Thread: 2 Duncan Designed™ P90-2 Pickups with Alnico 5 Magnets (Neck/Bridge)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 2 Duncan Designed™ P90-2 Pickups with Alnico 5 Magnets (Neck/Bridge)

2 Duncan Designed™ P90-2 Pickups with Alnico 5 Magnets (Neck/Bridge)

are these any good?? they are in a fender squire telecaster that im interested in.
    I had a friend once he took some acid
    Now he thinks he's a fire engine
    It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
    Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 Duncan Designed™ P90-2 Pickups with Alnico 5 Magnets (Neck/Bridge)

are you looking at a squier tele custom II? ask away...

if so, my understanding is that those ones are 2xA2 magnets in each p/up. i enjoyed playing on them, they were quite good for anything up to metal gain-wise and worked fine clean, although i have played other p90s with better cleans; to me they sounded a little overwound for completely pristine cleans, but were great through a few different amps with varying amounts of gain

Ultimate Tone Slacker Mark Cearlock's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2 Duncan Designed™ P90-2 Pickups with Alnico 5 Magnets (Neck/Bridge)

Quote Originally Posted by dr. ad View Post
    are you looking at a squier tele custom II? ask away...

if so, my understanding is that those ones are 2xA2 magnets in each p/up. i enjoyed playing on them, they were quite good for anything up to metal gain-wise and worked fine clean, although i have played other p90s with better cleans; to me they sounded a little overwound for completely pristine cleans, but were great through a few different amps with varying amounts of gain
    I will second that. These things rip with gain. The neck pickup alone is a blues monster with the tone rolled off a bit. I did end up swapping gaurds on mine to have a custom 5 and a aph-5, though. (I like this combo even better!)
    2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's tribute
    Fender Mustang 3
    Bugera v5
    Fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

cool sounds good, remember these are seymour designed not SD's
    I had a friend once he took some acid
    Now he thinks he's a fire engine
    It's okay until he pisses on your lighter
    Kinda smells kinda cool kinda funny anyway

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They're not the quality of materials or workmanship as Seymour Duncan PU's, but with P-90's you have 2 magnets per coil (with HB's you 1/2 magnet per coil), so the magnets play a much larger part in the tone.

You have a lot more room to change a P-90's sound with magnets, so you can make cheaper ones sound pretty good (with a HB, the windings are paramount and you can do just so much with magnets). If your P-90's tones aren't quite what you want, try an A5/A2, A5/A3, or A5/A4 magnet pair in the neck, and an A8/A4 or A8/A5 pair in the bridge. You can really dial in what you want.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i didn't mag swap on the duncan-designed ones, i wanted to try a few other p/ups... it's probably not a bad option though
    these p/ups were what got me thinking initally that the duncan designed were basically overwound versions of existing Duncans made in Korea, the ones i had in my tele kicked ar$e

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A question on the p90s on the Squier Telecaster Custom II - can it be retrofitted with humbucker-sized pickups?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by neuro182 View Post
    A question on the p90s on the Squier Telecaster Custom II - can it be retrofitted with humbucker-sized pickups?
    Yes it can! (although, if you want to use a 59, or other long legged baseplate pickup, you will have to do a little modification to the pickup cavity. And you will have to cut the pickup hieght screws down just a bit, or they bottom out.) And incidently, I have a brand new black pickgaurd for one. (ordered 2 at the time, one for the squier and one for my warmoth tele deluxe (but it didnt fit the warmoth, so I have an extra.)

Attachment 14078

Attachment 14079

Attachment 14080

Attachment 14081
    Last edited by Mark Cearlock; 02-02-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Fender Mustang 3
    Bugera v5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never give up P-90's! It makes sense converting from HB to P-90, but never the other way around. Sacrilege!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Never give up P-90's! It makes sense converting from HB to P-90, but never the other way around. Sacrilege!
    Kinda wish I would have tried magnet swaps on these before I swapped..
    Oh well, The pgn in the neck is heaven..Soon the c-5 will be a cc, and hopefully heaven +2. If that doesnt work, it gets a a-8.
    Fender Mustang 3
    Bugera v5

Ultimate Tone Member veryhungrycaterpilla's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have played a Squier Tele Custom II. the pups were great for bluesy tone. Clean they were ok. I echo the others in the thread.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'm glad you asked...

just want to elaborate on the above; i bought a p90 model and have since converted it to humbucker <dodges blueman's chair> so can confirm this is not only possible, but a very good idea.

i got mine to use for clean stuff and blues but liked playing it so much it became my main guitar after i set it up properly; this meant using it for really heavy stuff and i didn't have a noise gate at the time, hence the temporary humbucker conversion...

i believe the body itself is the same between the p90 and humbucker models, as the routing accomodates both types of pickup (1 model = less manufacturing cost). you need a pickguard/scratchplate that's routed for humbuckers though as the p90 routes in the scratchplate are too wide. it needs to be the specific one for this model or you may need to cut it around the neck joint, but most of the screw holes don't line up on mine anyway so buyer beware i guess. i don't care about the screw holes, i'll just drill more if i feel the need.

getting the pickguard or scratchplate becomes more difficult outside the US as fender australia (for example) wanted $60AUD and there would have been a 4 month wait; i went through an online shop in the US called 'guitar parts guru' or something similar (don't have the details handy but can find them) that i read about on the TDPRI tele forum... suggest the other southern hemisphere boys try something similar as i suspect fender's efforts may be pretty poor in these areas.

FYI - i believe that fender have made these guitars with the square neck heel (instead of the rounded strat neck heel on the original customs) to stop people using these as a source of non-genuine-fender parts. i called up and was asking about custom necks because i like the headstocks better and they seemed less than impressed... i have been known to suspect fender of being evil though.

these guitars are good value for money IMO and give players the option of switching between real p90s and humbuckers on the same guitar for cheap

and to pre-empt the 'what about humbucking p90s' question, there's 2 good reasons to do the above instead - you'd need to either heavily modify the existing or fabricate your own mounting hardware; and that noiseless p90s invariably suck or require body modification. only good one i've tried so far has been a super distortion, which somewhat defeats the purpose of maintaining a p90 guitar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'm glad you asked...

just want to elaborate on the above; i bought a p90 model and have since converted it to humbucker <dodges blueman's chair> so can confirm this is not only possible, but a very good idea.

i got mine to use for clean stuff and blues but liked playing it so much it became my main guitar after i set it up properly; this meant using it for really heavy stuff and i didn't have a noise gate at the time, hence the temporary humbucker conversion...

i believe the body itself is the same between the p90 and humbucker models, as the routing accomodates both types of pickup (1 model = less manufacturing cost). you need a pickguard/scratchplate that's routed for humbuckers though as the p90 routes in the scratchplate are too wide. it needs to be the specific one for this model or you may need to cut it around the neck joint, but most of the screw holes don't line up on mine anyway so buyer beware i guess. i don't care about the screw holes, i'll just drill more if i feel the need.

getting the pickguard or scratchplate becomes more difficult outside the US as fender australia (for example) wanted $60AUD and there would have been a 4 month wait; i went through an online shop in the US called 'guitar parts guru' or something similar (don't have the details handy but can find them) that i read about on the TDPRI tele forum... suggest the other southern hemisphere boys try something similar as i suspect fender's efforts may be pretty poor in these areas.

FYI - i believe that fender have made these guitars with the square neck heel (instead of the rounded strat neck heel on the original customs) to stop people using these as a source of non-genuine-fender parts. i called up and was asking about custom necks because i like the headstocks better and they seemed less than impressed... i have been known to suspect fender of being evil though.

these guitars are good value for money IMO and give players the option of switching between real p90s and humbuckers on the same guitar for cheap

and to pre-empt the 'what about humbucking p90s' question, there's 2 good reasons to do the above instead - you'd need to either heavily modify the existing or fabricate your own mounting hardware; and that noiseless p90s invariably suck or require body modification. only good one i've tried so far has been a super distortion, which somewhat defeats the purpose of maintaining a p90 guitar.
    Guitar parts resource. I do have an extra, I'd let go for 15+ shipping....http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/p...telesquier.htm
    Fender Mustang 3
    Bugera v5

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ehh, not really.

Telecaster necks have always had the square neck heel. The only teles that didn't used the STRAT necks. But those were the 70's DELUXE models, with twin wide range humbuckers (and the reissues are the same). The 70's Custom models had a tele neck with the square heel. I have a Fender 72 Custom reissue ('bucker in teh neck, tele bridge plate/pickup, standard tele neck) and it.....since it has the tele neck, has the normal square tele heel.

So.....since they're calling this a custom, and using a tele neck on it, it makes sense to have the normal tele square heel.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like'em ... output wise it's between SD vintage P-90 - hot P-90. That's what I need. And yes, they rips with gain. My Gibson P-90s are very noisy when I crank'em up but they are warmer than DD P-90s. Actually I'm looking for another DD P-90 neck pickup coz I want to make triple P-90s configuration using these DD P-90s.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Amen! Testify my brother!! Preach the word of tone!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.