Thread: Swapped my EMGs...

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Swapped my EMGs...

Around, that is, in my PRS SE model. I had the 85 in the bridge, and the 60a in the neck... now the 60a is in the bridge, 85 in the neck. I think it works better this way. Before, my neck position was crystal clear and sensitive while my bridge sort of blustered. Now my neck is fat and smooth, and my bridge is sensitive and clear. The two positions balance out better I think. It's more of a cohesive guitar rather than two pickups with different tonalities. Even high gain chugging on the bridge sounds a heck of a lot better with the 60a than it did with the 85, though the 85 in the neck is heavy enough for liquid type solos and even some riffage. It sounds more like my guitar this way, rather than the pickups imposing their sound on the guitar. This is good, because it had soapbars stock (which were moved to my strat, digging it) and it was a really natural sound, so I'm glad to have that back with the switch to 60a bridge and 85 neck. I won't try and analyze why it works better this way, but it does, and I'm glad that I picked the 85 and 60a due to their swapability. Though I'll note that it does take some getting used, leaving the guitar volume at 3-4. That's where I get my best sounds, even with higher gain. There's just too much output on tap with those preamps, I guess it comes in handy with some setups but with mine I only need a quarter of the available power, tops.

It seems like for me, my setups never work well the first time... it takes time, adjustments, and contemplation to bring my tonal goals to fruition. And if often takes me considering selling something, in order to fully explore its possibilities, to make sure I REALLY want to sell it... if that makes any sense.

Anyways, thanks for reading, just wanted to share some thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Mojo's Minions Petrovsk Mizinski's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Swapped my EMGs...

Weird that you say the preamps have heaps of output....... when I heard all the hype a few years ago about how EMGs were really high output, well, I was seriously underwhelmed.
    I was expecting this uber hot pickup from what people had made them out to be, when in reality their are heaps of passive pickups that can crush them for sheer output.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HughesJB4 View Post
    Weird that you say the preamps have heaps of output....... when I heard all the hype a few years ago about how EMGs were really high output, well, I was seriously underwhelmed.
    I was expecting this uber hot pickup from what people had made them out to be, when in reality their are heaps of passive pickups that can crush them for sheer output.
    Agreed. I found EMG's more clear and incredibly focused than high output. Any higher output Duncan (Custom, JB, Distortion, etc) has more output to my ears, but that might be a function of the EQ of the pickups. I just put Blackouts in my guitar and I do find those to be high output, but, they have more of the sonic signature of passive Duncans, so EQ might play a role there as well. They still have that "active clean" thing going on though (ie, even though they're higher output, both pickups can still get very clean).

-Austin
    Last edited by austin; 04-07-2009 at 04:38 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose if I raised my passives as close to the strings as the EMGs, I may not consider the EMGs super hot. But with my passives set up to sound their best (further away from the strings), and the EMGs set up to sound their best (really close to the strings, what EMG's site recommends and I find it to be true) then they start overdriving my amp at 4 on my guitar volume. It's like the whole sound is going through a boost pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds