q knob are small and dark, making on the fly adjustments in a live situation impossible.
    - No LED indicator

If you are a fan of the crybaby, but wish you had that classic wah sound, but with a massive ammount of flexibility, check this pedal out. It’s hard for me to cover every sound from this pedal, or answer all questions, so if you have any, please ask, and I will do my best to answer. I know a few of you must have tried this wah, please post your opinions.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal – With Fasel inductor

Nice review-it's my favorite wah that I've used, in fact I think I might need to get on!
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

supernosher

Have you tried a Snarling Dogs Super-Bawl Whine-O-Wah? If so, how do they compare?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yea i heard good things about this pedal i want one.
    I had a friend once he took some acid
    Now he thinks he's a fire engine
    It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
    Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by supernosher View Post
    Have you tried a Snarling Dogs Super-Bawl Whine-O-Wah? If so, how do they compare?
    I have not. I am going down to a music store later today, if there is one in stock, I will try it, and let you know.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

supernosher

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    I have not. I am going down to a music store later today, if there is one in stock, I will try it, and let you know.
    awesome!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

awesome!
    Sorry dude, no luck with having the wah you mentioned in stock.

supernosher

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    Sorry dude, no luck with having the wah you mentioned in stock.
    Hey no problem! Thanks for the effort.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 535Q w/ Fasel has been my wah weapon of choice since 2003. Glad you like yours! I love mine... it really talks. It's great for getting those low vocal "gulping" sounds that Satriani is so good at.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey no problem! Thanks for the effort.
    My effort shall continue. A lot of bros have helped me out on this forum to compare gear. I'm hitting up a few more stores this week in my price quest for my mesa cab. I will see one, and when I do, I will compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    The 535Q w/ Fasel has been my wah weapon of choice since 2003. Glad you like yours! I love mine... it really talks. It's great for getting those low vocal "gulping" sounds that Satriani is so good at.
    It is man. What I really dig is how you can get those gulps to sound so smooth even with the most killer distortion. It doesn't get 2 sharp on the high end, and you can really hear the big gulp as you described when you sweep up to the high pitch.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice review, Phil! I've had the same track record as you (Crybaby, Vox, 535Q) and I completely agree. The 535Q is the best wah I've ever had. The chrome knob is great for finding the right frequency to cut through the mix on the fly.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heres a review I got from harmony central about the Fasel inductor in The Dunlop wah pedals
    I am not sure if its 100% realible, but you be the judge

Ease of Use : 5
    I purchased a red and yellow Fasel and modded a stock Crybaby with a 3 position rotory switch (with chickenhead knob) to select any of the three inductors...yellow, red and stock black Dunlop.

Sound Quality : 7
    I put the ability to select from the yellow, red and black inductors, to demonstrate the differences in tone from one to the other.

I've tried the pedal with a variety of amps and guitars, including a Telecaster, Les Paul Standard, and other guitars with mostly Duncan humbuckers of different types. I tried the pedal into everything from a modded Roland Micro Cube, to several Fender amps. I tried a few different distortion pedals before and after the wah pedal.

THE RESULTS ARE IN!

The YELLOW FASEL is the thinnest of the three. It sounds like the sweep has less of the mid peak that's swept, and acts a little more like a bass to treble control, with a little of the vocal mid in it. It was fairly disappointing, but I can hear applications where it would be useful. It seemed like the tuning cap was changed for a smaller one, raising the response of the whole pedal.

The RED FASEL clearly is fuller with a deeper vocal quality. The high end is smooth, the low end thick. It had that "puking" tone quality the yellow doesn't. It was the best of the three in tone, fullness and smoothness.

But the RED FASEL sounded nearly identical to the stock, black Dunlop inductor. They measure slightly differently, but sonically, you'd be hardpressed to hear the difference. With the ability to change inductors at the touch of a switch, it is easy to compare the tones of all three inductors.

Unless the quality control for the stock, black inductor is poor, and I may have a particularily good one, it is virtually identical to the red Fasel. Save your pennies. I've been around music equipment as a player, repair tech, and build guitars, amps and effects going back to the late 60's. I can recommend one resistor change that will give you more of a kick than replacing the black inductor with a Red or Yellow Fasel.

As with so much in this area, if you are convinced there will be a sonic improvement, then that's what you will hear. But blindfolded, if you were playing my particular Crybaby, you'd clearly hear the thinner yellow Fasel, but you'd be hard pressed to hear any difference between MY stock Dunlop and the Red Fasel.

Reliability : 7
    It's just an inductor...I don't need backup...I have two others on board.

Customer Support : No Opinion
    I haven't spoken to anyone at Dunlop, and I doubt if I need to.

Overall Rating : 5
    I play anything and work on equipment from any type of musician you could find. I love using wah sparingly. I have been modding wah pedals for many, many years. My standard mods usually include adding a 6 position frequency switch, a second inductor with a switch to select one or the other or both in series, a resistor change to increase the resonant peak, and an internal trimpot to help match the wah volume with the bypassed volume. I also can mod a crybaby so it will access the full rotation of the pedal.

The Red Fasel MIGHT be a worthwhile move to improve a Wah, but don't expect miracles. The yellow might be good for some applications, maybe with detuned guitars or thick muddy humbuckers. I can't see using it though, with the red or stock inductor available.

With the Crybaby in question, I put everything back to stock, save for the switch and two extra inductors.